StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the situation. My wife and I are on a trip around lake Huron on our v-strom 650s. Her's is a 13, mine is a 13. We are taking a break from camping and staying at a b&b.
Today as we started back to the b&b after dinner, her bike would not start. With the help of the restaurant owner we got it to start with a jump. The dash acted crazy, on and off, rpms jumping, ect, then it quit.
So we swapped the batteries between our bikes, her's stated fine, mine needed a jump to start. I kept the rpms high and limped back to the b&b. All the way the dash acting all crazy.
Luckily the b&b owner is a retired electrician. With a multimeter we found her bike to go up to 14+ volts when reving past 3k. So her bike is changing.
My bike is on a charger, but won't change past 70%.
So it's pretty obvious that the battery that was once in her bike, now mine is dead. The closest place that would sell a bike battery is about an hour away. We are trying to stick to a schedule and need to leave the b&b tomorrow morning.

So here's the big question.
Is it safe to ride the bike for an hour limping along on a close to dead battery?
Or should I just ride out first thing, get a battery and come back?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
A bad battery can wreak havoc on sensitive electronics of modern vehicles. I had countless problems on my Jeep Commander (no start, stalling, fuel pump cutting out, misfires, etc) I replaced the battery after it stalled & showed signs of a dead battery almost immediately after trying to re,-crank. Problems went away

·
Registered
294 Posts
Worst case, you can unplug the headlights and scavenge back the power to keep the bike on the road. No matter what, that battery needs replacement and it should be as soon as practical.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies.
Yes I know that a bad battery can cause all sorts of electical problems.
I will replace the battery asap.

I'll restate the question.
Can I damage the bike by running it on a dead battery for an hour (about 50miles/85km)?

I'm lean towards running out solo to get a battery first thing tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not running on a "good" 12V will cause problems. Think of it as a low voltage or "brown-out" condition. That same condition cost me an $800 air conditioner on my RV when 120V AC dropped to 96V in an RV park I was staying at.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree, take the early morning run for the new battery. A shorted battery could take out the stator and/or the regulator/rectifier and then you'd have two not-so-easy-to-fix-on-the-road problems. If it was a short run to the new battery maybe the odds change but running for an hour with a bad battery is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I made the run and got a battery. The round trip put us a little bit behind schedule, but all is good. We have been on the road for the last 5 hours trouble free.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Smart move.

Your battery is like a big sponge and it will absorb any electrical spikes when it is in good condition, it sounds like yours had dropped a cell and it would not be able to absorb any spikes this could lead to ECU damage or even a fire at the battery.

Jump starting because your battery is flat has a few risks but jumping with a stuffed battery is full of risks.

It is like ridding without a battery fitted and know body would do that.

Now you can relax and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This might be a good thread for someone to post the part number of the battery that fits the DL650. :)
Well... Luckily it was a Suzuki dealer, not sure the part number, but they sold me a Yuasa AGM. Good thing, I only go with name brand AGM batteries in my bikes. The one that failed was a generic auto parts store brand the previous owner put in.

BTW, day 2 and still going strong.

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
The OEM DL650 battery is a Yuasa YTX12-BS, but batteries are like tyres and can be replaced by many equivalents from other battery manufacturers. However, not all may be as reliable.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well... Luckily it was a Suzuki dealer, not sure the part number, but they sold me a Yuasa AGM. Good thing, I only go with name brand AGM batteries in my bikes. The one that failed was a generic auto parts store brand the previous owner put in.

BTW, day 2 and still going strong.

That's odd, 2 battery fails in 5 years. Something may be amiss. It's worth keeping an eye on the charging voltage by installing a volt meter connected to a switched power source.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
"However, not all may be as reliable."

So true. it wasn't until I bought a replacement battery for my 04 Wee that I realized the battery I was replacing was only a 6-7 year old Wall Mart battery.
Wonder if the generic battery from the auto parts store will live as long?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts