Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Vstrom riders, I have been looking over some sites that offers Different styles of
riding shoes and boots for motorcycle riders.

It would be nice to hear from some of the riders on the forum what kind of riding shoes or boots
they purchased for their bike and how they worked with the Adventure style of riding /off roading. :wink2:

1. High top boots
2. Sneaker style riding shoes
3. Sport bike riding shoes
4. Sport bike riding boots
5. hiking boots
6. Other

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
For me boots must be waterproof when on a long ride so I can do river crossings without fear of wet feet, I settled on Alpinestars toucan.

Then most times you need room to pack other footwear to get around in when you get to your destination.

I'm yet to find a boot that keeps my feet dry but still looks OK with my board shorts when on the dancefloor ... LoL

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
1st pair Vendramini Marathon Steele Boots($425) which finally started leaking after 8 years. But because they are still soooo comfortable I still wear them if weather is only sketchy. They are EN 13634 “Protective Footwear for Professional Motorcycle Riders” certified. Web World review Link: https://www.webbikeworld.com/vendramini-marathon-motorcycle-boots-review/

2nd pair Motorad Gravel Boots by BMW ($425) totally waterproof & comfortable but not as the Vendramini's. I now wish I had bought another pair of Vendramini's.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/bmw-motorcycles-gravel-boots-bmw-r1200gs-76228544287-76228548-130-139-p-698?osCsid=fo3fa1prc25p87aba1itk22dv0

Both boots are EN certified.

Also if you want motivation to buy serious protective motorcyle boots do yourself a favor and google 'Motorcycle foot injuries". You will find photos which will seriously motivate you. Seriously !!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING: Don't open this GRAPHIC link if you have a weak stomach.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Gnarly-foot-injury-Caution-Graphic-Image,1266294

Proper Motorcycle Boots is serious business as is all motorcycle gear.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes minimal is also out there for the consumer. I recently came from the cruiser crowd so I have a nice
pair of leather boots but more like Harley Rider style. My other riding shoes are currently Sketchers.
So you can see why I created this post. Of coarse price point is important However I'm not going to spend
$400 plus on shoes of any kind. But having the information is for all riders that read this post.
so thanks for your input.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Your choice. How much is your foot worth? Now you've seen what can happen. How much do you think an Emergency Room visit costs? Riding a motorcycle is serious business.

Example: I broke my collar bone into 5 pieces, in my driveway and the hospital billed me $52,000+ for a couple of XRays and 5 minutes time of a NEW doctor green behind the ears. No additional treatment by them. I just went home and waited for the collar bone to heal it self. 2 months later I was riding again.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wear Bates "Delta-8" side zip boots. They are basically a high-end combat/tactical boot. They are really comfortable and I could walk for miles in them over any terrain if I had to. They have good traction in a wide variety of conditions.
How much were these boots from Bates ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
How much were these boots from Bates ?
I have seen them online for $99 to about $130. I got mine on a closeout when a local motorcycle accessory shop decided to not be a Bates dealer anymore, so I paid less, but I don't remember.

I will caution that they are not"armored" like true motorcycle boots and with a side zipper, they can only be so water-resistant. But I like them. they are a lot better footgear off the bike than regular motorcycle boots are.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I ride 99.8% street, with the very rare packed gravel or dirt road. Even so, I wear pretty beefy boots: Sidi Adventure 2 Gore-Tex, which I jumped on at a great price after wearing Sidi Armadas previously.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had to vote other but it probably is not relevant. I would prefer a quality pair of riding boots but since I wear a size 12 EEEE (yup, count 'em, that is FOUR E's), I can't find any that fit. So, I have been wearing RedWing Boots.

8-inch Supersole 2

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Wear boots that protect your ankle and foot.

Consequently that means stiff to bend laterally and hard protection over the bone.
Boots with that level of protection are more expensive of course.

Don't select boots for riding with the goal of being able to walk around a lot. You want to get off and hike carry footwear to do that.

Proper boots should be #3 on the gear list. After your head and hands you're most likely to injure your ankle/foot. Once injured they are hard to bring back to 100%.

Spend money on appropriate gear. You'll never complain about having more protection then you needed in the event.

·
Registered
13 Posts
for me, the protection of feet is very important. actually, I ride my motorcycle with Alpinestar SMX6 V2 Goretex, but when I'll have my V-strom, I finish my boots and buy boots typed all terrains, with a lot of protections (malleolus, toe, shin etc ...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forma Adventure. Not completely stiff like a full MX boot but stiff enough. Also, decent for walking when you have to take a break. Also, I admit that I still wear my Palladium Leather boots sometimes. Not much protection but such a great riding boot...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Simple riding gear

Like most things in my life, the simpler the better...after all these years, I know how, where and when I like to ride. I have owned expensive boots, insulated riding suits ect. over the years, but now I wear jeans, bates tactical boots and reflective gloves from Walmart. If it's cool, I wear layers; long johns, rain pants and a Canadian air force sweater under my jacket. If I'm still cold, I stay home. Off road to me is riding on a graded gravel road, such as fire or logging roads. My true dirt bike days are behind me. The Bates tactical boots work great for me, they are comfortable for walking and riding. If they get wet, they dry quickly-no problem. I got over looking at ads and buying all the fancy gear long ago, I use what works for me. I'm not trying to impress other people with what I've got!

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
My EDC boots are a pair of Tour Masters. They're light enough to be able to wear them all day at the office without hassles. I also have an older pair of Aerostich's Combat Boots I have yet to completely break in . . .

Like so many others, my offroad riding tends to be the odd gravel road for a couple of miles . . .

·
Registered
466 Posts
My buddy has the Forma Adv boots and i have the TCX Drifter WP's. Both very comfy and have worked great for us. Both under $300 a pair.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Commuting I have Keen work shoes, offroad I've been wearing Keen hiking boots. Tried my 6 year old full MX riding boots and didnt like them on the strom.

I am getting more into Trials riding and less MX now being 46 so I just ordered a set of Forma Boulder Trials boots (narrowly chosen over the Gaernes shown a few post up) to use as trials and my off road adventure Vstrom boots.

Lighter and more flexable then full MX, but still better then my Keen hikers.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I'm enjoying the newly upgraded TCX Explorer EVO Gore-Tex Boots - very clever design features....I needed some waterproof commuter boots (with grippy soles), and these are perfect for that - and, they don't bake my feet like non-gore tex waterproofers will. Like putting on slippers, compared to my only other riding boot, Thor's 50/50 which have held up for 6-7 years, only recently wearing thru the toe shift protector.....Anyway, I like 'shorty' style boots.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts