StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a pair of riding pants that dont weight a ton, i was looking into these
Olympia Airglide 3 Pants, a little pricey but... anything out there as good for a better deal.

Chet

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK guys, looks like i will be going with the air glide 3 pant, thanks for the input

Chet

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Not mc specific, but I love my Carhartt double-front canvas work pants with added knee pads. The pads don't hold there position as I would like, but they damn sure come in handy around the house and garage. Plenty of crotch room when riding. Will try different pads in next pair.

Oh, I think they were around $45 IIRC.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not mc specific, but I love my Carhartt double-front canvas work pants with added knee pads. The pads don't hold there position as I would like, but they damn sure come in handy around the house and garage. Plenty of crotch room when riding. Will try different pads in next pair.

Oh, I think they were around $45 IIRC.

But if you slide down an asphalt road you are going to lose several square feet of skin because there is absolutely NO abrasion resistance there at all. ATGATT just isn't that tough. Sorry ill climb down off my soap box now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
try the police bike pants cool lite keeps you cool and try the under armor underwear they are comfortable and do not ride up and bind.But the police pants are the ones I would use.I will use blue jeans on this short trip might bring a pair my leather Jeans.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
But if you slide down an asphalt road you are going to lose several square feet of skin because there is absolutely NO abrasion resistance there at all. ATGATT just isn't that tough. Sorry ill climb down off my soap box now.
Not sure about that. Two reviews of these referred to deflecting chainsaws. These are heavy-weight duck fabric probably similar, I think, to Duluth's Firehose pants. Ultimately, it's an individual decision. For me, I strive for complete protection should I trip and fall in the parking lot walking to my bike. Anything thereafter is on me.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Jeans, heavy cotton overalls were fine up to about 80kph. The clothing tended to shred a bit at higher speeds, but I never lost significant skin.

I used to fall off a lot more than I do now - so I tested that personally ;)

Pete

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do those Carharts come with pads, or pouches for pads? That's interesting, I've never seen that setup before. Typically people will just wear dirtbike knee shin guards or Bohn Armor or something under those types of pants, if they want impact protection.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Do those Carharts come with pads, or pouches for pads? That's interesting, I've never seen that setup before. Typically people will just wear dirtbike knee shin guards or Bohn Armor or something under those types of pants, if they want impact protection.
They have an extra layer on the front with "sawdust holes" at the bottom. You can buy foam knee pads (~15usd) and roll them up and slide them through the holes. Mine shift to the inside of the leg too much to expect much crash protection. Next time I want to try some mc-specific pads or larger ones or get my tailor to tack them in place. Apparently, these are highly recommended by the stunting crowd. Again, great around the house and garage regardless of riding use. Roomy crotch is a BIG plus on the bike, too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just picked up AGV Telluride H20 pants. They are competitively priced at 135-150, have a duel zippered vent system on the front and have 2 separate liners - one waterproof and one quilted as well as removable pads in the knees and a small bit of memory foam around the hips and lower back area. These were the best 'bang for buck, do it all' pants I found.

Definitely size up with these guys! I had to exchange a L for XL. (6'2, roughly 34 waist, 32ish inseem, 180lbs) I tried them on and thought I was good, but when I actually got home and got my riding boots on and sat on the bike the legs of the pants were hiking up too much for me. They have adjustable velcro/elastic on the waist so sizing up wasn't a problem at all.

The only downfalls are the liners are a pain to get in and out so you need to plan for the weather if you can, don't expect to pull of the road and get them in under 10 seconds if you are caught in the rain or shed a layer in record time if you get too hot. They are also sensitive to crotch rips from running a bit small and tight to some so be careful and conscience that they are cheaper pants so some corners were cut (I don't think they are too tight on my build, but others have compared them to skinny jean status - I don' think they are that bad at all - I hate skinny jeans and would not wear these if they were skin tight). They also only have 2 small pockets on the front so you won't be storing much in them. I can deal with all that stuff :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Olympia makes top notch stuff. I have the AirGlide 4 mesh tech jacket and it is beyond superb. Good armor, great construction and 3 liners, all season wearable. I think the pants are exactly the same. I am about to order some myself.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wear Rhok jeans.. comfortable and made to protect you from the slide.
bonus is they look like regular jeans so when you are off the bike you blend in.

RHOK Carbon Fibre Helmets | Kevlar Jeans | Wheel Illumination

get them in the US here
http://stores.ebay.com/RHOK-USA
Hmm, interesting. Never heard of these before. Made in Australia?

How do they fit as far as the armor staying in place? I have Sliders jeans and while they fit ok, they are way too baggy in the legs to hold armor in place during a get-off, which is why I run some Fox knee/shin guards under them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts