StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I got myself an Asus EEE PC 900HA on the weekend.

I'm having fun playing with it but have a question:

I will likely buy a portable dvd player in the future but if possible I would like to be able to copy some movies or TV series I have that are on DVDs onto my hard drive for when I go on trips. I had discoverd how to use a DVD drive that is on one of my home computers as a drive for the EEE PC through my home network. That works great for loading programs on the EEE PC.

I am not interested in priating or downloading movies, but if any of you can give me pointers as to how to copy discs onto the hard drive in a format I can watch I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything you need in one package, and very simple to operate.
Rip disk to hard drive, and decrypt using Dvd Decrypter. http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

Then run autogk, and let it create a nice xvid video for you. http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=Downloads

Stream that however you would like.
Thanks!

I have the first one running right now.. I am just trying to figure out getting the second.

I don't know that I come close to understanding the different terms in this program. iso, etc.

Any tips there would be appreciated!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
If you are running Windows on the EEE PC have a look at DVDFab. The interface is terrific.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Running the windows or the linux version?
in linux:
Command line -> dd if=/dev/[cdrom] of=/home/user/[file].iso
This makes a copy of the disc in iso format.
[cdrom] should be the device ID of the drive...just type mount to find a list (I asume it will be automounted)
[file] is anyname you want...just don't use spaces...

To watch: mount the image.
mount -o loop [file] /mnt
/mnt can be anywhere, but since /mnt was invented for this purpose...why not use it :)
Fire up your dvd player program and just browse to the /mnt folder if it doesn't already see it (should work fine)

Can you tell I'm a linux geek? ;)

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Running the windows or the linux version?
in linux:
Command line -> dd if=/dev/[cdrom] of=/home/user/[file].iso
This makes a copy of the disc in iso format.
[cdrom] should be the device ID of the drive...just type mount to find a list (I asume it will be automounted)
[file] is anyname you want...just don't use spaces...

To watch: mount the image.
mount -o loop [file] /mnt
/mnt can be anywhere, but since /mnt was invented for this purpose...why not use it :)
Fire up your dvd player program and just browse to the /mnt folder if it doesn't already see it (should work fine)

Can you tell I'm a linux geek? ;)
Windows Version.. I might setup a dual boot with linux in the future to learn about it.

..Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
A good program to mount iso images (or in fact most type of images) is daemon-tools. http://www.daemon-tools.cc
It can even mount game cds/dvds with copyprotection emulation (not needed for dvds)
It creates a virtual dvd-drive, to which it virtually inserts the disc in the image file :)
I loved the program...when I still used windows :p

DVDDecrypter can make images that can be used with daemon-tools.
(make sure to create an ISO image)

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rip disk to hard drive, and decrypt using Dvd Decrypter. http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

Then run autogk, and let it create a nice xvid video for you. http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=Downloads

I gave it a try with season 1 of "The Office". I ripped the DVD to the hard drive and then ran Autoigk. I pointed it at one of the files and after awhile it made an AVI that ran fine but didn't have sound.

Any quick idea what I did wrong?

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!

Before I entered my last message I re-ran the process as I thought i might have interupted it.. the re-running did the trick and it worked fine!

Thanks!

..Tom

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just a thought, why use a bunch of programs when one will do, and do it fast and very easy to use. Especially with limited program space on your PC.

I used Rip and Unprotect for the exact same reson you specified prior and during my travels around Oz. I just borrowed some DVDs, ripped an AVI movie from it and stored them on my HDD, once I had watched them, delete and rip some more :)

""Rip and Unprotect is an ultimate DVD ripping and backup tool. It can rip your DVD to AVI, iPod Format, PSP Format, VCD, WMV or SVCD. The fast and accurate ripping engine makes your dvd ripping job easy. Furthermore, you can backup your DVD to your hard drive for viewing or burning purposes. The resulting ripped file will have excellent image and sound quality.

This software removes all DVD protections system including CSS, Region, RCE, CSS, Sony ARccOS and others to enable you to make a smooth DVD copy.""

http://www.dpsof.com/app/ripun/ripun.htm

Cheers
TS

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought, why use a bunch of programs when one will do, and do it fast and very easy to use. Especially with limited program space on your PC.

I used Rip and Unprotect for the exact same reson you specified prior and during my travels around Oz. I just borrowed some DVDs, ripped an AVI movie from it and stored them on my HDD, once I had watched them, delete and rip some more :)
Thanks for the suggestion. However I don't mind a bit of effort with the free programs vs. paying.

I don't know that I will be doing it all that often, and if it becomes a hassle I am sure I'll look into a commercial solution.

Thanks,

..Tom

T

·
0 Posts
I'm also using DVDFab. Cost $70 but it works great on everything I own except some Sony Pictures movies with additional security. No problem loading into iTunes and playing on my iTouch or Classic or just on the PC or iMac.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
Dvd decrypter and autoGK are your best bet if you are short on harddrive space. You can get movies down to 750mb and they still looks pretty good. Depending on how you encode them you may need to also install ffdshow to get the audio to play.

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dvd decrypter and autoGK are your best bet if you are short on harddrive space. You can get movies down to 750mb and they still looks pretty good. Depending on how you encode them you may need to also install ffdshow to get the audio to play.
The other thing is that I am not yet currently short on space, but even If I was in my case I do the ripping on a home computer. I don't actually need to have the program on my netbook. I let the home computer do the rippping and the copy the resutls to the netbook.

The AutoGK seems to work fine for me so I think I'll stay with that. I ordered "Long Way Round" DVD's and should get them soon.. I should be able to put them on the 160 gb hard drive and have them with me to impress my Strom buddies when travelling... ;)

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now I have the "Long Way Round series and want to put it on my EEE PC.

I have ripped several movies and TV Shows from DVD without a hitch but "The Long Way Round" doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I've tried it three times and it just sits, seemingly stuck. I gave up after sitting for a day, while most moives were done sometime overnight before I got up in the morning.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

..Tom

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
So now I have the "Long Way Round series and want to put it on my EEE PC.

I have ripped several movies and TV Shows from DVD without a hitch but "The Long Way Round" doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I've tried it three times and it just sits, seemingly stuck. I gave up after sitting for a day, while most moives were done sometime overnight before I got up in the morning.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

..Tom
Could be that the DVD is scratched, or, has a type of copy protection not covered by your Ripper. I always FF through a new DVD to see if it hangs, although this still is not a guarantee that it will rip to the hard drive properly.

If the DVD is scratched, you local video store may have a machine to clean & buff the disc for little $. Family Video does this in the area in which I live. The machine they have does a better job than most anything you can buy yourself.

If the type of copy protection is the problem, you may need a different type of ripper, or may need to update or re-install the latest version of your ripper. Tough part can be finding a ripper that will work, though. There are new types of copy protection coming out all the time.

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This Long Way Roiund had me stumped so I went back to the beginning of this thread and realized the disks were probably protected (other disks I had ripped apparently were not). I think I just need to run DVDdecrypter and continue after that. Am doing that now.

Thanks again,

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts