StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding a motorcycle is obviously an enjoyable experience. Some people are satisfied with a half-dozen Sundays a year, and then spend the rest of the time rubbing their bike with a diaper in the garage (this seems to be more prevalent with those owning H-D's than V-Stroms, a bike meant to be ridden) while others (like me) spend as much time as possible on two wheels, and the rest of the time thinking about it.

I'm curious ... What are some ways people can think of to get paid to ride? And I mean full-time, paid enough to cover a mortgage kind of pay? Obviously there are the rare few that are motorcycling journalists. But what other ideas are there?

·
Registered
22,267 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I'm starting to use mine for my Computer Consulting job. Most of the time all I need is my laptop and a couple of portable hard drives. I can fit my daily case in my Givi E52 and have everything I need.

Hopefully I don't find a machine that I need to bring home to fix. . . ;)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride my bike to work a lot, but that's incidental to what I do and isn't really what I'm after. I want to get paid to ride. :) I've thought about the "roving reporter" angle, sort of like Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" show on Food Network, where he rides his motorcycle from small town to small town, and then does a video segment on the food he finds there. That sort of thing.

Perhaps combine outdoor or travel photography with motorcycling. Make a series of motorcycling calendars. Who knows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess you could always try to be Valentino Rossi. I hear he makes a couple of bucks riding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess you could always try to be Valentino Rossi. I hear he makes a couple of bucks riding.
Then there's always the other,
Motorcop.
Which I was until a dui hit me from the side/behind effectively ending that career in '99. Did 10 years in the streets, then the last 5 like that.
Yep, got paid to ride a motorcycle. A blast while it lasted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got a new job where I travel to my customers in Sc and W NC. My boss does not mind it if I take the motorcycle instead of my car. I have not done it yet because I don't have the luggage I need to pull it off yet.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Hopefully I don't find a machine that I need to bring home to fix. . . :wink:
Actually the Wee can carry quite a bit if you want it to. This is one example. Its a 1Kw generator that I picked up at Canadian Tire when we had an extended power outage. Its certainly bigger than a computer but I have also carried lots of other things. Including computers.

Jobs riding bikes need not be related to just the bike I expect. There are the obvious ones like motorcycle cop, racer, bike race marshal, magazine reviewer, stunt rider, round the world traveller and the like but think about using the bike just as a transport vehicle the get you to and from your work. Whatever it is. I'll bet you would get a lot more fun out of it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I read a editorial in one of the MC mags recently from the Chief editor that said many people are amazed at how LITTLE he actually rides. Claims to spend as much or more time riding the desk as many of his buddies that have conventional jobs. I suspect he probably rides quite a bit more but I would also bet that he doesnt ride as much as many of us think the Moto-journalists do.

I still want to start my own Adventure/Tour mag. :D

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I read a editorial in one of the MC mags recently from the Chief editor that said many people are amazed at how LITTLE he actually rides. Claims to spend as much or more time riding the desk as many of his buddies that have conventional jobs. I suspect he probably rides quite a bit more but I would also bet that he doesnt ride as much as many of us think the Moto-journalists do.
Since I do ride during the week, I'm amazed at how few bikes are out there. I average about 175-200 miles/day and most days I see no more than a couple or three other riders.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Since I do ride during the week, I'm amazed at how few bikes are out there. I average about 175-200 miles/day and most days I see no more than a couple or three other riders.
Here in Florida, you'll see loafers, dress pants, and ties. But it's mostly seasonal because in the Summer months it gets hot early...this morning it was 80F at 6am. The company I work for has outside sales people, but who would buy software from a sweaty guy who rolls up on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
216 Posts
You could set up a guide service. Buy a few bikes to rent out. Offer guided or unguided trips. Customers can rent or bring their own bikes. You could travel around to destination spots and map new roads all the time. Best thing is you could offer a Stromtrooper discount. :cool: Here is a local place.http://www.oregonmotorcycleadventures.com/

Dann

Have a nice day, unless you planned otherwise...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm curious ... What are some ways people can think of to get paid to ride? And I mean full-time, paid enough to cover a mortgage kind of pay? Obviously there are the rare few that are motorcycling journalists. But what other ideas are there?
I have no idea the about the wage but this looks like fun ..

http://www.superbikeschool.com/news/#10

--Mike

·
Registered
185 Posts
As a photographer I have to use the wee to get up to the mountains or even just around concord sometimes, its such a hardship I tell ya :)

I used my F3 ALOT for photography, it was the best way to be able to hit up as many places in boston/cambridge as possible while the light was still good.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Photographers aren't typically "just photographers." They tend to specialize. Weddings. Portraits. Food. Yes, there are photographers that specialize in taking pictures of food (there's a lot more to it than meets the eye; pun intended). Maybe I could specialize in motorcycle photography. Oooh, I know! Better yet -- adventure motorcycle photography. Bikes AND cool places! Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!

:)

(Now I'm just dreaming! But isn't that the whole point?)

·
Premium Member
205 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Photographers aren't typically "just photographers." They tend to specialize. Weddings. Portraits. Food. Yes, there are photographers that specialize in taking pictures of food (there's a lot more to it than meets the eye; pun intended). Maybe I could specialize in motorcycle photography. Oooh, I know! Better yet -- adventure motorcycle photography. Bikes AND cool places! Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!

:)

(Now I'm just dreaming! But isn't that the whole point?)
Yup for me its a wide range though.... from studio work (portraits), city/landscapes and macro work.

As for the food photographers you dont want to know what that food is like :twisted: hmmm bleach

1 - 20 of 26 Posts