StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding in mountainous areas late in the day, especially on roads with lots of twisties, I have found riding in and out of the shadowds to be a little nerve wracking. This is especially true when you enter a tight turn in bright sunlight and exit in the shadows.

Other than slowing down, do any of you you have any tips on how to handle these situations? Would a particular type of sunglasses help?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If there are any shadows around then I am always wearing my clear safety glasses.

If you are entering a tunnel, I have learned a cool trick. Close one eye as you approach the tunnel, open it as you enter and you will have pretty good night vision in that eye.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Polarized glasses in amber give the best definition etc.

The polarization cuts the reflected light from the "sunny" pavement making your eyes exposure setting better for the shadows.*

Amber is the center of the spectrum so it is the natural true focus with minimal spherical aberration.

Little trippy with some face shields

* also good for looking in water and through car windows

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It's even more of a problem out here where there is less water vapor in the air to scatter the light; contrast between sun and shadow is very, very intense.

Yeah, all you can do is slow down...and before you enter the shady area try to look as far ahead as possible to anticipate your course during the blackout. All of my helmets have a Super-Visor (Super-Visor Motorcycle Helmet Visor Sun Shade Safety Visor for Motorcycle Helmets, supervisor) which acts like the bill of a baseball cap. It helps to shade the eyes going in so adjustment to the shady area is faster.

I HATE sun in my eyes while riding.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
cd, how old are you? I noticed at around age 60 my eyes began adjusting to the change of light levels more slowly.

I haven't found a helmet with a retractable internal sun visor that I like, but flipping that up or down might work, if you can take a hand off the bar. The one eye trick might work, give it a try.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I have a HJC symax2 helmet with the retractable visor.
That gadget doesn't help in the intended way, but comes in really handy; this is what I do:

- tape some electrical tape at the bottom of the clear visor
- flip it up to cast a shadow on my eyes
- use the retractable visor as eye protection

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
shadows

Hwy 35 (skyline) in S.F. Bay Area Penninsula is a good example. I rode it once with polarizing shades - that was the last time that I wore shades of any sort while riding my MC in potentially variable lighting conditions

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cd, how old are you? I noticed at around age 60 my eyes began adjusting to the change of light levels more slowly.

I haven't found a helmet with a retractable internal sun visor that I like, but flipping that up or down might work, if you can take a hand off the bar. The one eye trick might work, give it a try.
I'm 55 and I have no doubt that my vision isn"t as good as it used to be. I'm wondering if a helment with a rtractable amber sun visor would help?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shadows

Hi

I have a pretty significant amount of eye misalignment (gotten worse as I've started aging and being on a computer all day doesn't help). So I have to have a LOT of "prism" built into my glasses. That helps but I still have issues - like the tunnels on the interstate between Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC - the darkness compared to the outside light and then all those lights on the sides of the tunnel walls - gives me a strobing effect. I have to close one eye and slow down (which can get you ran over in that stretch of road)

Good luck - I know its frustrating.

J

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Does noone else do the tape on the bottom of the flipped-up visor thing?
It's really the only thing that works.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Does noone else do the tape on the bottom of the flipped-up visor thing?
It's really the only thing that works.
I've used the flipped-up chin guard on a modular helmet when riding into the low sun.

However, there are so many places around here, especially on the more entertaining roads, where you are constantly riding in an out of shade that it's ridiculous to attempt to adjust your visor or glasses at each transition.

I've tried all manner of eyewear and head-cocking in attempts to deal with this to no avail. The only post here to provide a practical, albeit partial, solution would have to be RichW's.

I have fallen victim to this problem when, on an unseasonably warm December afternoon: I hit a small patch of ice in a shady corner just after a brilliant straight. I was lucky, as my injuries and bike's damamge were minor.

At this point, I'm convinced that if sudden lighitng contrast is a problem for you, the only real solution is to slow down. The pupil just does not respond quickly enough for safe spirited riding through dappled sunlight.

Perhaps there will be an optical solution in the near future, ie, rapid response Transition lenses.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
More VooDoo

Take 4 fish oil capsules a day for 6 weeks. Then you can reduce to 2 per day. Your visual acuity will improve. It is also good for heart and joints.

:( FYI One of the symptoms of on set of Diabetes 2 is that excess sugar swells the eyeball and changes your vision focus. If you have a glasses perscription and it changes or vision is no longer sharp . Have a fasting blood sugar test.

What a drag it is getting old.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
It is also good for heart and joints.
You see, I thought joints were good for your vision.

I had it all switched around.

No wonder I had such a blurry youth.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
All of my helmets have a Super-Visor (Super-Visor Motorcycle Helmet Visor Sun Shade Safety Visor for Motorcycle Helmets, supervisor) which acts like the bill of a baseball cap. It helps to shade the eyes going in so adjustment to the shady area is faster.
Thanks for pointing out what a visor actually is.

A visor is not something you look through.
It irritates me when people refer to their faceshields or those new retractable internal tinted shields as visors... also that tinted glasses are refered to as shades. Shade is where no direct sunlight penetrates.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
It irritates me when people refer to their faceshields or those new retractable internal tinted shields as visors...
Why does it irritate you? That is what a visor is.
When people believe something differently than you, they might be wrong or you might be. I wouldn't get irritated about this before I found out which of the two it was.

Visor \Vis"or\, n. [OE. visere, F. visi[`e]re, fr. OF. vis. See {Visage}, {Vision}.] [Written also {visar}, {visard}, {vizard}, and {vizor}.] 1. A part of a helmet, arranged so as to lift or open, and so show the face. The openings for seeing and breathing are generally in it. [1913 Webster]

visor n 1: a piece of armor plate (with eye slits) fixed or hinged to a medieval helmet to protect the face [syn: {visor}, {vizor}] 2: a brim that projects to the front to shade the eyes; "he pulled down the bill of his cap and trudged ahead" [syn: {bill}, {peak}, {eyeshade}, {visor}, {vizor}]

According to wikipedia you might also be right, but we should all learn to not trust wikipedia:
Visor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incidentally, the super-visor goes above the visor (as the name implies).

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
According to wikipedia you might also be right, but we should all learn to not trust wikipedia:
Visor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incidentally, the super-visor goes above the visor (as the name implies).
That's right folks, from here on out it's Duckipedia.

Proven in multiple large-scale, long-term, double-blind studies to be nearly as reliably accurate to the motorcycling community as furtive rumors based on the reading of sacrificed goat entrails.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a scorpion exo900 modular helmet. the fit was great for me, and the sunshade option i find fantastic. it is easy to flip up down even with gloved hands.
it has been tested extensively going along long hilly country gravel concessions with the sun on the horizon, when going in dips the trees shade the road, and when coming up thru fields the sun can blind. some friends i ride with may at times be doing quite a bit more than the unposted but understood limits, of course i am always law abiding while safely ratcheting my visor up and down every 15 seconds or so.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I think that some of us might be thinking of different "in and out of shade"

I ride with dark smoke shield almost all the time except night, the only issue I ever have with shade/sunlight is a bright sunny day in fall, no leaves on trees, trees casting long skinny shadows across the road and it makes for a strobe light effect, I have a fear that it might induce an epileptic seizure

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts