StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Suzuki DL650s are reliable but getting stuck in a strange locality can happen. I was lucky enough recently to have back up close at hand. I also realise that insurance will cover the cost of pick up after an accident and that you can join a motoring club to get assistance but s*** can happen in the middle of the most glorious day a long way from home.:yikes:
Is there any way we could post a list of forum members who are willing to help out in cases of emergency and where they are located and what they can offer.:confused:
This information would need to be handled carefully.
One idea I had could work like this. If I was planning a ride from my place to Bingara for example I could post my intentions on the forum, with my planned route and dates etc. if you were interested in providing some form of assistance you could send a private message with details of the assistance you'd be willing to provide in case of emergency. Not oh bugger I'm out of beer.
Any one else thinking along these lines or am I just dreamin'?:mod2_scooter:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
RACQ
NRMA
RACV
Any of those...

Always available, all areas, all the resources, peace of mind, ~150/ year

·
Registered
152 Posts
Better use the professionals, I recently used NRMA for rear flat, good service and special tie down straps. Years ago I was towing two bikes on a three bike trailer pulled by my trustee 1973 corolla 1200. I came across a BMW rider stranded with wheel bearing failure ( I think they still fail) and offered him a lift, he took one look at my car with the tow bar 4 inches off the ground and shook his head saying no thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yep I have NRMA on the bike---the big worry is ambulance cover- make sure it blankets all states,they are very expensive taxi's.
Which couldn't possibly be part of what the original post was all about.

And you're automatically covered if your injuries are the result of a vehicle accident, that's what your green slip is for (or the insurance part of the rego in most states).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Which couldn't possibly be part of what the original post was all about.

And you're automatically covered if your injuries are the result of a vehicle accident, that's what your green slip is for (or the insurance part of the rego in most states).
:yesnod:

Fell off last year near Mt. Dare and broke both thumbs and two fingers.

TAC (in Vic) covered the 550 km trip (diesel) in my mates Pajero to Alice Spings, and the flight back to Melbourne and most of the medical.

Finally got a bit back on the all the insurance (2 cars/2 bikes) I have been paying for 30 years. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Is there any way we could post a list of forum members who are willing to help out in cases of emergency and where they are located and what they can offer.
That's called the Ulysses Club and if you think I'm joking I'm not.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
... Is there any way we could post a list of forum members who are willing to help out in cases of emergency and where they are located and what they can offer.:confused:
It's called the "Travel Registry" and if you'll look on the Main Forum Page you'll find it right above "Feedback to Suzuki" in the V-Strom Forums section.

·
Registered
32 Posts
NRMA won't help if you bend a wheel, as they class that as an impact not a breakdown. :(
They should offer towing (but in my case, didn't).

Leon

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
If you have insurance and the bike is unrideable as a result of an accident whatever service is due under the policy should apply. It shouldn't make any difference whether it's just a buckled or bent rim from a rock or pot hole or the forks and handlebars are bent because you hit a roo.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's really very simple....
If the vehicle is damaged/ stolen/ pranged/ pretzeled/ bent to the shitter/ un-rideable after a Whoopsie....(full-comp-) insurance comes to the rescue.

If it's broken down (but principally functional with the aid of a small fix to one of it's components like battery/ choked air-cleaner, loose electrical connector, flat tyre, broken chain etc etc), then it's part of the auto-club cover (ANY of them!).

If it's physical impairment caused by a road-accident, it's Green Slip/ compulsory 3. Party insurance to the rescue.

If it's a general accident like braking a leg on the descent from Ayers Rock or a spider bite etc etc and ambulance transport is needed, it's out of your own pocket if you haven't got ambulance cover (or private health insurance, which almost always includes ambulance cover).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts