StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21000 miles on my front Tourance and still going very strong, no abnormal wear... Actually, abnormally good wear! I was wondering if anyone else has similar mileage with a tire that still looks this good? Or even, what is the most anyone has gotten out of a front tire w/o running to threads?

ImageUploadedByMO Free1376520051.903899.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1376520080.834494.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just out of interest, what pressure are you running in that tyre?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm replacing my front with when it's time! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
My front Shinko 705 was removed this summer with 21,000 on it. Less than 1/4 of the tread was used, but there was some cupping. 37 PSI.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
I typically replace my front Tourance tires at what works out to somewhere between 21,000 and 25,000 miles. I run 40ish psi on them. Usually there is enough tread that if it was the rear I wouldn't think about replacing them, but cupping etc make me want to get new ones.

..Tom

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tires are not cupped a bit (probably due to lack of front braking) but they will be shortly (hh sintered pads from stockers) I run 36 front always and it seems many others get amazing mileage from these tires as well. We'll see where I am in 5000 miles, but even if they cupped down to the wear bars, it wouldn't be that bad as they only have 3 mm left.

All of my Tourance rears flat spotted within 3000 miles, I may look for another rear next swap, but I definitely plan in keeping the Tourance front

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Tom,
It is too bad that you can't drive the front tire to sand it, you could remove that cupping in about 15 minutes
I'd love to know what you are talking about... Can you explain please?

..Tom

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to know what you are talking about... Can you explain please?

..Tom
When my rear tire gets squared off, I put it on the stand and have my wife brace it while holding a teeny bit of throttle in 2nd. I take a concrete block and round out the tires til they are smoking, let them cool for 30 seconds while rotating an then do it again till they are round. This way you can get a nice even profile all the way around. I did this on cars with bad cupping as well, I just did one axle and swapped the tires on the non-drive axle to the drive axle and did the same.
The problem is you don't really have a way to drive the front tire to do this. If you did though, my tip is to let the tires cool when they jut start to become glossy, regardless of the smoke, wear a respirator or at least a dust mask, long sleeves, impact gloves and put a fan on your radiator. This method is much better than just trying to do a burnout because you have better temp control and you can see problem areas and address, also it's easier to do manually.

Do so at your own risk, there is a possibility of your bike coming off the stand, tipping, chain getting caught, lots of variables so be safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hard to argue with the Tourance

I've got 17,500 on my front and it still looks solid. I think 21,000 is about the most I've gotten out of a tire and it was my last set of Tourances. I'm only getting 15-16 out of the rear though, and usually thats to the steel! I don't think I'm going to try anything else though, happy with the performance to longevity ratio for sure!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Coincidently, I pulled a Dunlop D607 off the front at 21k miles, still had plenty of tread. The other fronts I replaced around 8-16K, after 1 or 2 rears. None of them looked over half used. I figger all fronts, regardless of make, will go ~20K on the DL's.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be replacing my front tire likely late this winter, but it's good to know that it is a commonality with these bikes to have good front mileage.

Btw, just swapped back to stock rear size from my 140/80. It was nice for the extra gearing on the highway, but it wasn't very confidence inspiring in the turns and flat spotted a couple thousand miles before my last 150/70. If you want a tire for offroad and they only have this size available, by all means get it. But it's not the best size for road use on this bike

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coincidently, I pulled a Dunlop D607 off the front at 21k miles, still had plenty of tread. The other fronts I replaced around 8-16K, after 1 or 2 rears. None of them looked over half used. I figger all fronts, regardless of make, will go ~20K on the DL's.
If you want, you can start mailing me your half used tires :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, wonder what the cost would be from Texarkana, and what carrier I'd use.
For something coming from that close I'd say carrier pidgeon. Used tires are lighter that new ones anyways. I don't think it would be too much to ship, probably a handful of birdseed to send and another handful when I receive it.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got around 21,600 miles on my stock TW front. I use Ride-On sealant so that increases tire wear, so I know that my mileage may be different from most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Michlin pilot road

21000 miles on my front Tourance and still going very strong, no abnormal wear... Actually, abnormally good wear! I was wondering if anyone else has similar mileage with a tire that still looks this good? Or even, what is the most anyone has gotten out of a front tire w/o running to threads?

View attachment 48777 View attachment 48785

Michlin pilot road has a simular but closer tread than the tire your showing. Mine has over 8000 miles and still measures the same as new. The surface of the tread is getting a little harder,and it's losing 10 lbs. a month air pressure. Handling changes alot with air pressure. 32 is OK but 28 seems just right. It pushes in parking lots harder so I keep it aired up. It rises up in turns if it's got any more than that and does it some with 32. under 28 it dives in too much and makes a feeling that the back is going to come around if I was to run it hard. I've backed off running hard as that costs too much. I haven;t ridin off the road any either for the same reason. I'm running a Michlin Pilot 3 trail on the rear and haven't noticed any wear on it either but it only has 2000 miles or less. I'm not certain if better tires are out there, as I've had 10 sets and have been changing types and brands, most all changes. The only tires I didn't care for was the orginal trailwings, and a front Avon VentonX, The Avon was noisy and was only installed as the Conti attack, for the front was back ordered for a few months and my old brigstone 023 had to come off as it changed as it wore to bad handling. It didn't show the wear but something happened as it gave an untrustworthy feeling. It was fine when it was new and it changed with about 3000 miles on it. It was the best graval road tire that I've tried and way better than the Trailwing. When it changed it still rode good on gravel. The michlins have really turned the bike up and I think if I went back to any of the other tires even new the bike would feel dangerous in conparison.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Youse boys must be riding on felt roads. I don't get anywhere near half that mileage. My rear Tourance only lasted 6400 miles and I was at the wear bars. $200 is way to pricey to get that mileage. I've got a Stinko Shinko on there now. At least it wasn't expensive.
The front is a Battle wing and it won't last 10K.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Youse boys must be riding on felt roads. I don't get anywhere near half that mileage. My rear Tourance only lasted 6400 miles and I was at the wear bars. $200 is way to pricey to get that mileage. I've got a Stinko Shinko on there now. At least it wasn't expensive.
The front is a Battle wing and it won't last 10K.
Here in Texas they repave all the highways unnecessarily, so it's pretty much all new asphalt, we also don't have much concrete in the area I'm in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts