Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Layered

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I used my cooling vest for the first time a few days ago. Was very impressed, kept me cool and a bit clammy for four hours.
I bought one last year. Works Great!!! 🆒

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm the guy that rides just a leeeeetle bit further with rain approaching and then puts on rain gear over soaked-through clothing in a downpour. So I wanted to find do-it-all gear that wouldn't require more than a momentary stop to batten down for rain..The Jacket is an Olympia Richmond, a rather technical piece that has an outer layer, non-removeable waterproof layer and mesh ventilated zippered slits: two chest, two large upper arm, and two mid back. All the vents open through the waterproof membrane directly to my skin or base layer and flow a lot of air. It even has a little under helmet hoodie to keep rain from entering the back of your neck.The ripstick cuffs are adjustable enough to wear gloves under (shorty mesh summer) or over (rain, winter) them.
My pants are Scorpion EXO Yukon. They are also vented and zippered: two side-thigh and two outer buttocks. These also vent through to the body via mesh panels, waterproofing is via polyurethane coating, Together with my Sit-N-Fly seat cover, there is reasonably good ventilation; as good as it gets for armored, waterproof pants, I guess.
both garments have removable armor, the pants armor is also adjustable and comfortable when seated, they do settle lower when riding standing up, but I think suspenders would help; they have pull tabs but no belt loops.
I had a chance to ride in light-moderate rain, temps ~86ºF/~30ºC earlier in the week and I stayed completely dry, with my Rukka Virium GorTex gauntlet gloves outside the jacket cuffs. All the vents seal with generous ripstick flaps. After the rain, the jacket was a little clammy feeling for around an hour where the venting doesn't get to the membrane layer, but my t-shirt remained dry. I didn't realize how well the pants vent until I rode with them zipped!
My Alpinesars Compeche boots are warm on cool days and hot on warm days, the Drystar waterproofing is the real deal.
I'm keeping my two-piece rain suit for the time being, but I am well satisfied with this gear:

The Olympia Durham jacket replaces the Richmond; same features, upgraded.
Scorpion Yukon pants discontinued? may still be available
Rukka Virium GoreTex gloves Beautiful. Comfortable for hours. Spendy.
Alpinesars Compeche Drystar boots Fit well, ok for short walks, steel shank

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
for your amusement

Reactions: NVDucati and Hogges

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I am sure the $1500 suits are a very well engineered compromise for a wide range of climates but there is no way they are not hot in the dead of summer and at the same time warm enough when the temps drop well below 40.
Most of the super long distance guys wear one piece suits. A lot professional Moto journalists too.

Think of them as an outer shell. Waterproof, protective and breathable. They aren't a compromise as much as a wide climate range solution.

As far as them being hot they control airflow better than mesh. Once the ambient air approaches body temp mesh type gear actually makes you hotter. It's better to block the hot air and vent it so it circulates inside the jacket. Combined with a cooling vest you can control your micro climate!

Iron Butt Hot Weather (.pdf)

Reactions: dravnx

·
Registered
504 Posts
Most of the super long distance guys wear one piece suits. A lot professional Moro journalists too.

Think of them as an outer shell. Waterproof, protective and breathable. They aren't a compromise as much as a wide climate range solution.

As far as them being hot they control airflow better than mesh. Once the ambient air approaches body temp mesh type gear actually makes you hotter. It's better to block the hot air and vent it so it circulates inside the jacket. Combined with a cooling vest you can control your micro climate!

Iron Butt Hot Weather (.pdf)
Never tried a cooling vest because I heard they suck in the East Coast humidity. True?

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Well it was high 80s and humid for my 6 day trip and soaking my riding shirt worked fine so I would imagine the vest would as well.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
You really can't compare Joe Rocket stuff to Klim/Aerostich/Motoport/Rukka for crash protection. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt but there is much better protection out there.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
There is also a lot of overpriced gear out there of marginal benefit. Joe Rocket has served me well and I just added some of the D30 armor to keep it going a while longer.
Over 15 years on my mesh jacket and the only failure has been the sleeve velcro.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I bought one last year. Works Great!!! 🆒
Came home today from Cottage country to Toronto. My thermometer hit 37c.(98.6f) and Sunny....and Humid. Was I ever grateful to have this Cool vest. I had on BMW boots, gloves, Klim Gore Tex jeans, BMW airflow jacket (Pretty heavy) and to top it off a Hellite Turtle airbag vest. The ride was 4 hours with the last 1.5 hours in urban traffic. Gross. I am currently half way through watching a youtube video on a guy making a cooling suit using a mini compressor

Reactions: Spec and V-Tom

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
There is also a lot of overpriced gear out there of marginal benefit. Joe Rocket has served me well and I just added some of the D30 armor to keep it going a while longer.
Over 15 years on my mesh jacket and the only failure has been the sleeve velcro.
I was talking about crash protection. If you hold a JR next to any of the ones I mentioned, there is a discernible difference in the quality of the JR to Klim/Aerostich/Motoport/Rukka . Double stitched seams, thick Cordura and Kevlar panels in all the right places, ceramic slide zones. Let's not forget the internally bonded Goretex with a lifetime guarantee. Yes, they are expensive but you really can't compare them to JR gear. It's whole 'nother league.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My understanding is if you wear leather you will slide, a good thing, if you wear textiles you will roll, not such a good thing.

Even knowing that I prefer textiles.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My understanding is if you wear leather you will slide, a good thing, if you wear textiles you will roll, not such a good thing.

Even knowing that I prefer textiles.
If you wear leathers and slide you will get friction burns, and possibly leather or other clothing stuck to your skin.. never peel the leathers off a rider who has just had a slide down the road, if he is burnt the nerve endings on his skin wont feel you peeling flesh off until it is too late.
Slowly unzip the suit and check carefully, pour cool clean water down inside the leathers as you go.. or wait for the ambos to arrive to do it (my first aid training, including a motorcycle specific course, taught me something useful I guess).
Racers wear special racing "underwear" underneath their leathers, a worthwhile investment for road riders who choose to wear leathers in my view.

And if you have learned to roll in a fall, then rolling is actually a good thing.. it is my preferred way when I come off.. gymnastics at a youth club taught me to roll, not that I was much good at most of the gymnastic drills - but stuffing up and having to roll out was one of my "skills"..🤣

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
It's the uncontrolled roll you don't want, limbs flying everywhere cause a lot of damage.

There the ones that happen after the slide and your gear causes the tumble.

In all my get offs the sliding ones have caused me a lot less damage and pain than the rolling ones with the broken bones.

I will take the slide.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt
Thanks for that; so am I. :)

You really can't compare Joe Rocket stuff to Klim/Aerostich/Motoport/Rukka for crash protection.
That wasn't my point at all. My points were:

1- in response to the OP's statement that wearing puffy / bulky thermal layers OVER his gear, knowing they'd be trashed in an accident, I was pointing out that there's a possibility they'd have been trashed even if worn underneath the gear. Having never owned the more expensive brands you named, let alone crash-testing them, I'm in no position to opine as to whether they'd have fared substantially differently or protected me any better than my entry-level price point JR jacket.

2 - In my get-off, the GEAR (humble as it may have been) did what it was supposed to do, and the fact that it was trash afterward was immaterial.

It's analogous to the crumple zones designed into modern automobiles: THEY take the abuse and absorb the energy of a crash so the vehicle occupants don't. Gear and vehicles are much more easily replaced than people are.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I always had and have a bunch of Joe Rocket gear and find it to be excellent gear and excellent value for me. Maybe if I bought some more expensive stuff I would like that, too, but why? I have confidence in what I have and it fits and it lasts well.

Reactions: Macdoc

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tour with a jacket that has a waterproof exterior that zips off and exposes a mesh jacket. Unfortunately they don't make it any more, though do make the Tour Master Flex, etc. I have pants that do the same thing. Works from 40 to 100°.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Klim Badlands top and bottom. Waterproof, windproof, lots of vents to open, abrasion resistant, armor in all the right places. A heated jacket and a cooling vest and I'm good to go from 35F to 100+F. No stopping to put on or take off gear. I dress for the weather and the crash.
Lots of great deals on used gear in the Advrider Flea market.
This is my set up too. I used to have an Olympia jacket with one insulated liner and another water repellent layer. It was a pain to have to dismount to layer up, plus the outer layer would get soaked and the water repellent layer was ok for a shower but not a downpour. Klim is the closest I have found to honest water proof though there are others like the Aerostich Roadcrafter. I have just not tried them. I had a Badlands that began to weep and get damp inside from heavy rain after about 3 years. Klim replaced it with a new jacket for free and it was even a newer model. Eventually I got a Carlsbad jacket because it is lighter and not as stiff as the Badlands. No need to carry extra rain gear other than gloves. It has enough vents to make all but the hottest days bearable and as mentioned in another post in this thread, if it is scorching hot I don't want to wear mesh and dehydrate even faster. A heated jacket liner underneath (I use Gerbing) is not bulky, keeps me warm down below freezing with just a base layer underneath, and it doubles as a light jacket for around town so there is one less thing to pack.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts