StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2019 XT Touring 650..

i took the end cap off throttle grip to install foam and cannot get the darn thing back on,

what is supposed to grip the screw, did something fall into the grip??

HELP!!

ps: FOAM grip is on nicely ...LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
figured it out...the rectangle threaded end, fell through ...crikey

now what??

going to try and fish it out

·
Registered
740 Posts
figured it out...the rectangle threaded end, fell through ...crikey

now what??

going to try and fish it out
Sorry this was not known (to you) before you started: The thing that fell into the handlebar tubing is not supposed to be completely disconnected from the bushing at the end of the tube. The part that fell in is an expanding device which, when the screw is in tension, has increased diameter so that it is all held in place by friction. The screw should not be removed, but merely loosened. Once it is loosened, the whole assembly can be slid out of the handlebar tube.

I mention this for others' benefit. For you, I suggest removing the other end's expander+screw+bushing, then blowing air in that end to push the "lost" expander out the right tube end.

·
Registered
740 Posts
... I suggest removing the other end's expander+screw+bushing, then blowing air in that end to push the "lost" expander out the right tube end.
If compressed air at the volume needed is too hard to come by, you could push a length of Romex in from the left handlebar end and push that expander out the right end. (Romex has the right combination of stiffness and flexibility for this, and it's very common.)

·
Registered
937 Posts
As long as you can pull the rubber bushing out, (use some kind of hook tool), you won't need to fish the nut out. Any nut with the correct thread will do. Assemble the unit loosely, put a dab of RTV or other glue on the nut to bushing interface, slide the whole thing back in, and tighten.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did the same thing on my DR650 - so I knew better :) - I used the wire hanger hook method - with some duct tape sticky side out at the end for additional help. The trick is never loosen the screws fully - just a few turns and then wiggle the end weight free. I'm sure by now you got it.
George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts