StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help with suggestions.

The wife is beginning to ride with me on the Wee-Strom more and more, but we miss the ability to talk to one another.

With our first helmets, open-faced with a flip shield, we could yell at one another and get buy, but since we have purchased full-faced helmets, it is impossible.

So, I am looking for a Rider to Rider Intercom System that works, is simple and is reasonably priced (Hopefully something for $100). I don't care about hooking in an IPod, a CB, a Radar Detector, etc.... I just want the simple intercom.

We experimented with cell phones and head sets......didn't work. We also purchased some of the best ear bud and mic sets for our family radios and that didn't work either.

So.....Help Please!!!!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just ordered these... Motorola HS830

http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/30833/vpid/2921707/vpcsid/0/rid/120475

with shipping was just under $90.00.

All the reviews I have read on it were positive with a few complaining about volume at higher speeds.

Will let you know how they work when I get them in and installed.

This outfit is very compelling. Anyone on this forum have a set of these?

BitterBorn, once you get these in....you have to write up a complete review for the rest of us.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, please report back. I finally got some time on the DLK this week end, wife and I put nearly 100 miles on it. And of course, we want a com system very soon. However, we also spent over $500 on gear yesterday, so the budget is getting stretched pretty thin after buying the bike AND 2 helmets over the last 2 weeks...

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
A MIT-15 from IMC sells for $130 but will work great. I have the MIT-100 and use it for bike to bike, intercom, sat. radio, and cellphone. It works great.

The MIT-15 is intercom only and comes with the headsets and mics for both full face and open face helmets. Also, Sierra is very good with their customer service. I know it is more than $100 but I thought I would throw it out there. Call Sierra if you have any questions. Here's a link to the MIT-15.

www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC-MIT-15

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bump.......

Sorry to be impatient, but would like to purchase something on Wednesday and need some info.
All I can say so far is that I ordered yesterday morning and recieved shipping confirmation today.

I researched the heck out of them online before I bought. Like I said great reviews out there. These are also available on ebay. I chose this company to order from because I could use google checkout. Got burned using pay pal the last time I ordered something and this company had very competive price and good feedback.

I will keep everyone in the loop through installation and testing.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, and check out the latest version....

I am only an hour away from the Colletts factory, will have to go an check it out.

http://www.collett.mb.ca/

Cheers!
Nice, but $600 is a long way from $100.

I suppose I could stretch my budget to $150, but that is the limit.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A MIT-15 from IMC sells for $130 but will work great. I have the MIT-100 and use it for bike to bike, intercom, sat. radio, and cellphone. It works great.

The MIT-15 is intercom only and comes with the headsets and mics for both full face and open face helmets. Also, Sierra is very good with their customer service. I know it is more than $100 but I thought I would throw it out there. Call Sierra if you have any questions. Here's a link to the MIT-15.

www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC-MIT-15

Wow....these look really good and I would rather be hard wired than wireless, especially BlueTooth. I have had three different BlueTooth units for my cells phones, paying as much as $130 and they have all been crap.

I am sure a guy gets what he pays for but I just can't justify a $600 communication system. This one for $130 is probably my ticket.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Nice, but $600 is a long way from $100.

I suppose I could stretch my budget to $150, but that is the limit.
Get an older set of colletts from ebay for what you want to pay. They are wonderful and collett repairs them CHEAP when/if they break. I paid $25 for a total repair on mine. I believe that is their policy, any repair is $25.

-GW

·
Registered
321 Posts
WARNING ON COLLETT. They are fantastic units, but you cannot use two collect communicators for rider/passenger use. They don't work (that is per Collett). You have to buy one of their newer units built for rider/passenger where the passenger unit is a plug in to the rider unit.

Sorry....I almost did this and talked to Collett about it.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I decided and pulled the trigger. After visiting APEX Sports here in Colorado Springs and looking at all the units they had in stock.....and talking to a couple of their employees with have tried several of the units, they had an overwhelming recommendation.......

Scala Team Set

Scala Rider TeamSet

This link, as well as APEX listed the Team Set for $229, more than what I wanted to pay.....so I hit the internet and began searching. At the end of the day, I found a cranking deal with Abe's of Maine, a place where I had purchased a couple of Digital Camera's. Abe's price......$139!!!!!! I snagged them.

Originally, I did not want BlueTooth, but the 'in person' reveiws, as well internet reviews convinced me to take the dive.

Once they arrive and the wife and I can test them out, I will write up a full review.

Here is a nice article about them.....

Click Here for the Article

·
Registered
332 Posts
Trust me..you won't be disappointed! I've had my scala rider headset for over 2yrs now. Bought the fm version and use it every time I set foot on the bike. I can't tell you how many times I've spoken to people and they had no idea I was even on my bike. When I originally purchased the setup, I owned a Triumph America with D&D loud as hell pipes. On my end of the conversation, it was a little difficult to hear what people were saying without turning the volume up too far, on their end there wasn't any engine noise, no wind noise..pretty incredible unit and the best I've found thus far, the price is pretty incredible too for the what you're getting.

I don't think I need to say anymore..you've got the setup..test it out yourself and let us know what you think.

~Joe

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
just have to add this

I ride mostly for the enjoyment of the ride. Doesn't the SO being able to talk to me (and expect me to hear her) kind of take away from the overall experience. Someone has to say it

·
Registered
213 Posts
If it does , you need to find a new SO.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My SO rides her own. And typically with me leading / following aside her. ;) I have one so that I know if anything happens while our child is at the sitters, and we're on the bikes, someone can call and tell us at any moment. No, I don't want someone calling the entire time I'm on the bike..but for those instances and if I'm suppose to meet up with someone for a ride, it definitely makes life easier then stopping to make calls or to check for them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it does , you need to find a new SO.

Well ............... to each their own I guess. My SO rides pilon on almost every ride I take (esp the longer ones) and, we have discussed getting some kind of coms set up.

We decided not to because, for us, one of the best parts of the ride is pointing things out without words and then sharing our impressions of the ride at the next "rest stop"

Just sayin'.

................. Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts