StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that I hear a lot of people end the riding season for the year when salt is put down first?
too cold?
I get that.

Sorry if it's a noob question but I am a noob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,194 Posts
Because they know that at the first evidence of salt their bike will immediately decompose into a pile of corroded metal.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Why is it that I hear a lot of people end the riding season for the year when salt is put down first?
too cold?
I get that.

Sorry if it's a noob question but I am a noob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
Salt is hard on metal and some folks get scared of debris on the road so they simply hang up riding until spring. I am not one of these folks. Heated gear and a 3rd wheel extend my season to year round and all conditions. :kiss:

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cold weather, icy patches, loose salt and gravel takes the fun out of it for me. As soon as the temperature dips below 0 c the bikes are parked until it warms up in the spring. Used to stud the tires on dirt bikes and ride on lakes and hard packed snow but it was freaking cold no matter what I wore.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Same bunch that think 30k km is a "high mileage" bike.

Never have yet seen an issue from whatever they put on these days which is not likely salt.

Motor loves the cold air. C3 helmet is fog free...heated innersoles and gloves...I'm good to 0 C and perhaps a bit below if it's dry.

They use some sort of a sprayed on brine here in S Ontario.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Never have yet seen an issue from whatever they put on these days which is not likely salt.

Motor loves the cold air. C3 helmet is fog free...heated innersoles and gloves...I'm good to 0 C and perhaps a bit below if it's dry.

Damn right. At least in most of the US northeast, it is in fact rock salt (NaCL) so is corrosive. But the important bits are made of Aluminum anyway. If I can, I'll rinse the bike off once the temps get above freezing and ride to dry it. Mine hasn't rusted, and in five years of year-round daily riding, the worst weathering has instead been from the summer sun - faded paint, chalky plastics, clouded headlights and ruined windscreen.

The worst thing for any bike is to sit outside unridden, especially under a cover. Mine stays uncovered unless I know a salt truck is on the way.

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
I ride all year and get anxious for winter riding, it's exhilarating and especially peaceful during the worse snowstorms when no one else is on the road.

I've prolly got more experience with a motorcycle in winter salt than anybody else here
#1 Use dielectric grease on all your electrical connections, double wrap the more exposed sections of the wire harness
#2 Use ACF50,
#3 After every ride, clean your calipers & pads with Brakleen, regrease the slide pins, clean & lube chain, use heavy lithium grease, inspect shift linkage and clean & lube as necessary

Cold Air = Free Horsepower

Go to the darkside with a winter tire and stud up a front knobby, be surprised beyond your wildest imagination

·
Administrator
13,194 Posts

My understanding is that brine is a strong solution of salt dissolved in water.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
"Salt" has a wide range of composition ...it's not just sodium chloride

Sodium chloride (salt), magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, calcium magnesium acetate and potassium acetate are chemicals used to prevent and remove snow and ice from roadways. VDOT uses liquid magnesium chloride, calcium chloride and sodium chloride for anti-icing and pre-treatment. Sodium chloride and calcium chloride in dry form are used for de-icing but can be used in some cases for anti-icing.
Magnesium and calcium chloride do a better job than sodium chloride

Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride –
These products can melt ice at lower temperatures than salt. Both chemicals in liquid form can be used for anti-icing.

·
Administrator
13,194 Posts
"Salt" has a wide range of composition ...it's not just sodium chloride

Magnesium and calcium chloride do a better job than sodium chloride

I think the common usage of the word "Salt" is for Sodium Chloride or NaCl; otherwise known as common salt or Table Salt. There are all kinds of "Salts" which I believe are kinds of minerals dissolved in water. (I have limited knowledge of chemistry.) But if someone says they put salt on the sidewalk, driveway or road they would most likely be referring to common salt.

York Region's web site mentions adding "Beet Juice" to the rock salt they use. They don't mention the content of the brine apart from calling it salt brine. I suspect if it was anything other than common salt they would say something but it would be good to confirm.

I think people blame every bit of corrosion on salt. I have done a lot of riding on salted roads and not found it an issue. I once passed a brine truck heading up the 400 and got totally covered in brine with no ill effects apart from barely being able to see anything. There was a Strom in Bancroft that the engine casings had all kinds of corrosion. He never drove it on salted roads.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Been riding since the 60s and mains mean of transportation since 1973. Ride all year and every day if ice not covering the roads. Rode to IBM 19 of 27 years on 3rd shift machine floor . If below ten degrees called for or big snow ice did not take the bike on the 97 mile round trip. Some times the weather man got it wrong and hit some snow and a few times ice. One big ice storm came in when going home and about every thing shut down. Took me three hours for the usual less than hour trip. Salt is really hard on a motorcycle.All that I ride through the winter look bad on the bottom and will discolor the cases.
My new 01 1500 Nomad got two new front fenders from Kaw because rust ruined them.Put over 82,000 in less than four years on it. It ate a wire in two on a 1400 Suzuki. On the Alaska trip think the stuff they spay had something to do with front wheel bearing going out early on my Wee. DeadHorse had snow and 28 degrees when we rolled in first week in June!If you want to keep a bike like new stay off salt covered roads.Some of the old bikes I bought just for work would be a ugly salt colored gray after a week on heavy salt covered roads. All so the clouds of salt dust are not great for you.:frown2:

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
There was a Strom in Bancroft that the engine casings had all kinds of corrosion. He never drove it on salted roads.

..Tom
ALL of my salt corrosion has been to ferrous or copper parts, no aluminum

I have some terrible engine case corrosion stemming from the fuel tank overflow........ ethanol corrosion

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When I worked a few hours a week in a shop a new customer brought a five year old 360 Honda in that had as much surface rust as any I had seen to be less than ten years old. He had been near the ocean in FL and the bike was all ways out side. Like me now he was not a wash and wax person. Have had other owners near a coast tell me you had to stay on top of the wash and wax or they would do that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lots of road salt in CT. When I ride in the winter, I use a garden sprayer to hose off the bike. I can't relax post-ride if my mind continues to wonder if there is corrosion going on!

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
You may be making it worse...if it's staying below freezing all you are doing is getting the salt into the crevices. I never wash the bike in the winter. Crystal salt does not hurt the bike ...it's only when there is liquid involved that the corrosion occurs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I washed the Nomad every ride in the salt with a even longer rinse up under the front fender after a brush and soap. The first fender had a bubble start at every point in large inter fender was spot weld to it. Then the bubble would pop after a time and a big rust spot!:surprise:
When dealer sent them the second fender after a call and pic they looked it over and told them to under coat it heavy when the second color matched came in. They gave it two coats and that did take care of it. My old 04 1700 RoadStar is doing it now on rear fender but not as bad.It has not seen as much road salt as usual ride now on salt is the Vstrom or C-50 with plastic fenders.

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
You may be making it worse...if it's staying below freezing all you are doing is getting the salt into the crevices. I never wash the bike in the winter. Crystal salt does not hurt the bike ...it's only when there is liquid involved that the corrosion occurs.

crystal if yer riding on a clear dry day

if it's sloppy out, yer getting splashed with liquid, might as well wash it off as bast as you can.

I have no place to wash at home in winter without making a skating rink in my driveway, so my closest option is a car wash 3 miles from my house, I wash there in winter on dry sunny days that are above freezing and roads are clear, so that I can ride those 3 miles home without mucking it up again, but since I've been using ACF50, I haven't been doing that, I don't want to wash the ACF50 off, the only cleaning I do in winter is detail stuff around the calipers & shift linkage, chain, etc. stuff that's done with an aerosol can with straw, and I can wipe up with a shop towel

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here in Colorado, they use mag chloride, after 17 years here, does not seem to have an corrosion impact, but they really spread that stuff heavy here, think of spreading copious amount of sand on the roads, which seems to collect in the curves and particularly in intersections of the side roads. Hitting the mag chloride really gets you attention, particularly if you have any degree of turn, seen several slide out on turning off into a side road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts