Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted by BigThump for his Wife TheMagster:
A big Florida shout out to fellow riders in California.

I am in the process of planning our summer sabbatical which will include a visit to see our daughter and granddaughters in San Diego. While there I would like to visit Hollywood. We have never been there and since we will be so close, I thought it should be included in the plans.

I have absolutely no idea what I want to do while there, ride down Hollywood Boulevard, Wilshire Boulevard, maybe Rodeo Drive just for kicks, spend a small fortune on a meal, take a couple pics. I can check it off the RBL (ride bucket list).

I have heard that LA traffic is to be avoided at all costs. I am thinking if we avoid the freeways we can sort of sneak in the back way and it may not be so bad, but that is a small town girl way of thinking I know.

Not sure yet if it will be on way to San Diego from the North-East or if we will head to San Diego first, then just take a day trip up. I have looked at some of the 2ndary roads around LA, but Google street view of traffic present is often misleading.

So to those who live there, or near there - tell me I'm out of my mind, that there is no chance of avoiding a 3 hour commute trying to get someplace that I am totally unfamiliar with. That parking is impossible, crowds are too huge and surrounding neighborhoods are not safe to ride through for southern tourists. Or....that it is worth visiting, where to ride, where to park and the best places to visit.

I really appreciate our Rider community and the wealth of advise found here. In advance, Thank You for your inside information. Also if y'all ever make it to Florida...I can return the favor.

Happy Trails....

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
LA traffic is no more worser than any other large metropolitan area.
We have traffic sites that show the flow in mph with nice colors to alert you to the speeds and show where the accidents and work closures are.
Some of the thoroughfares in Hollywood are like riding through the Barrio though.
But, yah gotta see the Hollywood sign, right?
Some of the more affluent areas are streets lined with workman's trucks for on going upgrades and repairs. There are nice walls and hedges to block the views of the homes too. Wife and I weren't impressed too much wandering through there.
A day ride to big H from San Diego is possible, wife and I have friends down there and we've taken the car several times. Motorcycles can get around easier than cars.
Getting there once you are close is the bother. The 5 and 405 and 110 fwys get clogged as does the 210 through Pasadena during the day.
To get and idea google KABC7 Los Angeles and have a gander at the traffic icon. There are even traffic camera so you can see the madness.
KABC-TV Los Angeles News, Weather & Traffic | Southern California News | abc7.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Notacop! It does look like a busy place from looking at that link. We are still about 2 months out from leaving. Up to Michigan for a family reunion on my wife's side and then on to San Diego to meet up with my daughter and grand daughters. I am trying to steer us away from busy areas, but she has this idea that LA is full of famous people. You can take the girl out of the country, but ya can't take the country out of the girl as they say.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
We have a market near us that has the nice folks of San Marino, a wealthy enclave, have used as the local market. We've seen a few Hollywood personality there. It do happen.
Can't predict when you will see such folk though.
If you hang out in the area, faces do show themselves.
Motoring through can be enlightening.
Heck, they only be people and they have to get out and about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts