StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last friday down here in Nicaragua visiting the fiance, I decided to take a quick ride on my DR to sign some papers. Threw on some shorts and my Merrill sneakers. Long story short, I get cutoff by a ****in taxi while doin about 20mph. couldn't stop, couldn't go around him. went down hard. bike lands on my right leg and spins 270 degrees ejecting me at about 180 degrees. at some point I felt the right leg pop. helmet did its job and saved my noggin from the impact with the curb. result?

had i been wearing proper boots, which i own, i would've walked away. now, i'll be on my ass or two months and face a long painful recovery.

gear up folks!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Heal well.

I've got a similar photo from a month ago.

I get my cast off in 90 minutes.

I was wearing boots.

Take it easy.

Norm

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ouch!! That's a painful reminder!! Glad that at least you are still in one piece.

Hope you have a good recovery!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Holy crap. Have a speedy recovery. I can't imagine what the rest of your legs look like, if I read correctly, that you threw on shorts.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Best of luck on the recovery, and glad to hear your helmet did its job.

Before I had a motorcycle licence I was a first responder at a meeting between an RD350 and a Buick. There was a great deal of raw meat where the rider's tennis shoe used to be and I recall wondering why he hadn't been wearing boots.

In any event, get well soon, and save the hardware. They make good drywall screws.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That sucks, but the x-ray is cool.

Speedy recovery wishes to you!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Man that looks bad. Hope that you fully recover. Get well dude and get back out there.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I once had a ride with the Empire GP guy who fixes bike plastics

That was his comment 1st good boots and gloves.

He met many post accident riders

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Ow, I spent late summer and fall in a cast and boot, I just took delivery on an orange 2012 though, wishing you a full, speedy recovery!!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Do they plate everything now? no more casts? :confused:
Nope. I've got a plate and a cast.

I was hoping to get a boot, but they put me in another cast after looking at the x-rays.

Get better TeeVee.

Hey I got travel clearance for three weeks, I'm headed your way.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Nope. I've got a plate and a cast.

I was hoping to get a boot, but they put me in another cast after looking at the x-rays.

Get better TeeVee.

Hey I got travel clearance for three weeks, I'm headed your way.
WARNING! DO NOT GO NEAR THE WATER! (especially the salty water on the sandy beach) (most especially with a cast on!)

But here I am treating you like a child. Sowwy!

Best wishes, TeeVee. Hope you like reading or a lot of TV, or Mrs. TeeVee.

And to someone else's question about hardware/removal: The plates and most of the screws will eventually be removed in another surgery. Screws that attach ligaments and tendons will probably remain aboard.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
And to someone else's question about hardware/removal: The plates and most of the screws will eventually be removed in another surgery. Screws that attach ligaments and tendons will probably remain aboard.
In my case only the longest of the screws will be removed.
Most likely an outpatient procedure about 90 days after the surgery.

TeeVee, I'm feeling for you. I'm three weeks out of surgery and it's feeling tons better.

I'll be in North Broward later this month. If you're back in Miami, maybe we can hobble to Hollywood beach for a beer and to trade war stories.

Hang in there.

Norm

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks all. believe it or not the only road rash i got was left forearm and palm of right hand. i've tried to go over the mechanics of the event but can't quite figure out how it went down. in talking to my surgeon, he is convinced the fracture was torsional and that my foot twisted outward, or clockwise away from me.

the two long screws will be removed in about 6 weeks. their sole purpose is to stabilize what's left of my fibula to my tibia--the bigger bone. even with the double plate, the surgeon was not satisfied with how stable the bone was so he fused it. he also removed a bunch of smaller fragments. apparently the rest of the hardware--titanium no less--will remain to annoy the crap out of TSA and all the courthouse security folks.

because my leg was surgically opened on both sides, and there is a lot of swelling, they will not put a cast on. instead there is a hard plastic brace that runs under my foot and up the back of my calf, a crapload of surgical dressing all held in place by ace bandages.

i normally ride the DR with Gaerne S12's which are perhaps the BEST moto boot in the world. i've gone down with them tens of times off road and have never felt so much as a pinch. now, i will agree that they are overkill for street riding, but you can bet your ride i'm gonna buy Gaerne's GP-1 for street use.

·
Registered
371 Posts
heal quickly, heal strong, ride on... thank you for sharing your story!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Good luck getting through the metal detector at the airport with all those bolts in your leg. Maybe they can give you a letter to bring with you?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

Seeing stuff like this really keeps my head on the ground, because sometimes I will think to myself 'oh im only travelling around the block, i'll wear sneakers'. But having had a simlilar accident to you, except I was wearing my $300 motorcycle boots, I know the importance of wearing good gear. Without them I guarantee i would have broke my ankle.

Get well soon!

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
thanks all.

apparently the rest of the hardware--titanium no less--will remain to annoy the crap out of TSA and all the courthouse security folks.
I don't believe the detection equipment at security checkpoints registers titanium, or high-silver alloys (which I have as well as titanium). I've never had to remove my head or either of my arms.

Whether that particular metal is tuned-out or maybe simply identified, or localized so operators can tell, you don't get any crap for carrying it. That may be part of the reason titanium is chosen for the purpose, the other part being that it's apparently non-reactive to human tissue. Maybe the equipment was designed to filter it out.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't believe the detection equipment at security checkpoints registers titanium, or high-silver alloys (which I have as well as titanium). I've never had to remove my head or either of my arms.

Whether that particular metal is tuned-out or maybe simply identified, or localized so operators can tell, you don't get any crap for carrying it. That may be part of the reason titanium is chosen for the purpose, the other part being that it's apparently non-reactive to human tissue. Maybe the equipment was designed to filter it out.
Good to know Dancer. This kind of makes me cringe when I think of what I wore back in the 70's and 80's. Luckily I only had a couple of very low speed drops and a couple of close calls on the highway over many years of biking.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts