StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I got these mounted on my 2012. I used SW Motech light brackets, and designed a custom wiring harness for the task. The harness uses two heatsunk Schottky diodes, two relays, and a three-position SPDT switch (on-off-on) for mode control. It's all wrapped in a big fat heat shrink tube (sans the heatsinks). Signalling power is tapped from the forward/headlight side of the bike's wiring via Posi-Tap connectors (so, I didn't tap into the actual bike wiring harness). The taps are inside heat shrink tubing. The relays are mounted via zipties behind the speedometer/display. All the wiring I used was marine grade stuff from West Marine, as was the switch I used.

The three modes are:
(1) Switch off: lights behave as per stock, D2 lights not used.
(2) Switch on left: lights behave as per stock, D2 lights are on with high beams.
(3) Switch on right: low beams are completely replaced with D2 lights, high beams behave as per stock.

The motivation for mode (3) is power savings: the D2 lights use about 20 watts, while the headlights use quite a bit more. This mode of operation is definitely not street legal.
Because I run Skene Design P3 tail lights along with a well lit top box, I can now pull the stock tail light bulb and switch to mode (3) to make available almost 100 extra watts of power.

The stock lights (high and low beams) are nothing short of pathetic in comparison to the D2s. There is no situation I can think of where I would want low beams on with the D2s.

(You must be logged in to see these pictures)

Highbeams only (for comparison, all pictures taken within 2 minutes of eachother):

Highbeams with D2s:

D2s only:

Left side mounting:

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very nice execution!

Thanks for all the technical info for others to re-create a similar set up.

I'll bet they're awesome on a dark back road...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been eyeballing those lites for a while. Look like they do pretty darn good.
Also been looking at the 6 inch lite bar from Rigid and trying to figure out how to mount it under the front of the fairing.
I try not to ride at nite due to the number or deer we have around here but either set of those lites look like they would put out a lot of useable lite for those times when I do get caught in the dark.
Thanks for posting this.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Very nice neat set up, good work.

That shot with them on with high beams, nice and bright! :thumbup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
How does that setup effect the wind turbulence at speed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You have that set up with many options. Good on ya. The look exactly like the Cree lights I just bought. I have 1 10degree and 1 90 degree. At 18w each they are pulling about half the watts of the D2 but at the cost of half the lumens as well (1500 each). Cost of these are only $77 for the pair. I have them set up to flood the everything between the bike and the low beams. This is so I can leave them on all the time to create constant triangulation and superb path of travel viewing even with headlights in my eyes. Just another option. ImageUploadedByMO Free1382641429.236301.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
115 Posts
D2 Lights

I'm looking to put the same lights on my bike. I have a couple of questions tho....why did you use the diodes and why 2 relays? I really like the way you have set up the operation of the lights. Could you post up a little wiring diagram for us who are a bit electrically challenged?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts