StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i'm finally getting my gear all nailed down. the only major piece i need is a good set of pants...currently i wear some double kneed carharts and then put some frogg toggs over them when it gets wet.

what i'm looking for is a good pair of pants that has a zip out liner to help with the temperature range i can wear them in, zippered vents would be nice as well for the same reason. want/need waterproof and obviously windproof when vents are closed. I recently bought a tour master transition series 3.0 jacket and have been loving it, and thought it would be nice to have a pair of riding pants that was equivalent for me.

any suggestions out there? also trying to keep my budget in mind....

thanks for the advice and input!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Personally I wear firstgear pants zipped with a matching firstgear 3/4 jacket in the winter, and BMW airflow plants zipped to matching jacket in the summer. Most gear makers have similar pant/jacket combinations, the advantage being they zip together and stay together if you crash.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Firstgear Kathmandu overpants

I used to wear Fieldsheer Mercury pants, and put 30,000 miles on them in every kind of weather. I've recently switched to the Firstgear Kathmandu overpants and absolutely love them. I consider them to be a 4-season pant, which is mandatory for my riding style ... I can experience all four seasons' worth of weather in a single trip ... sometimes in a single day!

They have a removable insulated liner for cold riding, big vents and a light color for when it's hot, D30 armor which is light and flexible, and even an inner gaitor that goes over your boots for adventure riding.

They aren't cheap, but they aren't overly expensive, either, especially considering the value you get for your dollar.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Get the zippered vents for sure. My Scorpions are great pants except for the lack of vents.

I also like Rev'it. One advantage of this brand is that they are frequently changing the models, so there are closeouts available at reduced prices. Note that Rev'it, Scorpion, and a few others use European sizing that fits slender bodies.

Try telephoning Revzilla and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Summer pants - Mesh?

I've been riding in jeans a LONG time. Keep looking for a pair of vented/mesh pants that will not drive me nuts in the 90 degree and 90% humidity we experience for so much of the year down here. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if some have comments they can direct to very warm and humid condition pants, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I'm looking to replace my Darien pants with a similar set up. I looked at some Tourmaster pants with a zip out lining. Protective Pads and water resistant shell for about $139. Seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
I used to wear Fieldsheer Mercury pants, and put 30,000 miles on them in every kind of weather. I've recently switched to the Firstgear Kathmandu overpants and absolutely love them. I consider them to be a 4-season pant, which is mandatory for my riding style ... I can experience all four seasons' worth of weather in a single trip ... sometimes in a single day!

They have a removable insulated liner for cold riding, big vents and a light color for when it's hot, D30 armor which is light and flexible, and even an inner gaitor that goes over your boots for adventure riding.

They aren't cheap, but they aren't overly expensive, either, especially considering the value you get for your dollar.
my current pants are FG HT's but they have about 200,000 miles on them, plan is to get a pair of Kathmandu's at Whitehorse Gear open house in a few weeks

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants and used them on a trip in March. They performed great in the cold weather and rain. Riding around in Phoenix was a little hot though. I'm looking at something more vented for summer riding. I don't know, but being up North, they may work great for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pair of Firstgear Kathmandu overpants and they work great. They do a great job in sizing. Other pants that I have tried that fit me in the waist were WAY too long. The knee armor would have done a good job of protecting my ankles. The First gear has "short" sizes and a 40 short actually put the armor on my knees.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Personally I wear firstgear pants zipped with a matching firstgear 3/4 jacket in the winter, and BMW airflow plants zipped to matching jacket in the summer. Most gear makers have similar pant/jacket combinations, the advantage being they zip together and stay together if you crash.

Hey Eye Surgeon,
I am going to replace my old FG HT's with perhaps those TPG Escape's. Are they a shiny nylon exterior ? Do they work well with your Kili ?
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
132 Posts
I visited the Revzilla showroom and tried on a ton of different pants. I ended up going with a pair of Revit pants. Waterproof, windproof, thermal zip out liner. Tons of mesh for ventilation and knee armor.

I can wear them over work clothes or when it's real hot just a pair of shorts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use Fieldsheer 4season overpants.
They don't make them anymore.
Lots of vents for warm weather, liner for cold weather.
Since I commute daily, I wear my work pants under them most of the time.
But they are not waterproof, so i have to wear rain gear when we get the storms rolling through

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have been looking for basically the same thing in pants. I am currently leaning toward these Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 pants

I have a pair of those. The liner makes them REALLY warm which is nice in the fall, but the zip off strip really doesn't flow much air. I find them too hot by mid May, beginning of June at the latest, and don't put them back on until late September. Without the liner they are in no way waterproof.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've been riding in jeans a LONG time. Keep looking for a pair of vented/mesh pants that will not drive me nuts in the 90 degree and 90% humidity we experience for so much of the year down here. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if some have comments they can direct to very warm and humid condition pants, I'd like to hear what you have to say.
I ride in similar climatic conditions to you.

I also have a pair of jeans (Draggin) that I wear in the cooler weather and some First Gear Hypertex pants that are terrific in hot and humid weather. I was a little wary of going for full-on mesh at first, thinking its crash protection may not be all that great, but these have a finer mesh -- still allows good ventilation -- and lots of hip and leg padding. A bonus is that they dry out really quickly after a rain shower.

They're a bit "bummy" though. Lovely and comfortable to ride in, but a little too much room around the back. For me, comfort and safety wins out over fashion style.

Firstgear Hypertex Mesh Jacket & Pants - webBikeWorld

1 - 17 of 17 Posts