StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa! What an experience! We organized a small trip to a rock salt mine near Ankara, 4 VStroms plus a Beemer and a Honda MX. The mine was closed on a Sunday, but we made a few phone calls and had the mine opened for us.

Waiting at the entrance of the mine:

Our VStrom reflective vests look nice by the way.

Aftre the mine was opened, we rode our bikes into the mine! It was an amazing experience. There are lots of tunnells, galleries, connections, air vents going in all directions for almost 5 miles. It is like a labyrinth, and without a guide you would surely be lost. The tunnels are quite big, allowing big trucks to come and go. The air inside is very cool, damp, salty, and it is said to be good for lung problems.

This is one of the first tunnels, dating back to 1850's.

My wife, and an old carriage that was used more than 100 years ago.

A sculpture made of rock salt. Its name is 'Angel'.

VStroms in a rock salt mine!

See you!

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Good Lord! Is there any place a Strom won't go? What's next? A Strom voyage to the bottom of the sea? :mrgreen: Very interesting. Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow, what a ride that would be. Not sure anyone with any claustrophobia would be able to stomach it but otherwise it'd be an amazing trip. Thanx for the pics!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Awesome mate, thanks so much for posting, although I never got to Ankara, its certainly brings back memories of when I visited Turkey back in 2000.

A truly lovely country I had such a fantastic time visiting!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
That is so COOL!

I live in Detroit, and there are vast Salt Mines underneath the City. I'd love to ride around down there. What a great time you must have had!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
It's hard to believe that salt was once so valuable, it was used for "money." There's an inland salt sea somewhere (Middle East, IIRC) that has been drawn down to a fraction of it's original size to extract the salt.

You did give the bike a good rinsing and wash after that ride, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few drops of water from the ceiling fell on the bike. It quickly turned white due to the salt. The wheels were also white, even our jackets smelled salty. Sure the bikes were rinsed throughly after we got out.

We rode our bikes to the unilluminated new galleries at the depths of the mine, and stopped to get some nice big pieces of salt. We turned all lights off to feel the darkness, and held our breaths to hear the silence. It was scary, especially for the ladies. :)

Gathering salt pieces:

It was told us that putting big pieces of rock salt in the room you sleep makes you feel better.

Although the floor of the mine was flat all along, the first 100 meters were a bit downhill at the enterance. When we were getting out, the wet floor was a big problem for the 1200GT, but not for Wee's!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow!! Cool pics!! Loving the vstrom vests:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
555 Posts
That looks awesome!

·
Registered
167 Posts
A few drops of water from the ceiling fell on the bike. It quickly turned white due to the salt. The wheels were also white, even our jackets smelled salty. Sure the bikes were rinsed throughly after we got out.
HaHa! Great adventure and thanks for posting it! When I go to Speed Week at Bonneville everything gets covered with salt, too. It takes days to wash it all out of everything!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wow, that is very cool, and not exactly something you see every day. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts