StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be riding in NW Arkansas from June 3rd though the 6th if anyone local wants to meet for a day ride. I'll start and end each day in Eureka Springs. I don't know how big the area is, but I plan to ride 200-300 miles a day maybe, but if you want to ride a portion, that's ok too. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got here Sunday and started riding the local roads on Monday. Rode yesterday as well and have about 540 miles over the two days. Today and Thursday, rain is forecasted and here, so taking a break today at least. Hope to get in two more good days

So far, I've ridden 23 (The Pig Trail), 21, 7, 16, US 62 and small parts of 123, 164 , 215 (Oark General Store), 74. These roads have been about 97% empty and the riding is quite awesome. I'd recommend it if you've never been here, but during the week only.

·
Registered
14,237 Posts
I've only done a few roads in the NW corner of Arkasas but was intrigued by the roads and the beauty of the area.
Worst part of being located on the coast of the country is that everywhere else is so dang far away! Wah!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only done a few roads in the NW corner of Arkasas but was intrigued by the roads and the beauty of the area.
Worst part of being located on the coast of the country is that everywhere else is so dang far away! Wah!
But at least you have all the great riding in CA. Norcal is like another state away, isn't it? Oddly enough, I put a ruler on a wall map at work and the distance to Eureka Springs, AR would have gotten me inside CA down near Vegas. On another note, I've seen a guy and his pillion on a 12+ Wee Adventure twice yesterday, but didn't see their plate. Luggage was off, so I assume they are local or are day-tripping like me.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today and Thursday, rain is forecasted and here, so taking a break today at least.
I lied! Actually, the weather mysteriously cleared out and became the sunniest day of the week. Starting out at 1:00 PM, I rode 300 miles and got back at dark. Back home now, but all told, logged 1,100 miles in the Ozarks and 1,600+ coming and going. Met lots of friendly people and several who "liked" the V-Strom:thumbup: Great place to ride; I think I'll go back given the chance.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Ozark Mountains are wonderful to ride in. I grew up riding southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas. My people are from Stone County Missouri (think I am pretty much still related to everyone there). One of the things that drew me to my little slice of heaven here in Kentucky is that it reminded me of where I grew up. I am glad you got to ride some of the Ozarks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wish I would have seen this thread earlier so I could have met up with you. Sounds like you hit all of the highlights!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish I would have seen this thread earlier so I could have met up with you. Sounds like you hit all of the highlights!
Most of them I think. Even got to the general store in Oark per recommendation from a MO rider on another forum. I forgot to mention that riding on the Pig Trail (23), there was a mobile state trooper station (trailer)parked alongside the road. I've never seen that type of thing anywhere else.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Ozark Mountains are wonderful to ride in. I grew up riding southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas. My people are from Stone County Missouri (think I am pretty much still related to everyone there). One of the things that drew me to my little slice of heaven here in Kentucky is that it reminded me of where I grew up. I am glad you got to ride some of the Ozarks.
Taney county here! Moved to Colorado in '96, but my mom has lived in the Branson area for 45 years and counting.

You say you're related to most of the people there, are you a Coffelt or a Tannehill? :biggrinjester:

Thanks for the report on the riding, some day the hubby and I want to get our Stroms down there and see for ourselves.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey John

b4 you go back, get BUTLER MAPS OZARKS MAP

there are many more worthy roads there

& the guys from BUTLER MAPS have done a fabulous job of finding & rating them for us

Ozarks Motorcycle Road Maps Trip Planning, Travel & Routes - Butler Maps

just sayin

sw
SW,

The Butler Ozarks map was hanging under the lunch counter at the Oark General Store. I glanced at it and it looked very detailed. Thanks for the tip on this. I know I hit many of the major roads, but a second week would have been better. Good reason to go back.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Taney county here! Moved to Colorado in '96, but my mom has lived in the Branson area for 45 years and counting.

You say you're related to most of the people there, are you a Coffelt or a Tannehill? :biggrinjester:

Thanks for the report on the riding, some day the hubby and I want to get our Stroms down there and see for ourselves.
My people are the Skinners, and the Deerings. There are still some Deerings around those parts but our womenfolk married into several different family's. I have cousins, second cousins and so on living in Stone county. My uncle Bill lives in Taney County and just retired from Silver Dollar City (I think about 4 or 5 years ago). My folks sold our land in Stone County to my uncle Henry right after I graduated from High School (we lived up in Springfield at the time). The Skinners went into Stone County about 1870 and then on to Kansas when the lakes went in. The Skinner homestead is under water now. My grandfather hung out at Uncle Ike's when he was a boy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Riding in the Ozarks - and the Ouachitas

Fellow V-riders.
There is fantastic riding between NW Arkansas and central Arkansas.
Hwy 7 is one of the favorite twisty roads in AR.
If you are looking for unpaved routes, the Ouachita Mountains here in north central AR have unlimited miles!
I live just north of Hot Springs and would be happy to meet up with riders passing through or looking for some new routes.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Ill be out that way in Sept.
Looking at riding through Arkansas on the way to New Orleans.
Ordered the Butler Maps to find a more off the Highway route to West Monroe Louisiana to visit Duck Commander in route to New Orleans.
Mike

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
We are supposed to stop for the night in Memphis Sept 11th.
Want a pic of the bikes with Graceland in the background if possible.
Mike

Im in Memphis, hollar if your riding through.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts