Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 2 eyes

Votes: 39 97.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many riders have only one functional eye?

I ask becasue I am presently putting ointment in my left eye, for an inflamed eyelid, and the ointment blurs my vision hugley, rendering the left eye almost ineffective - hardly a good thing on 2 wheels

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
My ex is one eyed for all practical purposes, she learned to ride and got her MC endorsement, but mostly only did local back road 30mph put put rides, when she moved to FL, she decided there was too much traffic for her and sold her bike

fwiw, she is also deef, can't hear a damn thing without her hearing aids maxed out

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

I ask becasue I am presently putting ointment in my left eye, for an inflamed eyelid, and the ointment blurs my vision hugley, rendering the left eye almost ineffective - hardly a good thing on 2 wheels
What's affected most is depth perception, but peripheral vision isn't very good either. I'd give up riding without both eyes.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Actually, you have three eyes....one just happens to be brown, and you're usually sitting on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually, you have three eyes....one just happens to be brown, and you're usually sitting on it.
..and if it needs ointment, please don't post about it. :beatnik:

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Then again

I know a couple of riders that are effectively blind in one eye. They seem to do fine. Probably the biggest issue is field of vision, which as we all know on a motorcycle is critical. Even with two eyes, depth perception beyond 30 or 40 feet is less a matter of parallax and more a matter of experience. As with most limitations, over time you can learn to adapt. But if you were in a situation where you were temporarily one-eyed (discounting the brown variety) might be best to park the bike.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts

If you've only had one eye for a long time, you've learned to calculate depth differently, and it's no big deal; if, on the other hand, the change in your vision is recent, then you haven't adapted yet, and should stay off the road (bike or car doesn't make a difference) until you get your depth perception back (either through your eye getting better, or adapting to using only one).

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm an ophthalmologist. You can legally drive with one eye. People with one eye from childhood do quite well, they don't have any true depth perception but become quite adept at using secondary clues to gauge distance such as shadows and sizes. Adults that lose one eye tend to struggle with driving.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
All good advice. Since we are talking about being "1 eyed", it made me remember a good hint form a GS1200 rider that really stuck with me. When riding the Blueridge Pkwy last year I almost hit a guy on a bicycle in a tunnel. He had no flashing light and I was on top of him before I saw him. The sunlight had wiped out my night vision and once in the tunnel I could barely see.

My GS friend offered the following advice. It works great. When coming up on a dark tunnel shut one eye for the last hundred yards or so...the longer the better. Then once in the tunnel, open the eye back up and presto...you will have night vision in that eye and you can see again.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
One eyed shut works well for on coming night traffic too.

I am a precog so I don't need vision. You just have to put the diving rods in special holders I made on my grips

If you are not 100% leave it home

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm an ophthalmologist. You can legally drive with one eye. People with one eye from childhood do quite well, they don't have any true depth perception but become quite adept at using secondary clues to gauge distance such as shadows and sizes. Adults that lose one eye tend to struggle with driving.
My brother shot the gap between two tractor trailers that were passing on a hill at well over the three digit mark (I backed off at about 120) and he lost his vision in one eye from an East African disease when he was 6 or 8. He also worked as a flight instructor, has an acrobatic plane, and pilots a twin engine internationally for an employer. I'd say he can judge distances pretty well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I see 20/400 out of my left eye and 20/15 out of my right, but have no problem with depth perception. I even carry a CDL licence. (memorized the eye chart):thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A cataract in my right eye is starting to become bothersome. I hope I can get it fixed before the Idaho rally in mid July. My ophthalmologist is on vacation so I'll see him June 1st.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My brother shot the gap between two tractor trailers that were passing on a hill at well over the three digit mark (I backed off at about 120) and he lost his vision in one eye from an East African disease when he was 6 or 8. He also worked as a flight instructor, has an acrobatic plane, and pilots a twin engine internationally for an employer. I'd say he can judge distances pretty well.
I know a pilot who stopped flying because he can't. This seems to correleate with what eye.surgeon had to say.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have worn glasses since I was 3-1/2 (now in my later 50s). I was near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. As a result I have "lazy eye" where the brain doesn't know how to interpret the vision from my "bad" eye. However, I can use it for field of vision and can see motion out of that eye. While growing up, I was never very good at sports that required depth perception, such as baseball or tennis.

Today, even with glasses, I am legally blind in one eye, but growing up this way, I guess as eye.surgeon stated, I have compensated for it in other ways. I'm not looking forward to the day when I have other eye issues, such as cataracts.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Left eye 20/200 right 20/18.Been that way as long as I can remember.By the time I went to see an optometrist I was too old for glasses to help...:confused:
I cant get a licence for Dump trucks or semis,but car/light truck ,motorcycle is ok...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lazy eye

I have worn glasses since I was 3-1/2 (now in my later 50s). I was near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. As a result I have "lazy eye" where the brain doesn't know how to interpret the vision from my "bad" eye. However, I can use it for field of vision and can see motion out of that eye. While growing up, I was never very good at sports that required depth perception, such as baseball or tennis.

Today, even with glasses, I am legally blind in one eye, but growing up this way, I guess as eye.surgeon stated, I have compensated for it in other ways. I'm not looking forward to the day when I have other eye issues, such as cataracts.
actually - I also have a lazy left eye - it was not diagnosed until I was an adult - and I was lousy at sports with a small ball ) ok at soccer)

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Dad lost an eye when he was 12 but rode motorbikes for many years before moving onto cars.

I had a lens removed a couple of years ago and was aphakic for about 6 months until an artificial lens could be fitted. All I can say is that "I takes me hat off to me dad".

·
Registered
875 Posts
I see 20/400 out of my left eye and 20/15 out of my right, but have no problem with depth perception. I even carry a CDL licence. (memorized the eye chart):thumbup:
Technically you have no depth perception with 20/400 vision in one eye. If you look at the stereoscopic fly test you will not see it in 3 dimensions. You are using non-stereoscopic clues to gauge distance.

Goes to show it doesn't take 2 eyes to ride recklessly. Also I do medicals on pilots and flight instructors regularly and your brother doesn't qualify based on the vision you are describing.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Both my eyes work but I have no stereo vision at all.

The only thing it affects for me is judging passing distances, take more care there to compensate and you should be fine.

Pete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts