Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Layered

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Motoport Kevlar mesh, when its cold put on the liners, real cold, heated vest and heated grips !!!
Went through the aerostitch peel the burnt nylon off the skin.... no way in hell I will use that again.
Leathers, unless they are $3,000 professional type custom fit... forget about it. And never ride leathers in the rain.....never ever never!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use an Olympia three layer jacket year round. In summer, it’s just the mesh outer shell. In spring and fall, I wear the outer mesh jacket, rain and quilted liner. In winter I wear an electric liner in lieu of the quilted liner. This combo works from 20 to over 100 degrees without adding a lot of bulk.

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
I ride all year round here in Ontario, Canada. I typically ride about 30,000 miles/ 50,000 km each year. My range of temperatures I ride in is typically from 100°f / 38°c down to 0°f/ -18°c (outliers are .126°f/ 52°c in Death Valley down to a bit below -5°f / -20°c.) Normally the only time I don't ride is if there is ice or snow (or risk of) on the roads. I commute to work daily and wear a suit and tie to work most of the time (with C19 we have been much more casual though.) I wear my Roadcrafter R3 all year round and the Roadcrafter is a big part of why I can so easily ride so much.

Down below 50°f to around freezing I will wear whatever street pants I want on when I get off the bike, a long sleeve shirt, a "Warm n Safe" heated jacket with a soft shell over it. "Warm N Safe" heated gloves keep the hands warm. As I have gotten older my feet have gotten colder so I will add an extra layer of sock over my normal Tilley Travel dress socks (that I wear all year round) and closer to freezing add "Warm n Safe" heated socks.
Below freezing I add Aerostich Fleece Pants over my street pants.

The above will take me down to 0°f / -18°c. I have ridden colder but that is pushing it for me with the equipment above. The previous works for for my hour long commute, for all day rides I will usually add a t-shirt under my long sleeve shirt.

Years ago (before hated jacket) I tried using "Base Layers" I found that to be a major pain in the butt as I overheated when stopping for coffee and got all sweaty. That made me colder later. (It didn't matter synthetic or Merino wool or whatever.

In warmer weather, say from 60°f/ 15°c I will have convertible (to pants) shorts on with my shirt I am going to wear at work. My Work pants (and work jacket if applicable) are in my top case. If I am wearing a short sleeve shirt I will put a long sleeve shirt over the short sleeve shirt up to about 68°f / 20°c above that short sleeve shirt/t-shirt-golf shirt work fine and I start opening up vents.

I will add a cooling jacket for day trips somewhere up in the high 80's f / 30's c

Yes the Roadcrafter can be hot when you stop. It take less than 20 seconds to get off so that is not much of an issue. When leaving work I have anything from 5 to 30 minutes of stop and go traffic and I haven't found it much of a bother. When riding, especially at highway speeds, it ventilates quite well and I found overall I was much more comfortable that the mesh I used to have. When using the cooling vest at highway speeds I have to close off some of the vents so as not to get too cold.

..Tom

·
Registered
231 Posts
I LOVE heated gear. No bulk just flip a switch. I can ride to 20 F very comfortable at speed. I did have my jacket "slow down" in the heating sent it back and fixed with in a week. Back on road. Now staying cool? That's another issue.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts