• Layered

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been commuting for a couple of years with the same - season specific gear.
Now that I have a new bike and plan to travel, I though I might want to rethink my gear strategy.
There loads of ADV 3 & 4 season riding sets - waterproof, insulated, vented ironman suits, but they seem cumbersome and pricey.
I recently bought the Scorpion EXO Yukon Jacket as it was 50% off. I find the construction beyond expectations, but its very heavy and stiff.
I can't see wearing it most of the year.

I've been wondering if I would be more comfortable with a layered strategy.
Full mesh summer jacket with upgraded pads, then add on top a (sacrificial) insulated jacket, with rain jacket on top.
{REV'IT! Eclipse Jacket + REI Co-op 650 Down Jacket 2.0 + REV'IT! Cyclone 2 H2O Rain Jacket}

I say sacrificial because having the puff and rain jacket on the outside would ruin them after a crash, but I think that would reduce the bulk and keep the armored jacket streamlined.
I would use a similar strategy for the pants.

I know Lindin Posket used a similar strategy with Adventure Spec when he rode Malle Moto at the Dakar.

Any thought / recommendations / experiences?

Scorpion EXO Yukon Jacket (for those interested)

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I don't know about buying a jacket that is so huge that you can fit a down jacket under it.
For layering I have a couple of different Joe Rocket jackets that if needed when all the liners are zipped in that I can still fit some under Armour 4.0 stuff under.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about buying a jacket that is so huge that you can fit a down jacket under it.
For layering I have a couple of different Joe Rocket jackets that if needed when all the liners are zipped in that I can still fit some under Armour 4.0 stuff under.

To clarify, the down jacket would go over the mesh armored jacket. Then rain jacket on top.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
This comes to mind ;) I'd suggest getting better thin base layers and a jacket that has a level or 2 of zip out liners that don't impact the fit much. And then for a rain layer just something inexpensive and compact that you can toss over the jacket.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
My solution is Aerostich Darien Goretex jacket and pants. Electric jacket liner when needed

Few reasons:
Never made sense to me to have to stop and put on raingear.
The Aeorstich stuff is made of thick Codura nylon. It's lightweight for the level of protection.
I bought used at 1/3 the price of new. They have been making gear for several decades so there is a lot of it out there.
It doesn't seem to wear out. Yea colors fade and zippers get worn but it lasts longer than anything else I've tried.

I do replace the Aerostich hard armor with reactive stuff like D30.

It's hot here in the desert and mesh makes it worse. The Darien jacket has cuff/sleeve zippers that let air come in and circulate through the jacket. Wear a wet vest type thing under it and it's almost chilly in 100+ weather.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a very light and large reflective vest that I wear over everything. That lets me layer under it as I see fit without being restricted to motorcycle specific clothing. I have Carhart overalls which provides me warmth for most cold days. I have a motorcycle jacket with two different liners that can be worn together or independently for less cold days or I can put it with or without the liners under the overalls when it is really cold. Sometimes I include a sweater by itself or layered or a sport coat. I have a large set of rain gear which Is big enough to fit over everything but the reflective vest but can be tightened to fit over street clothes.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Klim Badlands top and bottom. Waterproof, windproof, lots of vents to open, abrasion resistant, armor in all the right places. A heated jacket and a cooling vest and I'm good to go from 35F to 100+F. No stopping to put on or take off gear. I dress for the weather and the crash.
Lots of great deals on used gear in the Advrider Flea market.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Klim Badlands top and bottom. Waterproof, windproof, lots of vents to open, abrasion resistant, armor in all the right places. A heated jacket and a cooling vest and I'm good to go from 35F to 100+F. No stopping to put on or take off gear. I dress for the weather and the crash.
Lots of great deals on used gear in the Advrider Flea market.

ADV flea market - Well, there goes the rest of my money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This comes to mind ;) I'd suggest getting better thin base layers and a jacket that has a level or 2 of zip out liners that don't impact the fit much. And then for a rain layer just something inexpensive and compact that you can toss over the jacket.
View attachment 274530

I'll get some Kevlar and Dineema and tell my Gammy to "Get to Knitten" 😀

·
Registered
41 Posts
Three seasons jacket with zip out liner, snug heated vest that would fit under the jacket for the really cold days or high elevations.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
My .02 on heated gear - don't. If you are relying on heated grips, vests, jackets or nut warmers then you are in trouble when it fails. There is plenty of gear with actual thin insulation that is good in below freezing temps. You sometimes need to think outside the box and go to ski racing gear.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I used my cooling vest for the first time a few days ago. Was very impressed, kept me cool and a bit clammy for four hours.

Reactions: Big Boy

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
My .02 on heated gear - don't. If you are relying on heated grips, vests, jackets or nut warmers then you are in trouble when it fails. There is plenty of gear with actual thin insulation that is good in below freezing temps. You sometimes need to think outside the box and go to ski racing gear.
My heated jacket liner and gloves are about 5 years old. I commute through the winter. Never a problem with them. If I'm on a trip when it's cold I've got warm layers with me but heated gear is warmer by far then insulated clothes, no comparison.

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
I only use heated glove liners but my First Gear liners have been very durable.

On long trips I prefer a 3 season jacket so not having to carry dedicated rain jacket and I'm usually in the mountains in June so need to be good to 5C.
I use ColdPruf layers as needed ..buy the top oversize so just goes over riding shirt and base layer.

Downside with that is anything above 28c is unbearable. I opted for my summer gear on a six day trip North of Superior ...most days were tough even with the mesh and dunking my shirt - as high as 35 ( 95F ) that far north in June ....it was past the Arctic watershed!!!

Layered mesh -Joe Rocket - I'm good between 32C and 10C. Hard time staying cool enough above that.

3 season Gortex jacket 5c to 28C. Hypothermia can sneak upon you and without some powered heat source you can be in trouble.

ColdPruf tops and long johns pack down very small and serve as useful layers for both 3 season jackets and mesh based systems.
Poly is must have for layers and cotton to be avoided - you can get yourself in serious problems with cotton as an underlayer if it gets wet ( sweat etc ) on a cold day. I wear poly fishing shirts for riding for the big pockets and loose fit to allow other layers. They dry very quickly .....same thing with poly boxers.
I take two over size cotton Tees for sleeping.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
When cold weather traveling I have a down jacket I wear under my ridding jacket.

It is tinny and will pack down to the size of a beer can.

I take the liner out of my bike jacket and replace it with the down jacket, it is also my about town jacket when I arrive at my destination.

My bike jacket is waterproof but I still ware a light jacket over it in the wet, it drys much quicker on the outside.

Reactions: Magoo and Big B

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
When on touring trips I use a summer jacket and pants with armour over T-shirt / polo top and shorts or jeans etc.. with a collarless parka that can go over or under the summer jacket, then a Klim Traverse waterproof jacket and pants with no armour in them that can be worn over the top of everything if it is raining or cold winds.
The parka also gives me a normal day wear type jacket when wandering around town /club /pub /visiting people etc..
In really cold weather I can layer up with underwear, thermals, T-shirt, shirt, jumper, jackets, outer Klim windproof /waterproof over the top of everything else.

Surprisingly even wearing it all doesn't feel all that bulky.

·
Registered
56 Posts
having the puff and rain jacket on the outside would ruin them after a crash,
Don't expect any non-leather gear you have on to survive any crash other than a low-speed get off. That's not what it's designed to do. It is designed to protect YOU.

I had a spill at somewhere between 35 and 40 mph, with these results. Other than a small abrasion on my left elbow, where the elbow pad slid out of position I was unhurt but all my riding gear was toast. It did its job and died a hero. Had I been riding in cooler weather I'd have had several layers of lightweight outdoor activewear on inside the jacket for warmth and wind protection. That too would likely have been toast, even inside the jacket.
PB230466w.jpg
PB230467w.jpg
PB230471w.jpg
PB230479w.jpg
PB230481w.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Layering definitely helps to adjust for the season and weather. I started out with no motorcycle specific gear some 20+ years ago so I used what I had, and only slowly started adding MC specific gear, mainly for crash protection.

I have ridden many times in freezing temperatures pulling ski bib overalls over regular pants, and a down jacket on top with a mountaineering Goretex shell as wind breaker. None of it has any motorcycle specific protection but at least plenty of bulk. Always kept me warm even before I had any heated gear or grips.

For three season riding I now have this setup: heated vest (plug in or not as needed, or keep it in the luggage if it’s hot) followed by leather jacket or protected mesh jacket, and the aforementioned Goretex shell in the tank bag if it gets cold or rainy. Klim Dakar pants (great cheap pants I picked up this year) with added protectors and mountaineering style Goretex overpants if I need more warmth or if it really starts raining.

A thin balaclava under the helmet is also a good way to add warmth as it keeps the wind away from skin around the neck.

I am sure the $1500 suits are a very well engineered compromise for a wide range of climates but there is no way they are not hot in the dead of summer and at the same time warm enough when the temps drop well below 40.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
Leather isn't necessarily the best anymore, Klim and Aerostich gear crash survivors have shown to have survived quite well in many stories and pics shown. But yeah agree that the gear is their to protect you and not necessarily fare well for future riding, so THAT is why we wear the gear to begin with........it makes the sacrifices over our skin and bones.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts