StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be riding the Parkway and surrounding areas on Saturday the 18th of Oct. I have reserved a site at Lazy J campground in Rosman NC for rest after the ride.
So far El Brown and possibly Norm will be joining me. The campground allows 4folks per site. More sites are currently available.(828-966-3834) The campground allows drink as long as it is in a cup.
I'm looking to take a long ride in the mountains ,followed by an evening meal with drink and stories around the campfire.
If you tell tall tales no problem as I will be sipping some Crown and may embellish some stories myself. The term, I call BS, will not be permitted.
So this is your chance to do what men have done since men started riding horses. Ride long, eat grub, sip drink and tell lies, er,stories around a fire.
So man up and tell Momma you are going( or in my case clear it with her.;)
What say you?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
as luck would have it

I'll be riding the Parkway and surrounding areas on Saturday the 18th of Oct. I have reserved a site at Lazy J campground in Rosman NC for rest after the ride.
So far El Brown and possibly Norm will be joining me. The campground allows 4folks per site. More sites are currently available.(828-966-3834) The campground allows drink as long as it is in a cup.
I'm looking to take a long ride in the mountains ,followed by an evening meal with drink and stories around the campfire.
If you tell tall tales no problem as I will be sipping some Crown and may embellish some stories myself. The term, I call BS, will not be permitted.
So this is your chance to do what men have done since men started riding horses. Ride long, eat grub, sip drink and tell lies, er,stories around a fire.
So man up and tell Momma you are going( or in my case clear it with her.;)
What say you?
Being the captain of my ship, the king of the castle and master of the throne, a man among men, I asked my bride if I could go and she said" I'm doing a craft sale so I'll be busy" (for you younger fellows, that translates to I don't give a crap what you do as I've got girl stuff). I take that as a yes. I'm in as long as I don't have to stay up too late.
Uncle Lar

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Being the captain of my ship, the king of the castle and master of the throne, a man among men, I asked my bride if I could go and she said" I'm doing a craft sale so I'll be busy" (for you younger fellows, that translates to I don't give a crap what you do as I've got girl stuff). I take that as a yes. I'm in as long as I don't have to stay up too late.
Uncle Lar
Dude,

You're gonna miss a craft show?!?!?!?

I think you can count me in.

R

·
0 Posts
Doubt if I will camp but I am a big prolly for the ride. Any routes yet. I say we eat at the Mitchell resturant for lunch, they are dieing up there this year. Man the parkway is going to be crazy with the leaf lookers at that time of year. Should be a beuatiful ride but prolly super boring. Keep us updated.

RR

·
Registered
336 Posts
As shocked as I am that a guy would sacrifice the opportuntiy to miss out on a craft show , I suppose I could take the time to ease down the mountain and make sure he is ok . I don't mind helping a guy out when he is giving up so much . lol

Actually , I live just up the mountain a few miles from Rosman . I am in Sapphire, NC and would surely like to meet up with some other Stroms . Picking up my new DL1000 in a few hours and will be looking to ride off some break in miles this weekend and next weekend without a doubt . No need for me to camp , I am only a few miles away .

There is some mentioning of eating at Mitchell . I am assuming that means Mount Mitchell . The BRP is closed North of Craggy Picnic area and you get cut off from travelling North any further than that . Not sure what the get back on spot is going North , but I do know you have to get of at Craggy and go around . It is surely a pan to do the detour . BRP is open rom Craggy to the Southern most terminus though .

For food for thought . I am curious if some folks might be interested in going to Maggie Valley to the " Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum . You probably already know that WTT is closing for good in November so the opportunities to get to see it are slipping away .

Any idea on a meeting time at the campground and what day you'll be there .

Just a thought , Wes

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Wes

Happy to hear you can make it. I'll be at Lazy J about 9am. Saturday.
We'll meet and discuss routes and grub options. Did someone mention Pie?
Regards Mike D.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
There is some mentioning of eating at Mitchell . I am assuming that means Mount Mitchell . The BRP is closed North of Craggy Picnic area and you get cut off from travelling North any further than that . Not sure what the get back on spot is going North , but I do know you have to get of at Craggy and go around . It is surely a pan to do the detour . BRP is open rom Craggy to the Southern most terminus though .

For food for thought . I am curious if some folks might be interested in going to Maggie Valley to the " Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum . You probably already know that WTT is closing for good in November so the opportunities to get to see it are slipping away .

Any idea on a meeting time at the campground and what day you'll be there .

Just a thought , Wes
There is a very nice workaround to the north, If I can remember the route in reverse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ridding BRP

Hey folks,

Sounds like a fun ride. I would like to join you guys sat morning. I am yet to decide on camping out that night. Rosman is about 40 miles away for me. Any Kickin Chicken fans?

Johndre

·
Registered
336 Posts
MikeD.

Hey man , I am wondering two things here . Is the Lazy J campground the one that is a few miles up 215 off 64 going towards the BRP ?

And ... Is the sneak around the BRP closier that you mentioned , dirt . pavement or what ?

By the way and just to let you know , I am no speed demon so am good with getting the meeting spots and being the last one in the chow line . LOL . Being last at chow time is a good thing . I need someone to pre-eat the left overs . LOL

Wes

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Po Sloke,

The Northern work-around is off the access road to Craggy Gardens (2178, gravel) to Dillingham Road to 197 (paved and not) thru Pensacola to 19E to 80 to the Parkway and on to Mount Mitchell.

There's a Southern one too, actually a couple which include some unpaved roads.

Norm

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
BRP/18th

OK, I don't want to hold things up but I (and JR if he goes) may not be there at 9ish as he's coming from Charlotte (JR, weigh in here if you wish) and I thought it polite to meet him on his way (I swear that this is the last time I'll use "polite" as an excuse) and travel together. Anyhow, I don't care about hauling my camp stuff around all day if it is more convenient to meet/intersect you along some route. Roughly, where do you plan to go from the Lazy J? Let me know.
By the way, the beautiful, hand made (somewhat girlie) craft items are presently being staged for the sale. Anybody need beautiful, hand made, fabric covered hangers for that special someone? How about baby blankets? Table runners? Bread basket liners(what the hell?)?
Somebody save me!

·
Registered
336 Posts
elbrown ,

Man , you had me laffin to the point of broken ribs . Thanks man , I needed a good laugh . If the Mr's was making some good fleece doggie tugga toys , I could make you rich overnight . Fabric covered hangers ???? Man O Man , my buds would run me off . Can you imagine a single guy like me having a closet full of those puppies ? Face it , you'd run me off too . Funny stuff Bro , funny stuff .

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
welcome to hell.

elbrown ,

Man , you had me laffin to the point of broken ribs . Thanks man , I needed a good laugh . If the Mr's was making some good fleece doggie tugga toys , I could make you rich overnight . Fabric covered hangers ???? Man O Man , my buds would run me off . Can you imagine a single guy like me having a closet full of those puppies ? Face it , you'd run me off too . Funny stuff Bro , funny stuff .
This is real life. And by the way, don't laugh at Martha's hangers: it hurts like hell when she beats me with them. Riding a motorcycle is pretty risk free when compared to life with the craft godess. Why else would I agree to camp in the cold with a bunch of knuckleheads (witty knuckleheads I must admit) I've never met. I'll take my chances with axe murderers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
setting up camp at 9am

I'll be at the Lazy J campground setting up and I will wait there until all who wish to camp and or ride show up. It's not all about the ride, I am actually looking foward to meeting you guys.
The campground is about 1 mile north of 64 on hwy 215.
I was thinking we could go up 215 to the BRP after meeting at the campground.
Norm knows most of the good roads in the area. I'm open to suggestions.
Lets try to get a head count by Thursday evening.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Po Sloke,

The Northern work-around is off the access road to Craggy Gardens (2178, gravel) to Dillingham Road to 197 (paved and not) thru Pensacola to 19E to 80 to the Parkway and on to Mount Mitchell.

There's a Southern one too, actually a couple which include some unpaved roads.

Norm
Thanks for the info on the roads around Craggy. Any info is appreciated.

Will not be able to camp since we are camping same area next week. Have a great time!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sorry to say but i won't be able to make it. I was so looking forward to this weekend, but i guess i'll make do with a later season ride. I hate to miss meeting you guys but maybe next time...J.R.

R

·
0 Posts
Yea I am out too. Hopefully we can get a New Years Day ride up. NOT on the BRP tho, man that would be cold. Have fun tomorrow and be safe up there.

RR

R

·
0 Posts
Glad I got to meet two more Troopers this Sat. Mike and Larry. U all not take any pics. Norm said that the Jameson was going to be passed around the fire, surely someone stuck thier foot in the fire or something.:p

RR

1 - 20 of 22 Posts