StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang me an a buddy are doing a 4 day trip up into the Catskills from down in Baltimore and would like to know of some nice roads or anything we should not miss. I figure we would base out of Kingston for two days so any advice would be welcomed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In the thread I made right below this one, someone suggested to me Rt 47 near Big Indian. Might want to check that out, looks pretty good.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I want to get as many as I can when we are up there in two weeks. I have been in the area before but only for skiing in the winter and as a kid when my dad used to take me up there hunting as a boy and that was almost 40 years ago.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There are so many awesome roads in the Catskills, it's hard to count. But I'll give you a few that I find memorable.:thumbup:

Peekamoose road. Twisty and fun, the road is not in the greatest condition, but it's not bad.

This pict is from Yaegerville Rd it's right next to Peekamoose Rd. Both are off RTE 55A.

RTE 47 Frost Valley, very Similar to Peekamoose. Another winner!

Rte 47

RTE 28A, Twisty and smooth sailing.:yesnod:

Barkaboom Road. Beautiful, twisty and scenic. It's like going back in time.

Barkaboom road. Get out the time machine.:thumbup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG these are great! I can't wait for next Thursday. Thank you so much and for the maps too! I printed each of them out for me and my buddy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suggest you pick up a copy of "Gunks Trails" by Edward Harvey. Harvey is a forest ranger in the Shawangunks, that part of the Catskills between about Ellenville and Kingston and including Minewaska and Mohonk. He has a lot of information on roads and trails as well as the geography and geology of the area. New Paltz would be a good base for exploration of the area. Of course, I'm a little biased since I went to college there about 40 yers ago

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the book advise. My dad moved to Gardnier, NY which is just down the road. We are going to come up through Hazelton, PA and hit the Catskills from the South West and then stay in Kingston as a base of operations for two days. We figure we can hit many of the already suggested roads and then maybe do West Point since we are both former Army Pukes and my buddy has never been there. The ride out of there North bound on the River has some awsome views and it would be a cool place for some pictures. If I can figure out to do it I will try and post them on here for all to enjoy once we get back.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah this is exactly what I am looking for. I am checking the long range forcast and it is looking sweet for our big ride. Ok for many of you it is not a big ride but it is huge for me. Thanks for the ideas and the Pics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JCCC I did them all!

Thanks JCCC I did everyone of them to include West Point and 218 on the Hudson. I hope that was you today on Rt 47 heading North Bound. It looked like someone that knew every inch of that road from the way they were handeling that Strom. I hopefully will post some pics when I get home of this great adventure. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Again

Riding down Fryburg, PA way tomorrow to visit the Washington House Inn and partake of the weekend buffet. Fryburg is just down the road from Lickingville, former home of the now defunct Zig-Zag Bar at 69 beaver St. All you old PA riders probably have fond memories of the place and mabey even a souvenir T-shirt that sez, "Eat at the Y". Anyway, its a nice day ride from up here in Nyawk and the food is top shelf. Cya on the road.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Whew!

Got there too early for the buffet so ordered the Dino Burger instead, OY! it still hurts. Had to go for a walk and smoke a stogie which took about an hour before I could swing my leg back over the saddle. The old Inn looks like it's seen better days but the food is good. Meandered back to NY via Oil City and Rt.62 and 666 and back thru Bradford where we further abused ourselves with pie ala mode and coffee. 666 is looking good with some fresh pavement and only a short stretch of tar & chip twixt Truemans and Lynch. Good road on a Strom no matter what shape it's in.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Again

Tomorrow it's down to Bellefonte to see the sights and hopefully avoid all the football game traffic. That'll all be over State College way anyhow. If you see a grey Strom, yellow SV-650 and red Ducati Monster, give us a wave.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Goodun

Had a wonderful ride down to Bellefonte and back with only one near deer encounter just south of Emporium. Saw only one other Strom in Pt. Allegany but he didn't see us. Met a pack of Canadian sport tourers there as well on their way home from blitzing the PA backroads. They commented on the numerous deer and I retorted that they need not worry as me and my chums were running interference for them. Today was valve clearance inspection time and everything was hunky-dory so the cams stayed in. I'll go visit my bud Ritchie tomorrow and borrow his SDS for the TBS and idle adjustment. Looking forward to lots more fall riding to come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts