StromTrooper banner

Rifle storage on my Wee

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  CPT Wade 
#1 ·
Need some storage advice! I varmit hunt with an AR15 and have not found any good way to transport the rifle on my VStrom. I thought about using a Storage cannister on the non-muffler side for the upper reciever & barrell, but that would mean I need a tube 30" long! Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
Would you be willing to mount it exposed, not in a case? i am a mechanical designer and could design some sort of clamps to attach to the side of the bike opposite the exhaust like you mentioned. I have an 2011 wee to get measurements.

#4 ·
Hey there.
I used my 08 650 to bird hunting in northern maine this fall. It was perfect because i could get way up fire trails and park and beat the brush. I have HT panniers and with them both on they made a good shelf to strap the 12 gauge across the back in its cheap case. I cinched it down with p cord and old sleeping pads. Easy and solid. I wish i had some pictures, but alas. It was very effective. I was able to pull the gun out at one point and blast a grouse off the trail with my MC jacket on. Hope that helps. My 12 gauge is old and obviously has no optics, so.

#5 ·
I use a "gun boot" ,by Kolpin I believe, on my ATV for rifle transport. Not sure how well an AR would fit in it. I am sure you can find them anywhere...mine from Cabelas. Then its just a matter of mounts and there are lots of options. Quick detach also.

I ....for some inexplicable reason, decided I needed to ride my Strom to the opening day of deer season this year, reasoning somehow it would be a more practical vehicle than my 4X4 pick up. I just bungied my bolt action (in a soft case) to the top of my right pelican case in a front to back orientation. The gun and full camo should have concerned people on the roadway. But in my county, nobody gave me a second look.

Then I killed a big doe two hours later. None of my hunting buddies wanted to give my doe a ride home.

#9 ·
This sounds like some kind of crazy ass thing I would do: I love your thinking but it's the reasoning that is lacking. Both of us must have more than a few screws loose.

I have been thinking of mounting a shotgun to my Wee but haven't figured it out yet. This is pretty entertaining reading...:beatnik:

#11 ·
Thanks for the direction. Since I have about 6 hours of highway travel to get out to Prarie Dog land (Western Kansas) I will look at the hard case avenue.
Watching this to see if anything solid comes about cause I could use a way to transport rifles on the bike too :thumbup:

CPT - Private or public land? Long range prairie dog hunting is something I've wanted to get in to for awhile.

#8 ·
Have you thought about a rifle sheath that attaches to the saddle when horse back riding?
I used one to carry my crutches in after i broke my leg.
I mounted it on the none exhaust side.
Sorry no pictures.
And I am sure you would get no more stares than I did when I hobbled over to the wee on crutches, put them in the sheath, mounted the bike and road off with a cast on my leg.

#10 ·
I saw a bike in AZ with a rifle holster mounted along one of the front fork tubes. The butt of the rifle was just below the handlebars.

The bike was a 50's Panhead HD, sitting in the Phoenix airport covered parking, BTW. I looked around for horse turds, but didn't see any...

#12 ·
6 hour trip? 12 hour round trip for PD hunting..., sounds like ya better pop the pins and do a 2 piece break down at a minimum, it would really free things up.

#15 ·
Prarie Dog

For those interested, I use a match grade AR15 customized for Prarie dog and Coyote hunting normally at 75-250yards out. We do this on private property in and around Dodge, Kansas. Most any of the area's farmers will allow you to kill dogs on thier property once you have spoken with them. One farmer will lead to another. They just want the dogs dead. And, yes with my pins pulled I am still looking at 30" of upper to store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.