StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well My apartment lease is terminated, I sold my car, and I'm leaving for deployment on the 22nd. Might as well hit the road I figure! Enjoy the beautiful west coast while I can XD

I just bought a used DL1000 that needs some...... well okay, Lots of love. It replaced a 96 BMW R1100RT in quite good condition, The beemer just wasnt me. I must say I LOVE the Vee. I enjoy being able to do whatever I want to it with out having to buff it with wax a few times just for touching it.

The Vee isnt as good around corners, is top heavy, louder, and more ugly (in a sexy way) But something about it just draws me to it. Maybe its the thousands of options for it. or that it can do just about everything. Its great!

Okay! That aside. Today I am packing up the last of my apartment. I mean leaving tomorrow night I believe to start my trip. I'm an Avid personal photographer running with a older Nikon D70s that I just love. Better body then the new small ones that feel.... weak. I also have a Go Pro HD mounted to the front of the strom to take images every 1 minuet on the trip. I'll be posting all the images from the Go Pro and my Nikon on a photobucket account I made for this. The GoPro HD Images will be formed into a time lapse video when I'm back home.

Soooo I'm taking my trip south by way of Hwy-101. If anyone has some great spots I should be sure to hit Let me know! specially when it comes places to pitch a tent, maybe free hike in spots! I wont be getting silly hotel rooms, I have a tent, sleeping bag and camp what nots to enjoy the great outdoors for a week. I figure 3 days going south and 3 days back north. maybe 4 south and 2 back.

Oh, heres a image of my DL1000 with 83,000 miles on her clock. The clutch needs a basket replacement soon. But it will do just fine on this trip. I'll change that myself when I get back in a year.

(missing my touring windscreen and Gerber Axe that will be on the side of the bike)

So yea, Anyone know any good things to do, see or where I can stay for cheap or free for tenting!

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Thanks for your service,
I am in Texas so no help to you..
Have a good trip ,
Check back when you get back from your tour of duty..
Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you can make it as far south as Eureka, CA. try Hwy 36, which is just south of Eureka, going west to Red Bluff. It is 140 miles of twists and turns, pure motorcycling nirvana. You could take Hwy 299 from Redding back to Eureka but I would suggest turning around and do 36 the other way. There is gas in Patina but look for the Wildwood Store, it has gas, food service and the owner is very nice and a good source of information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can make it as far south as Eureka, CA. try Hwy 36, which is just south of Eureka, going west to Red Bluff. It is 140 miles of twists and turns, pure motorcycling nirvana. You could take Hwy 299 from Redding back to Eureka but I would suggest turning around and do 36 the other way. There is gas in Patina but look for the Wildwood Store, it has gas, food service and the owner is very nice and a good source of information.
Thats the second time I've heard of that hwy. I think I'm going to have to give it a check. Still getting used to cornering on the Vee. Would be good practice XD

Thanks for the info. I'll be going to about the Bay area in California.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm finally posting!

I set off from Vancouver WA with my loaded Vstrom 1000 and tried heading west from there.

Well I missed my turn twice so I decided to just go south on I-5 Till I got to the next highway to shoot me over to 101. Woops XD

I took Highway 34 I believe it was. Turned out to be a great ride. Amazing views. Most of it was right along a nice river that I often stopped at to rest by. Was sunny and warm. Really great.

GoPro blurs alittle at high speed but its still a nifty shot of the HWY. Lots of twists, great views.

Gravel parking lot, First time on gravel on ANY bike.... No issues. :3

The River I often stopped at was so nice right here. Until some kids came along kicking water in the river making noise like kids always seem to. Laaame! oh well.

I eventually arrived at 101 at it seemed like the instant I did it was cold and foggy! And thats how it was from there on out. I didnt mind though, The weather was refreshing. Much better riding in that cold fog then in the blistering heat, which I'll deal with in California I learned.

Here is where the fog bank made landfall. It was so amazing. I took a panoramic shot but had issues stitching it together. Next time Ill use my tripod for that, I was just lazy!

There it is from my GoPro HD

And me looking like a retard because I forgot to turn off the GoPro XD

looks like the hills are on fire. Was so amazing.

And this is how it was 99% of the way till well into California!

There where so many great little towns Lots of trinket shops and small stores. seemed like there was another small oddly named town every 30-40 miles. none of which where very big.

I eventually noticed a house sitting off the road down a ways. It was RIGHT next to a cliff overlooking one of the most amazing views. And it was for sale! So I went down and took a look. What an amazing view.

Thats the view from the front yard. Simply amazing. Id kill to own that home. Until it fell into the sea that is.

My faithful Vee. I'm still amazed. Havent had it long but its built rock solid. I love it. best bike I've ever owned, despite its dislike for the twisties.

More images and what not later to come, I need to get off the computer now!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for sharing you trip and photos! Looks like a great ride. But I have to disagree with this:

... despite its dislike for the twisties.
I have a 650, but have enough miles on the 1000 to know they aren't that different and they both like the twisties. I'm not saying they are the best handling bike, but maybe you just have to get used to the top heaviness.

And have you heard of CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time? Never used it but it is supposed to be pretty cool and probably worth a look up for cheap/free lodging.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Very nice sir. Be very careful on your year "off".

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Dislike of the twisties???

my 1000 loves the twisties, and I have the ground down footpegs to proove it.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you have not slid the fork tubes up in the triple clamps about 10 to 15 mm do so.
It will make the bike turn in much better. Mine with street tires, fork brace and elka shock now handles pretty good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Enjoy the ride - I road the WA/OR/CA coast this past July on my DL1000K7 and even got a compliment from a guy on one of the BMW sport tourers (forget which it was) about my handling the overloaded pig thru the twisties (loaded Jesse's and a dry bag with tent and gear on rear of seat totalling about 140lbs or so)

The strom is a great bike even when the fuel pump is dying and ya can't rev over 6K rpm it still pulls well (nursed it from Yukon Terr. then got that fixed in San Francisco)

Sure wish I could do another trip soon but gotta pay the VISA off from that one first
:fineprint:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts