StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the motorbike world and just purchased myself a new yellow wee as my first bike. I am going to be buying a Firstgear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket off of newenough. Before ordering I am also wondering if a person should buy the pants as well. I just wonder how necessary they are during the summer months. I can see the benefit of them for rain pants and of course wearing them during the cooler days. I don't want to buy them if I am not going to look cool while wearing them!:lol:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
There is also the benefit of not loosing copious amounts of flesh in the event that you crash. That's almost as good as keeping your legs dry in a rainstorm.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am new to the motorbike world and just purchased myself a new yellow wee as my first bike.
Fantastic!! You'll love it!

I am going to be buying a Firstgear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket off of newenough. Before ordering I am also wondering if a person should buy the pants as well.
Absolutely, and wear them every time you roll out of the driveway, regardless of the length of the trip or the weather conditions. You only own one layer of skin. Blue jeans- you may as well be wearing gym shorts if you go down wearing blue jeans. Sliding down pavement is like sliding down a cheese grater. Ballistic fabric and padding at knees and hips. Aerostich Darien are my pants, and jacket, too.

I just wonder how necessary they are during the summer months.
They are necessary every time you mount the bike, every month of the year, even the dog days of summer. Sliding down pavement, like asphalt, is bad enough. Imagine sliding down mid-summer asphalt and losing the clothing protecting your flesh. You can fry an egg on hot asphalt, that just adds to your injuries. And concrete is just pure evil to the flesh, summer or winter.

I can see the benefit of them for rain pants and of course wearing them during the cooler days. I don't want to buy them if I am not going to look cool while wearing them!:lol:
Looking cool... I know, just a joke. Tell you what, read this article and examine the pictures, then you decide what you want to do. I lost a bunch of flesh on the pavement once (length of right leg and right arm, and right torso), and I was only going about 15 mph. A month to recover. The pain and the infections were terrible, to say the least.
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/safety/extreme_roadrash_cause_effect_and_lesson_learned.html

Live to ride another day!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Plus 1 on buying - and wearing - good riding pants. I had a low-speed getoff and they saved my right leg and knee. My only souvenir was a bit of soreness and some added 'character' to the bike and pants. Without the pants, I'm pretty sure I would've at least been paying a few visits to the doctor, if not the hospital. ATGATT

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses thus far. In choosing pants, textile or mesh? I am leaning towards the Firstgear HT II textile overpants.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Textile. It's going to be somewhat warmer, but there is more fabric to separate you from that which desires to remove flesh from bone.

There is an argument that would suggest that mesh fabrics will permit an even more rapid dehydration from the body because of the additional air moving past your skin. If using mesh, regardless of the time of year, increase your water intake greatly to avoid dehydration. Cooling and dehydration are separated by a very fine line.

These are, of course, all my personal biases and opinions. But the skin is your single largest, and arguably most important organ, can't live without it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'll chime in here having just bought a pair of riding pants.

I didn't think I'd need them. I was too cheap to buy them. Jeans seemed fine to me.

Then people I knew and liked starting falling down (wrecking) and the photos of the damage were... unpleasant. I was fortunate enough to see a full speed wipe out (35+mph) by a guy on a beemer. He slid about 25-30 yds at a minimum. After coming to a stop he got up. And walked away. He had FULL gear on. It was all textile material with appropriately placed armor. He even had a piece of separate back armor. Other than being dirty... his armor looked fine. No rips. No tears.

What's better... his skin looked fine. He'd have bruises for sure... but no loss of flesh. No road rash.

Ok. I, like you, was worried about heat in the summer (I rode two years in Texas). I wanted a pair of pants that 'did it all'. They had to fit right (snug). they had to be waterproof (haven't tested this yet, but heard its true). They had to be warm in the cool weather, and cool in the warm weather.

I found the tourmaster venture air riding pants for 140.00 with 2-day shipping. They're mesh, armored, have a waterproof liner, a thermal liner, they're silver (come in black too), they fit snug, the construction is A-rate, they're comfy, they have reflective piping, easy on/off (about 10-seconds in a hurry). Some might not like having to zip in separate liners for waterproof/thermal protection... <shrug> ... I don't mind only takes a minute to get the liners in/out. I think I might have just found the magical '4-season' riding pants.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_air_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

Follow the sizing chart on the tourmaster website and you can't go wrong. I've got a 35ish inch waist and 32" inseam. The large fits perfect over a set of jeans with/without the liner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
HT overpants

I have both the mesh and regular HT overpants. depending on how cool you ride the mesh might be a better choice. with the liner in I wear them down to about 40 degrees. I take the liner out at about 70. The regular pants I wear down to below freezing with the liner in up to about 80 with it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
+1 on the tourmaster venture series. I don't have the mesh version... I have the solid material version. My trick when it comes to liners is that I put them in, but don't attach them. For the pants, I just zip the top part on. I helps because living in the southwest part of the country, you can wake up to 40 degrees, go to lunch at 60, and go home at 70+ degrees.

By the way, I was thinking that I was saving money... waiting to purchase. That was dumb of me because I did go down at about 25 mph with jeans. I ended up with a denim rash that to this day has a bluish tint in my skin. Trust me... it would have been worth it to prevent the pain that my leg went through.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
It is, of course, your choice, however I can assure you that a visit to the doctor following a crash while wearing jeans is both more expensive and painful than the momentary financial twinge you'll feel when you pay for a good set of riding pants! The above illustrations are outstanding and very succinctly point out the value of the protection provided by good riding pants. My wife will attest to that as she had a low speed get off that resulted in minor but fixable damage to her textile riding gear, but none to her skin. Oh yeah, her full face helmet saved her face from numerous visits to the plastic surgeon.

IMO, good protective riding gear is a sound investment in terms of your health and well being. Coolness has no place when compared with rider safety. The fact that you ride a motorcycle is cool. Those, for whom cool and image is the all-important consideration can usually be seen parked in front of a bar after a long ride of a few blocks! Forget that.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Got mine

I'll chime in here having just bought a pair of riding pants.

I didn't think I'd need them. I was too cheap to buy them. Jeans seemed fine to me.

Then people I knew and liked starting falling down (wrecking) and the photos of the damage were... unpleasant. I was fortunate enough to see a full speed wipe out (35+mph) by a guy on a beemer. He slid about 25-30 yds at a minimum. After coming to a stop he got up. And walked away. He had FULL gear on. It was all textile material with appropriately placed armor. He even had a piece of separate back armor. Other than being dirty... his armor looked fine. No rips. No tears.

What's better... his skin looked fine. He'd have bruises for sure... but no loss of flesh. No road rash.

Ok. I, like you, was worried about heat in the summer (I rode two years in Texas). I wanted a pair of pants that 'did it all'. They had to fit right (snug). they had to be waterproof (haven't tested this yet, but heard its true). They had to be warm in the cool weather, and cool in the warm weather.

I found the tourmaster venture air riding pants for 140.00 with 2-day shipping. They're mesh, armored, have a waterproof liner, a thermal liner, they're silver (come in black too), they fit snug, the construction is A-rate, they're comfy, they have reflective piping, easy on/off (about 10-seconds in a hurry). Some might not like having to zip in separate liners for waterproof/thermal protection... <shrug> ... I don't mind only takes a minute to get the liners in/out. I think I might have just found the magical '4-season' riding pants.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_air_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

Follow the sizing chart on the tourmaster website and you can't go wrong. I've got a 35ish inch waist and 32" inseam. The large fits perfect over a set of jeans with/without the liner.
+1, I got mine and love them. Good armor, good quality, and very good price.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I have the FG Kilimanjaro 4 and the over pants with liner -I find them great and there were one of few combos that come in tall sizes. Yes the KJ is a little warm at times but I solved that two ways - one , in warm weather, wear a T-shirt underneath instead of anything bulkier and two - prop the chest vents open. To do the later, since there is velcro full length of opening, I just take a short tab of velcro strip and run it from edge of vent to the vlecro underneath the chest pocket flap - basically two inches. Only need to do this on days where it's really hot - rest of time, just opening vents is fine. I like the KJ for it's 3/4 length as well - shorter jackets don't do it for my slender backside and bulbous extended range fuel personal tank in front.!

I can't stress enough the aspect of ATGATT - after a short while it just becomes second nature.

Safe Riding
Bob

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I've had a decent get off with mesh on and it protected me fine. No rips or tears and I still wear those pants today. I know a lot of people are a little uncomfortable with the mesh but I've never had a problem. YMMV of course.

Now where I would be a very smart buyer is with your gloves. I've had what I thought were good gloves come apart on me in a get off. I now examine my gloves VERY carefully before purchase.

Look for gloves that do NOT have stitching on the ends of the fingers. Those seams are prone to splitting. Good gloves wrap around the fingers and the seam is near the knuckle/joint. That seam is better on the TOP so that the bottom is smooth but its okay on the bottom. The palm of the hand should be one unbroken piece whenever possible. Any seams in the palm run the risk of splitting when you don't want them to. Every glove failure I've had from an off has been in the seams of the palm or top of the finger!

I cannot recommend a glove because they seem to change every year. Just take care in picking your next pair and they should last you a decade.

-GW

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the Tourmaster Air Intake Pants. I have them and love them. I also had to struggle with the coolness factor, but that goes away every time I think about sliding on the pavement. I commute on the bike daily and my ride takes me on the super slab for about 20 minutes and city streets the rest of the way. I could not imagine cruising along at 70 mph alongside a big rig without as much protection as possible. No one plans to have a "get off" when they leave on a ride. Being prepared is one of the things we can do to be prepared.

If you are new to riding, I would strongly suggest a beginner rider course. The information you gain, along with proper gear can really reduce the impact to your life in the event of a crash.

Ride Safe!
Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Getting a nice pair of overpants is a good decision, I think. I have these from Teknic:

http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=177

Which my local accessories dealer suggested and I've never regretted it. In the winter I can put them over jeans and heavy socks, in the summer I can pull them over shorts and just take them off when I get to my destination. They are waterproof and windproof, so they make great cold-and-foul weather gear. In the heat of summer it does get pretty hot, when you're trapped in traffic on blacktop, but hey, I'd rather sweat than go through skin grafts.

Then again, getting a pair of Firstgear pants would be good to go with your jacket, because then you can zip the bottom of the back of your jacket to the top-back of your pants waistband. Kinda nice to have on cold or rainy rides when you're on the road for a long time.

I am however thinking of getting these for summer riding:

http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=86

Although, since they aren't "overpants", I'm not entirely sure I'd want them, because then I'd have to wear them wherever I was heading to. While I think they look good for motorcycle gear, in general a lot of street gear looks pretty silly if you're out in a bar or in a movie theater.

·
Registered
230 Posts
street gear in the bar?

dantee662..."in general a lot of street gear looks pretty silly if you're out in a bar"......Hopefully you didn't get to the bar on your bike...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Back to my road rash story...

I remember the words of the nurse as she told me the doctor may need to scrub the rock and tar from my open wounds.

Scrub the rock and tar from my open wounds. Visualize that for a moment.

Again, I was going about 15mph.

Oh, I failed to mention the bike I came off of was human powered.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am new to the motorbike world and just purchased myself a new yellow wee as my first bike. I am going to be buying a Firstgear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket off of newenough. Before ordering I am also wondering if a person should buy the pants as well. I just wonder how necessary they are during the summer months. I can see the benefit of them for rain pants and of course wearing them during the cooler days. I don't want to buy them if I am not going to look cool while wearing them!:lol:
If you want to be cool get you some Teknic Supervent Mesh Pants. If you want to look cool get you a Street Bob or Fat Boy, tattoo, leather vest with no sleeves, so people can see your tattoo while riding, and of course a do-rag!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts