StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The September issue of Rider has the 650 as their feature bike! I put a picture of the cover below.
Great article that basically states that the 650 is the best bang for your buck going but we all know that anyway.
Another article called Swiss Army Bike compares the Versys to the Strom and of course the Strom won.

Check it out, it will make you feel pretty good about your selection of bike. The article also mentions the legions of Stromtroopers, pretty cool.

Attachments

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Very good article looks like the DL650 has a bright future. In the top if there was one bike to buy what would it be.

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Yea every time I start thinking about another bike I compare it to my 650.

Cheap to buy
Cheap to own
Minimal maintenance
Reliable to a fault
Gas tank capacity
Dirt road capable
etc.

It's hard to find a bike that checks all the V-Strom's boxes.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My brother and i compared bikes all the time. He had a Versys. While the Vstrom is an adventure bike, capable of handling all but the roughest gravel driveways the Versys wasn't particularly off0road worthy. He referred to it as a "tall sport bike". After a brief ride, I agree. The handling was sharper and it felt more agile but my wee cruised much better and rather than scream "go faster" in a corner, it says "I can handling anything you throw out, just don't be stupid". Its very comfortable and assuring. Obviously a lot of riders agree as it survives model changes with few changes. Some things are fine just the way they are.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I want to look for that issue of Rider magazine. I've never read that mag, but just subscribed online. If you happen to be an AMA member, you can log on to the AMA site and get a link ( under member discounts) for a decent subscription discount. I think it was $19.98 for 26 issues, instead of $15.00 for 12.

·
Registered
248 Posts
"I can handle anything you throw out, just don't be stupid"

+1

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
As I was coming back from my Sat. AM meal with the old bunch riders saw the local dealer had a demo truck set up in the lot with the new Suzuki bikes. Had not been in the shop in over a week so rolled in and told me could ride the new wire wheel 650 in eight minutes.As they got the paper work done one of the staff told them I rode a lot and the one out side had seen DeadHorse. They went out and looked it over and asked some guestions about the bike.
As usual they did not mind you hot rodding them some but did not get it up to 100mph like I do most times.Did see 90 once and it had more mid rage than my 011.It was the yellow with the color on the wire wheel rims that went nice with it.I stood up more than anyone in the bunch but they did not mind and asked me more about how I liked it after back.Think the staff telling them I rode a lot had more to do with asking a old 71 year old man more than usual amount of questions on return.
Fun ride and I like the new gauge lay out better than the 012 but still like the old school looking,twin round ones, 011 back better.They said it has more hp than any 650 strom has had. Really on drag race take off did not seem any faster than mine but at mid rage shifts at red line was better.Front wheel stayed down better than mine even with more power. Seemed it may be a wee bit lower than mine but could be seat not as wide at front?Can flat foot both but the new one seemed more on my 32 inseam. Really a nice ride.:grin2:

·
Registered
15,094 Posts
Of all the moto mags over the years, the only one I've continually subscribed to has been RIDER. The Editors have always kept the most conservative approach to the products. They aren't impressed with flash bang, gee wizz stuff.
They would ride them as the buyers do and report on that.
Of the 8 that were in contention, the one that best suits your needs would be MOTY. Nothing in the HD family would ever be on my want list.

·
Registered
307 Posts
May have been mentioned in another thread, but the Aug edition of Rider had an article about riding in KS, featuring a Strom. I did it on a GoldWing, but a Strom would work, too. It is still KS.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts