StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many folks here ride their Strom with their helmet visor partially or fully raised without goggles or glasses. Due to my aftermarket windshield and Madstad bracket, I have very little wind blowing in my face/eyes and enjoy it, but wonder if it is the safest practice. Bugs aren't hitting me in the face either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ride with the shield open most of the time, but I have full coverage script sunglasses/glasses on, but I have been whacked in the face from random items from odd angles even with my barn door shield, so some kinda of coverage can't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I often ride with the shield up. I do wear Rx glasses and have a V-Stream windshield. This summer while cruising at close to 90mph, with my shield down I took a bumble bee square in the center of the face shield. If I'd have had the shield up at that moment I'm reasonably sure I would have ended up having an accident. The amount of force from the bumble bee at that speed was impressive.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The plastic visor on the helmet does an excellent job of filtering out almost all the ultra-violet . . . but the visor needs to be fully closed.

On a long ride, I notice [at day's end] a degree of facial reddening, when I have been riding with the visor slightly open. Even at the smallest gap, which is a half-inch opening (and facing down to the ground) . . . there must be significant UV reflection from the bike and the ground, to produce bad effects.
(Not that there's anything wrong with skin damage & cataracts . . . when the alternative is hyperthermia!!)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I will ride with my faceshield up, or partially up, 99% of the time. If it is raining very hard, or is especially cold, I will lower the shield; reluctantly.

EDIT: I need to add that, I am wearing sunglasses, or my eyeglasses, (if it is raining), for immediate eye protection.

I have gotten stung three times, over the past four seasons; at least three times that I can remember! Fortunately, I am not allergic to the venom of a bee, or wasp sting. But, I had one sting, while riding on the Gaspé Peninsula that hurt so bad that, I had to pull over, stop, and get off of the bike. I don't know what stung me, but the pain from it, was very bad. It was 2009. I have a story about it, with photos, but have never posted it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nope.

I got hit by a wasp in Leakey, TX. Bounced off my Oakleys, right in front of my left eye, and zapped me in the nose and chin before I could get him out of my helmet. I wasn't religious with eye protection on my bike before that. Now I won't ride without either the shield down or a GOOD set of glasses on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Very rare I'll have my visor all the way down. Most times had it up 1cm. Summer I often use sunnies and keep shield open all the way.

I have had a bee go up my nose (luckily the impact killed it). I had another be land on my glasses then move and sting me. Plenty of random bugs

·
Registered
751 Posts
I always ride with my visor up,unless its really cold or raining.I always wear safety glasses as well (Tinted or not depending if its sunny).I have had lots of weird sunburns at the end of the day..:mrgreen:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I also ride with my visor up and sunglasses on quite often. And have been stung by a bee a couple of times.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
While cleaning the crud off my visor, I often think about how much better it is that stuff isn't in my eyes. My ophthalmologist says I'm about ten years away from needing cataract surgery but I already can already see some effects even though my vision is corrected to 20/20. UV light is bad stuff. Whenever the sun is out, I wear a dark UV resistant shield and my glasses have anti UV and anti reflective coatings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Two seasons ago I picked up a Nolan N-43 Trilogy. I really like this helmet and unless it's cold I keep the visor off and ALWAYS wear eye protection. I keep the visor in my top box and can change it out in less than a minute.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I don't wear glasses while I ride, so my faceshield (not visor) stays closed 99% of the time. The only time it's fully open is when stopped. The only time it's open while moving is to clear fog or get a little cooling, and then it's only cracked open.

I knows about them bugs - pulled a honeybee stinger out of a friends eyeball (yes eyeball) once.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I worked with a fellow who was blind in one eye. He said it was amazing how protective you become of the one that's left.

My windshield is about 2" below my line of sight. Still, the wind blast is above my face shield. It hits the top of my helmet. Even so, heavy bugs and things still hit my face shield, especially with gusty winds. My face shield is always down except at stops.

On the way to work yesterday morning I took a bird hit on the left side of my face shield/helmet. I don't think I would have liked that on a bare face. :yikes:

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Visors

I enjoy riding with the shield up as it seems to be quieter and less stuffy, but every time I do it I get pelted with something in the face. Doesn't matter if it's just the visor either. Every time my shield is up something finds it way to skin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
During the warm months I ride with my visor up sometimes, but I always have eye protection on.

The windshield can keep the wind out of my face, but not the small projectiles.
Last July, my glasses took a hit from a small rock that was kicked up. I was doing 70mph at the time. It cracked the glasses and gave me a small cut in the cheek and eyebrow.
I would definitely lost my eye and maybe more without them on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Usually shield up, glasses on. Been stung a few times, also had a few bees bounce off the face and land in the lap, yowza, not a big fan of that. Shield up is a more sensory experience, feels more like your in the environment rather than passing through it.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
99% of us have the helmet shield up and eat a bug or two and a few rocks when following a friend too close. Just one of the beauties of riding the Strom, I guess.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I ride with my visor up 90% of the time. I've only been stung once on my KLR with my openface helmet and goggles(in avatar), on my way back to work from lunch :.|

The weekend before last I was on my way home from San Diego at night and got caught in a heavy downpour. 50 miles in the freezing rain with a useless tinted visor. My tall Givi screen saved me from a long wait at a cold gas station.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I guess I'm the guy that likes to ride with the visor 90% closed all the time, unless in a parking lot, or very low speeds. I have gotten red skin on the face from riding with the visor open, but I think its a little more then UV, it might also be wind burn. I'm not worried too much about UV on the eyes, I wear contact that are UV resistant, and also "driver" sunglasses that are also UV resistant, but more worried about debris hitting me in my face. Sorry for the run on sentence...

There was one time I was up in N.E Philadelphia I was rolling around to my brothers house doing 35 MPH with the visor open and out of the blue a bee got caught in my helmet wedged between the helmet and my right cheek. Man I pulled over so damn quick, and popped off the helmet in what seemed to be an instant. Needless to say the bee flew out of my helmet 2 seconds later under his own power and off (in a rather stunned zig zag flying pattern) to live the rest of his life. I think I heard him mumble something about "damn motorcycles"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts