StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going dark side, I found it rather tight to fit the wheel in the usual way. Which side to lay it down, right or left, to avoid oil in the air filter?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Going dark side, I found it rather tight to fit the wheel in the usual way. Which side to lay it down, right or left, to avoid oil in the air filter?
I use a jack. The wheel slides right into place.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
After reading this several times I got the drift. Please buy a lift, they're cheap, and don't lay your bike on it's side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even if he has a stand it might still be hard to get in there since he does have a car tire on it. I would suggest just taking off the whole back end off the bike, shouldn't take long, just a hassle. Just take off the rack and rear side panels, and then the rear fender, it's a little tricky but not too hard. Then get the tire in there how you want it and put it back together.

If you don't have a stand you can pick one up for $40 bucks at harbor freight, or look around on craigslist. You could use car jack stand some how, or use a ladder and ratchet straps to keep the bike up, but the stand is really worth it.

If you're really set on putting the bike on it's side use a couple of tires to rest it on at least, I have to admit I am guilty of using the same technique but that was on a $400 and I didn't really care. As for which side is best I have no idea.

·
Registered
707 Posts
you may have to let the air out of the tire, then reinflate it
This is how I had to do my Goldwing too. Letting the air out reduces the size of the tire and allows for an inch or two of additional clearance. :beatnik:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would suggest just taking off the whole back end off the bike, shouldn't take long,
That was the best idea of all, sir. For some odd reason it did not never cross my mind. Thank you very much.

It took me full 10 minutes to take 4 bolts out of the rack and 2 off the the rear fender, then the rear fender goes up, no need to disconnect anything. New car tire slides right in, no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts