StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late March / April I am planning a 3-4 week ride from Seattle to/from the Southwest, where I hope to take in as many national parks and monuments, and great routes, as I can in a 3-4 week trip. Most of my trip will involve camping out, with some motel stays in inclement weather, etc.

In terms of personal information, I am a retired 64 year old married man with a broad range of interests. Most of my interests are outdoor-oriented -- cycling, bicycling, fishing, hunting, camping, golf, etc. I am left-leaning politically and tend to stay out of political discussions with those who lean the other direction. Although I'm not mechanically skilled, I can do very basic maintenance on motorcycles.

I have never taken a trip longer than 5 or 6 days outside of the Northwest and want this trip to the Southwest to be the beginning of a new interest. My route to the Southwest will be a beeline south to get away from any unpleasant Northwest weather, then the possible routes and destinations will be wide open.

Looking for compatible riding partner with his / her own bike and camping gear who might want to share the experience, either in full or in part. PM me if you're interested in discussing this and we can initially chat over the phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trip to SW Delayed; Still Looking for Riding Partner

Well, best laid plans . . . and all that. I'm still looking to take a ride from Seattle to the Southwest, but my departure has been delayed by whatever. Now looking to leave in early May, which should result in better riding conditions for escaping the Northwest's weather. It would be fun to share the ride with a compatible partner.

If anyone is interested, let me know and we can talk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, best laid plans . . . and all that. I'm still looking to take a ride from Seattle to the Southwest, but my departure has been delayed by whatever. Now looking to leave in early May, which should result in better riding conditions for escaping the Northwest's weather. It would be fun to share the ride with a compatible partner.

If anyone is interested, let me know and we can talk.
I have been possibly looking for a riding partner for a trip in early May. No real plans yet but most of my trip seem to gravitate towards the pacific, then south. Planning on hopefully being gone at least 3 weeks. I usually like to take my time and enjoy the trip and not iron butt it everywhere and usually drive close to speed limit or just over. I may have another guy that can go for a week or so but then will have to head back for work, leaving me to carry on. Pm me if interested

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I'm doing nearly the same trip, but only for 9 days in early April.

honestly tho-- IMHO it's far easier to travel alone, letting the winds, the weather, and your will dictate the timing and the route.

If you travel with an incompatible companion it could sour the whole 'long trip on a motorcycle' thing. Also, it's far easier to meet and interact with the locals if you travel alone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points made by Rashnak. I've been in discussion with Manywheels from Alberta about meeting up and traveling together. We agree that traveling together could mean taking different routes to the same destination, sharing some routes and some destinations, or . . . just saying "adios" and heading off on our own. Seems like a good guy with similar interests.

What I am committed to is a trip without a lot of structure. My life has tended toward structure and it's been a good life. But it's time -- my opportunities for adventure are dwindling -- to see what a more free-flowing arrangement (an oxymoron) is like.

I like human companionship, but superficial relationships never worked well for me. Don't want to get off on some philosophic riff, but the choice between traveling alone and traveling with someone whose company I value is an easy one FOR ME. Might not be the same choice someone else would make, but to each his own.

There will be more posted about this trip as May approaches. Hell, I could just decide to stay home -- play golf, go fishing, enjoy my lovely family, and grill a big porterhouse on the deck with a whiskey sour in hand. Who knows? Life is fickle.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Bob,

Unless you know someone real well who could go the whole trip harmoniously, you might be better to go solo, with the possible exception of maybe a day's length ride with a Stromtrooper or two along the way. They could suggest the route of the day (or more) through their area, but then both of you could go separate ways at the end of the day. That way, your ride is not too hindered. If you start the day with a rider you just don't click with, you could part ways before or after lunch even.

I have a riding buddy who is retired and owns three sport bikes. He's kind of structured still and likes to ride the local twisties three days a week for 2-4 hours, sometimes taking either a bicycle or kayak on the bike and combining activities. I will on occasion take a weekday off to go ride with him (he won't ride weekends as he does not have to) and we get along great. But he would never do even an overnight ride anywhere. So obviously we don't. He and his wife like fancy hotels; I can camp, etc., so we know what works and what does not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having one 9 day solo trip under my belt, it was a great experience. I really like the fact that I didn't have to worry about anything. Were to eat, stay, stop, sight see, ect. On the other hand, if it's someone compatible, it would be ok, especially in case of trouble and expense (motel, camp site). Also, with a good GPS, you could plan on the same destination at the end of the day it you have different route interest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's The Thing About Riding Solo...

I just got back from a 2 week solo trip to Yosemite, Carrizo Plain, Lake Isabella, Rt 395, and back over Monitor Pass (which was actually open but probably isn't any more). I love riding solo for all the reasons mentioned BUT there were a lot of places I was flat out too scared to go without a wingman. Riding in the wild west isn't for the faint of heart - especially in mid-March. When stuff goes wrong out back of beyond you can go DAYS without seeing anyone (and I had let my Spot lapse), and I'm not at all certain that I can McGyver my way out of every mess. I just bought an 05 DL (previous trip was on a DR650) and I am itching to head to Monument Valley, Moab, NM, and beyond, but I don't want to cheat myself out of the coolest places because I don't have backup. Of course, finding a compatible riding partner is key. Anyway, I'd like to hook up for a day or a week or ??? with people of like mind. I'm in my 60's, have been riding for 50 years, and also like to camp most of the time and motel it every now and then when a bed and a shower are too hard to resist. Forest and dirt roads ok, single track and creek beds, not so much.

It's finally raining in NoCal. When it stops, I'm pretty much ready to go - anytime after mid-April. PM if you want to possibly join up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts