StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Florida motorcyclist was struck in the head by a lightning strike. Heading south on I-95, which is a main north to south highway., was wearing a helmet, not that it mattered. I always thought that we had some level of protection being on rubber wheels with feet off the ground.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Considering that the bolt can jump a mile from cloud to ground, a few inches from bike to ground isn't surprising. In a car it is the metal around you that protects you by giving a path for the bolt to the ground. Still I think golfing is riskier than riding a bike.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Motorcycles are awesome, but they make terrible Faraday cages. When I see lightning or hear thunder, I can't get off the bike fast enough, especially when I'm out west.

·
Administrator
13,814 Posts
Still I think golfing is riskier than riding a bike.
Especially since they are swinging lightning rods in the air!

..Tom

·
Registered
293 Posts
Motorcycles are awesome, but they make a terrible Faraday cage. If I hear thunder or see lightning, I can't get off the bike fast enough.
Motorcycle Faraday cage, I just got my next get rich quick scheme. It would be easy to build and just have to get some Nany state politicians to mandate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts