StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- looking for some opinions.

As a relative newbie, I encountered a situation the other day on a ride that I was not sure if there was a "biker's etiquette" for.

Riding along a rural two lane state road with moderate traffic- enjoying the weather and the ride when from way back I see a kid on a rocket passing everything in site. He comes up behind me and just hangs- I am doing like 65-70 and I moved to the right of the lane to give him as much room as possible to pass. He just sat there for several minutes...then finally shot by me like an idiot and continued to pass everything in site at a very high rate. Of course he had on a t-shirt and shorts.

My question then is this-

1. What is the right thing to do if another bike wants to pass?
2. How do you deal with the other traffic on the road that is now all pissed off at the "stupid bikers" and you are the only one left on the road with them?

I won't turn this into a rant...just the first time I have been approached and passed by another bike.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You did the right thing.
I drive fuel trucks. Very large ones, so I tend to be cautious whether on the bike or in the cab.
The best place for a tailgater or a test pilot is ahead of you, and favouring the right portion of the lane gives both of you the cushion YOU need, to escape a bad situation.
I would not be bullied by other bikes, but it was clear the rocket was going to want by soon enough.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do pretty much the same. I move to the right a bit and give a thumbs up with my left hand.

·
Registered
636 Posts
In that situation you move over to the right hand side of the lane and when it is safe to do so, wave the other rider through with your left hand. By doing so you are acknowledging that you are ready to be passed and are comfortable with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool- thanks for the quick responses. The finger that I wanted to turn up to the [email protected]# was not my thumb, but great idea for other situations!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Let 'em go.

I do what The Shepard does. Especially with dimwit squids like that. let 'em on by, they'll take themselves out of the gene pool soon enough. He was probably just hanging on your 6:30 seeing if you wanted to race or trying to figure out just what the heck that ugly geezer bike in front of him was. Like Peter Egan says, "Riding well is the best revenge." Ride your own ride and let the goofballs keep their distance.

·
Registered
589 Posts
2. How do you deal with the other traffic on the road that is now all pissed off at the "stupid bikers" and you are the only one left on the road with them?
Handle this by NOT being a stupid biker. Then all the stupid bikers are gone, and all that's left is you and the other traffic.

Seriously, when someone does stupid stuff in a car like that, people don't get peeved with all the other cars. Ride responsibly and very few people will have issues with you, even when the "stupid bikers" occasionally share the same stretch of road.

·
Registered
797 Posts
These are all very good posts. Even though I'm on the younger side, I tend to put-put when on two wheels. Sense of self preservation and all that. Given that fact, I'm often approached and then passed by other, faster bikers. I've learned to get out of their way and try to signal that it's ok for them to pass me. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't. In any case, I get to where I'm going, eventually :)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
In that situation you move over to the right hand side of the lane and when it is safe to do so, wave the other rider through with your left hand. By doing so you are acknowledging that you are ready to be passed and are comfortable with it.
+1. I'm not about to race a suicidal maniac on a sportbike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
1. What is the right thing to do if another bike wants to pass?
Pull over when safe to do so and I use my indicator to tell them I'm clear.

They won't associate you with the retard on a death wish, because you didn't copy him.
But you did good, and not make yourself part of someone else's problem:cool:

Happens to me sometimes but in fairness I normally make good progress and someone would need to be pretty suicidal to attempt to pass me, cos if I ain't going through then it's doubtful it's gonna be clear enough for anyone else.

Just wish other bikers would check their mirrors a little more often cos I hate upsetting them going at their own pace, in their own little world while I'm trying to get past. The other problem is coming up behind other bikers who seem to need enough room to allow a car to overtake before they go, hovering over the rear corner waiting, but also in the way of more confident or faster moving bikes.

Grrr:)

·
Hodad
254 Posts
In France (last summer's holiday) the bikes speed and lane-split all the time. If you're in a car and you see one of these guys coming up from behind the accepted courtesy is to move over within your lane to give the guy room to pass, and to give a couple blinks on your turn signal to show that you will stay out of his way on that side of the lane till he's past. Just about every time the passing biker would give a wave acknowledging the courtesy. It was pretty cool, as I didn't see one instance of car drivers begrudging the bikers their speed advantage by closing off an attempted pass.

Cheers,

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am a bit surprised at the apparent low consensus opinion of aggressive sportbikers.

I too think they assume too much risk. One time I had a guy on a rice rocket come out of hyperspace about 10 bike lenghths in front of me on a busy California freeway. At 75 mph he GOT OFF his bike placing both feet on the pavement on the left side of his bike, did a slow jig, re-mounted his bike and hit the hyperspace button again. He was "just showing off". He's a Darwin Award candidate if I've ever seen one.

I wish the young misguided man well. I hope he outlives his mistakes. If he was on drugs, I hope he kicks the habit. I hope they don't scrape him up off the freeway one day. I hope he doesn't cause a 10 car pileup on the freeway. I hope he doesn't even get a ticket before he develops a right mind and right behavior. (If he gets arrested and thrown in jail, I'm ok with that too. Maybe that is the best thing that can happen.)

I was young and stupid once, not that stupid, but I remember. A time or two I did really dumb things and people had a low opinion of me. And I made it.

I wish all riders well, even the wild risk takers, the loud pipes crowd and all the others. If someone is on two wheels, that's enough that I hope they do well.

And about the original question, I do what The Shepard does, I move over and wave these guys by.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
+1 on what just about everyone said - pull over in the lane when prudent to do so and wave them on past.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
+1 What The Shepherd says.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In France (last summer's holiday) the bikes speed and lane-split all the time. If you're in a car and you see one of these guys coming up from behind the accepted courtesy is to move over within your lane to give the guy room to pass, and to give a couple blinks on your turn signal to show that you will stay out of his way on that side of the lane till he's past. Just about every time the passing biker would give a wave acknowledging the courtesy. It was pretty cool, as I didn't see one instance of car drivers begrudging the bikers their speed advantage by closing off an attempted pass.

Cheers,
Over here in the UK too, I'm slightly disturbed that you're amazed with this everyday behavior that we're all accustomed too, guess people not so bike aware in the States??

And the effect is more apparent since I bought the Strom, those big headlights make more people scurry off the the edge seemingly desperate to get out the way.

·
Hodad
254 Posts
Over here in the UK too, I'm slightly disturbed that you're amazed with this everyday behavior that we're all accustomed too, guess people not so bike aware in the States??

Am I the 'you' that you're disturbingly amazed at, or are you referring to the original poster?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Am I the 'you' that you're disturbingly amazed at, or are you referring to the original poster?
Yea it's you:p What you described in France is standard over here too, a couple of morons who hate bikes but nothing to really worry about but in general most people allow bikes to get past.
It's your mention of seemingly normal behavior that makes me wonder how bad car drivers are to bikers over there in the States, hence disturbed & amazed!?!?

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I also pull over and let fools seek their own destiny. The only thing I might say is be careful when giving someone a "hand signal" to pass or anything else. Not long ago in Seattle, a motorist was held responsible for the death of a bicyclist who was hit by a car. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was a situation wher a bicyclist was approaching, the car driver slowed or stopped to give him way and motioned him to "go ahead" and when the cyclist went, another car smashed him. The court held that the driver who gave the hand wave was responsible for causing the cyclist to proceed and therefore resopnsible for what happened. Since then I never hand wave anyone. I just pull over and let them do whatever they want to do.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts