StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well, I had to ask this question with regards to all the Vstrom riders out there who
ride not only with the wife or girlfriend but sons or daughters ?

My son who now is 27 this year, was taught by me to ride a modified lawn tractor at the age of 4.
From there I let him progress to mini bikes, go karts, Then pocket bikes, And finally I purchased
him a well used Honda Rebel 450. Not a bad bike but in fixing it we soon found out what a not so good choice
it was. Parts were incredibly hard to find. Fast forward to 2016 and he was ready to purchase a big bike.
A used low mileage Vstar Stryker 1300. Very nice bike and only 8 K miles. Since then he has put about 4 K on it.
But now he is working as a long haul truck driver and his bike stays here at home while he's out driving around the USA.
Whenever he comes home, About once every 3 or 4 months he always ask if we can go for a long bike ride.
He full well knows the feeling of riding with family. And we both enjoy each others company , We'll stop at a biker
bar and shoot some pool... or hit porkies for some bar bq, He will be coming home soon and it will be the first time he's
seen the new Vstrom 650 I just got.
I got tired of him smoking me with my 18 year old Vstar 650 so I upped the anti a bit with the new bike.
He might still smoke me but I'll be in his rear view mirror not clean out of sight.
Riding with someone like your own son or daughter means you have become a mentor and you must find it in you
to make the bond a lesson learned as well.

If you ride with your Son , Daughter or the Wife, Girlfriend, etc . Tell us about your adventures... :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
My daughter has accompanied me, riding her own bike, on several trips to Europe and New Zealand, as well as many trips here in NA. Some of the best days I have ever spent with her. I learned a lot about her on these trips and I think she found out a bit of what makes me tick as well. Wouldn't trade those times for anything.

She didn't start riding until she was in her early 20's but caught on real quick and has a natural ability. She had no issues riding the Alps and Pyrenees or in cities like Madrid or Rome. She is married now but I am hoping that she and her husband will come with me to ride in Mongolia next year. She needs a little more practice with the off road riding but we are working on a plan for that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My daughter has accompanied me, riding her own bike, on several trips to Europe and New Zealand, as well as many trips here in NA. Some of the best days I have ever spent with her. I learned a lot about her on these trips and I think she found out a bit of what makes me tick as well. Wouldn't trade those times for anything.

She didn't start riding until she was in her early 20's but caught on real quick and has a natural ability. She had no issues riding the Alps and Pyrenees or in cities like Madrid or Rome. She is married now but I am hoping that she and her husband will come with me to ride in Mongolia next year. She needs a little more practice with the off road riding but we are working on a plan for that.
Amazing field you have ridden in. Like you said those memories you can't replace. And to do this with one of your own
in tow right alongside is a big time lesson learned by her. No wonder she did so well in the tough stuff you were her guiding
light...

Very well done ! :smile2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My wife has ridden since she was around 12. She didn’t ride much as an adult, but still has her MC endorsement. About 10 years ago I bought a 72 Triumph Bonneville to restore. Once I got that bike looking and running good, my wife called dibs and took over that bike. Her and I would ride on the weekends, me on a 1200 Sportster, and her on the Bonnie. I give her a lot of credit, we would do some 300 mile days, and as beautiful as that Bonneville was, it was a primitive, and rough ride. But my wife loved that bike and never complained.
I sold the Triumph a few years back, it just took too much work to keep it running. After every ride there was something loose, leaking or missing. I told her I’d buy her a newer Triumph, but she doesn’t want one. Looking back, it was that bike that she liked to ride. It drew a lot of attention everywhere we went, someone would stop and talk to us every ride we took.
Now I ride with my daughter and will be getting a newer bike soon.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I started ridding at 9 years of age because my dad rode & loved bikes.

I met my bride when she was 15 years old and until we had children we did not have a car, all transport and holidays were on bikes.

The son was 5 when he got his first bike and was road ridding from the very first day he legally could.

All our big holidays are still planed around motorcycles but the son works far too hard and it is hard to get time together, cherish the time you have now.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
My wife has ridden since she was around 12. She didn’t ride much as an adult, but still has her MC endorsement. About 10 years ago I bought a 72 Triumph Bonneville to restore. Once I got that bike looking and running good, my wife called dibs and took over that bike. Her and I would ride on the weekends, me on a 1200 Sportster, and her on the Bonnie. I give her a lot of credit, we would do some 300 mile days, and as beautiful as that Bonneville was, it was a primitive, and rough ride. But my wife loved that bike and never complained.
I sold the Triumph a few years back, it just took too much work to keep it running. After every ride there was something loose, leaking or missing. I told her I’d buy her a newer Triumph, but she doesn’t want one. Looking back, it was that bike that she liked to ride. It drew a lot of attention everywhere we went, someone would stop and talk to us every ride we took.
Now I ride with my daughter and will be getting a newer bike soon.
Here is the solution: Everything the Boneville was without the hassle of poor quality!!

https://www.triumph-motorcycles.ca/bikes/classics/bonneville/2018/bonneville-t120

Worth a shot to see if your wife would get back into riding.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I had a Motorcycle when we married 61 yrs. ago. Over the years we covered most of the western USA before kids. Son and daughter both started riding dirt bikes at a young age both went on road trips with me, wife no longer rides age caught up. Both kids live in Wa. state I ride up every year solo wife Flys. Son still rides we have taken trips to Canada Alaska and over most of the PNW. My oldest Grandson rides the three us went on a special ride for us to Glacier Park in Montana last year. Next year will be my last for a long ride age is catching up 83 as they say it's been a hell of a ride....

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Since my grandson could walk he has been ridding with me at the farm, sitting on the tank, he calls a wheel stand going upside down ? some days it's can we go upside down pop & others it's don't go upside down today pop.

My gripe is it was my brides job to supervise the young fella now it's become my job doing lap after lap with him pointing in the direction he wants to take at each junction in the trail.

He has a few bikes of his own but still prefers pop to do the steering while he controls the throttle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've only been riding a year and a half myself, so no grand adventures yet, but we bought the second bike in June and my Darling Bride got her license. Then dropped it on her fifth ride. Caught gravel spread over the pavement on a right turn. We both ride in full gear, and it was a fairly low speed crash, so not a mark on her body, but a partially separated right shoulder and some cosmetic damage to the ER-6N. I've described watching my wife crash the bike as the most frightening thing I've ever done in my life (and I rode a mountain bike off a cliff, twice). But watching the crash paled in comparison to watching her get back on the bike after the arm healed. Her confidence came back quickly, but I was terrified riding behind her for a month after she got back on. I was convinced that every insignificant obstacle was going to take her down again. She's riding like a pro though, my fears were completely unfounded. We're planning some short tours around Northern Ontario for next season, then, who knows?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I met my wife over 10 years ago I was impressed that she drove a stick shift. While dating she loved riding as a passenger and I was happy to share my hobby with her. We once went down when a farmer lost a load of straw in front of us, halfway to our destination on the other side of the state. We got some road rash, but other than that we were OK. Any sane woman would have said "leave me here and pick me up in your car," but she wanted to press on (One of the many moments I fell in love with her again). The next summer she got her endorsement and she now rides next to me, instead of behind me. I have a few vintage bikes and I restored a 1975 CB750 for her. See picture below, she worked with an airbrush artist designing a Japanese Cherry Blossom look. We did some touring 2-up on a Honda Valkyrie, but she wanted to ride on her own. I wasn't too keen on touring on 40 year old bikes, so we sold the Valkyrie and bought a couple of V-Stroms. We have really enjoyed them and have took a few long distance camping trips, including a 1400 mile trip around Lake Huron this summer. We look forward to doing the rest of the great lakes in summer to come.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I met my partner GotaV2 on the way to our 2012 Annual Gathering, since then we have travelled constantly together.

We now both ride the 2014 Vee

We enjoy our trips and expanded our fleet to include 2 DR650's so we could explore more.

My son had a DRZ400 and now rides a Victory 8 ball and comes on day rides occasionally & my daughter comes as a pillion occasionally as well.

I have had some people think it was weird that we travelled everywhere together :confused: not sure why think they like to get out on their own maybe.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
my wife rides with me all of the time now. until 3 years ago it was only on our annual 15-17 day camping vacations because she worked weekends & i didn't. since 08 we have about 100,000 miles together. now we ride every weekend we can here in denver, sometimes 50 miles, sometimes 3 or 4 hundred miles. she often thinks about getting her own bike but then she talks about all the scenery she would miss if she had to pay attention! sometimes i hear her back there just singing away, watching the world go by. i'm truly lucky. Jeff

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm a bit jealous of all who have a partner who will ride with them. My wife was on the back of my scoot for about 5 minutes. She was a walk-on on the ferry to Vancouver Island, and I rode on and we rode together to her parents place; a massive 5 minutes. And no interest at all in getting on again. I even offered helmets and jackets and other fashion accessories but no dice.

Oh well. I guess that means that unless I find other riding friends, I can go where I want, when I want. No debates about the route or destination or stops, but nothing new shared, either.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
The wife will ride occasionally and seems to enjoy it but she will not get in small airplanes much less our homebuilt I used to have. I was amazed she got into a helicopter a few times, and two planes and a helicopter in Alaska. She is strictly a white knuckled flyer. Even an airliner in a little turbulence is bad.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I ride with my wife on the back fairly frequently during the summer. Not usually long rides. She's excellent on the bike, but doesn't like excess speed or hard cornering. When playing with other riders, we do scrape the footpegs from time to time and she's not a fan of that. I've also ridden with my son who has a 650 Gladius. He has some odd riding ideosyncracies that make me crazy but I just leave it to him and try to ignore it. My patience is wearing really thin by day 2. Whereas my wife as pillion and I can go for many days, so long as we are not camping. Even at 65 years old, she's a really good sport about it. She prefers the motorhome. Not hard to understand that. So we sometimes take the motorhome with the scooters (TaoTao 50s) on the back. Or the Strom. I think the key is to cater to the other rider or passenger. Take a deep breath and let it go, whatever it is that bugs you.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My wife rides her own, a 2016 Can Am Spyder F3L. We enjoy it when we can because she works and I’m retired.

On the Beartooth Highway last July, 4 weeks after her knee replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
My girlfriend and I have been together for about 12 years now, and she's logged at least 80,000 miles riding pillion with me; first on the Road King, then the V-Strom, and now the Super Tenere. We've ridden all over the US together, from Interstate highways to working our way down Shafer Trail in Moab. She's an A+ passenger; if I couldn't hear her on my headset, I probably wouldn't know she was back there. I wish I could get her to learn to ride, so she could carry her own gear, but she's content with seeing the world from the pillion, and who am I to look down on a good thing? She'll spend an entire day in the saddle, in the hottest Utah weather or a downpour on the BRP, and at the end of the day you won't hear a single complaint.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My girlfriend / wife was my constant pillion from when we met in the early 80s until ~'94. We went everywhere by bike from commuting to annual holidays, all kinds of terrain and all kinds of weather. She had her own small bike for daily transport but we mainly used my big tourer for holidays. Then came kids, a car to carry them, and no bike for many years. Now I have the Glee and love it but wife is not so keen. She will join me for the odd day ride but isn't interested in touring any more. That said she is still an outstanding pillion passenger. Through any kind of manouvre you can imagine you wouldn't know she was there unless she is dozing when she tends to slump against my back.

When I got my Glee a year or so back my youngest daughter was dead keen to ride with me as pillion. Now my daughter's partner has a bike so she rides with him and we have been on a few rides with them. It is great to see the next generation continuing the family tradition. I am still trying to get my Mum on the bike - she and Dad had motorbikes and a sidecar up until the 3rd child made a car a better option - but she says at 85 she is getting too old.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great stories from everyone Thanks to all. I have some cool old photos of my Grand mother riding a 53 Cushman
in Pennsylvania, there even is one photo of her on an 81 Yamaha when she was in her 90's.
So I guess I inherited the riding bug from that side of the family. The last bike my wife rode with me on was
My 84 Honda FT 500. I dumped her off the back going about 20 mph when I goosed the throttle in the grass.
Did not hurt her. But since then won't ride on a bike. My bad.... Having a good copilot , riding partner is a terrific
way to spend time together and see some beautiful sights that mother nature invented . Probably the best are the late day
sunsets . I have ridden from my house in Central Florida the 60 miles or so to Satellite beach Really early in the morning
to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic ocean. That is epic. You know when you see it in person , There was a creator at work
for sure. Absolutely stunning....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts