StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm willing to look like an idiot to those of you who already know about this "trick". But if it helps just one rider, .....
I live in the NW USA, where it can be rainy and cool (but only from Sept to June). I've been dealing with foggy faceshields and glasses for as long as I've been riding up here. Nothing short of opening the faceshield would work (full face Arai) and that sucked in the rain. I tried every mechanical (inserts, pinlock, etc), chemical, and home remedy I could find. I would apply multiple coats of every anti-fog spray on the market. Nothing worked. Until last week. I'm not sure why I tried this, but I sprayed the inside of my faceshield with the same product I had unsuccessfully tried before. Only this time I wiped away the residue once, very lightly. It was like a miracle. Absolutely no fog. Cold days, rainy days, cold rainy days and my faceshield is totally clear. I realized that all this time when I thought I was "rubbing in" the chemical, I was actually rubbing it off. There is no distortion from the residual chemical. I'm using Blaze Anti Fog Lens Cleaner and a microfiber cloth but I'll bet it works with any brand. Apply and take one light pass with the cloth.
Like I said, maybe common knowledge but, folks, it's changed my riding enjoyment significantly.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Rick: the same trick you have found worked for you has been working for me for the last 15 years, except I use dish soap.

Damn right: "rub it on, not off".

I need to reaply the soap daily though, maybe your stuff is better than mine...
I'm thinking of trying some rain-x soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Before defrost was standard on trucks old timers told me they used lanolin on windshields. Said it would keep glass from fogging up. Not sure how it would work on plastic.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick: the same trick you have found worked for you has been working for me for the last 15 years, except I use dish soap.

Damn right: "rub it on, not off".

I need to reaply the soap daily though, maybe your stuff is better than mine...
I'm thinking of trying some rain-x soon.
I also have to apply every day. Sometimes twice. But well worth the effort.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
I commute in seattle as well and PinLock has always worked well for me. The inserts seam to last about 2 years and start to fog. BUT I don't wear glasses when I ride. The few times that I had to wear my glasses I did have fogging issues and each time it was my glasses that were fogging not my shield.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm willing to look like an idiot to those of you who already know about this "trick". But if it helps just one rider, .....
Yes, I figured this out myself this summer, but with See-Kleer Anti-fog Spray. I may have even mentioned it in another post. I smear it around with my fingertips, then wipe lightly with a micro-fleece cloth. I think I too would rub it right off. If you don't wipe it just enough, you get some distortion. It's not a hard trick to learn.

I also do the front and back surfaces of my eye-glass lenses. Even though they have an expensive surface coating which supposedly is anti-fog, they do fog otherwise.

When I stop after a couple of hours, I redo the treatment.

I expect this trick will help more than one rider. I hope so.

Marc

PS, and somewhat related: I don't do the outside of the shield, as fogging is not a problem there, but will do that surface also next time (next year, unfortunately) - I think it might help to disperse the large rain drops. Gord in Kingston let me use a product he had which worked fine for this. Plexus (Plastic Cleaner), yeah, that's the name.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
All the products work to some degree I think. The only surefire way is to
1. Deflect your exhaled breath away from the visor
2. crack the visor and normalize the temperature.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
All the products work to some degree I think. The only surefire way is to
1. Deflect your exhaled breath away from the visor
That's what the Respro mask does. Other products try to do it, but nothing else I've seen is effective. The Respro is not only compatible with glasses, it even prevents them from fogging as well, which no other mechanical method even claims to do.

The only downside, as I said, is that it's a little fussy. Velcro bits come off, positioning it is a PITA, and it makes helmet donning and removal harder.

·
Registered
495 Posts
im partial to the diving stuff. I like the think goop/gel.

apply it on a clean visor, rub it in, rinse off, do NOT rub with a cloth.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Shaving cream

I spread foaming shaving cream on the inside of my face shield and allow it to dry (at least 10 minutes). Then I gently wipe it off with a tissue just until the point where I can't 'see' the film anymore -- I hold up the face shield to the light and look through it. If I see a haze I wipe just a tad bit more.

That lasts a full day and works fantastic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This year I have been commuting more in Portland similar to Seattle). On the wet and cool mornings (I head out of the house ~5:00 am). and what I find is that my eyeglasses fog. They have an anti-reflective coating, which is hygroscopic, so nothing really works on them. Therefore, I have to keep the visor cracked open. I don't mind this until it rains and then I get raindrops on the inside of the visor.

On a longer trip I can usually leave the visor closed and there is enough ventilation, it's only when I'm sitting in traffic that I need to keep it cracked open.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
This stuff not only works great, you don't have to apply it every day. It even works (though not quite as well) on my glasses with AR coating: Clarity Defog It - webBikeWorld

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
A scuba diver will spit in his mask. Rub it around with a finger, then rinse it once. Never twice. Never use a cloth on it. That is on a glass surface though, and it is a lot smaller than a motorcycle shield, still, spit is free and might just work.

I am having great success with my pinlock so far.

I bought some Cat Crap, but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fogless - pledge

Have been using Pledge for a few years. No issues, smells great. Clean/dry your lens(es), shake can, spray on thin film both sides, let sit, lightly buff off w/ clean soft cloth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts