StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Wasilla Alaska. I'd like to ride to Prudoe Bay this summer, but don't have any riding partners. Is there anyone who would be interested in a trip like this? Probably 5 or 6 days from here, camping.:yikes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
early July I am hoping to make this trip from Calgary Alberta. I am planning 3 weeks from Calgary to Dead Horse and back, Camping with the Eagles and Bears :)

I want to spend most of my time between Haines and Fairbanks. It would be great to have a travel buddy for the long ride up there. and someone I can ship tires to lol.

see if you can see my preliminary map for where I want to go

Alaska or Bust - Google Maps

that's just the main highways, no trail exploring though... still quite new in the planning stages. I was hoping for June 22-July 15 holidays.

just gotta make sure when you say 5-6 days that's return trip :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Deadhorse on July 2012 as well but I will be coming from... Europe. So as for now I am not sure of the exact plans and dates.

But I would for sure like to join you up there if it would be possible. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if we can synchronize.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm planning to make the trip from Pittsburgh to Denali this summer and am also in the prelim planning stage. I've been told by a friend who lives in Fairbanks that the probability of rain increases after mid-July.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am in the early route planning stage (read- I haven't decided the route yet or set the exact departure date) from Kansas City to Deadhorse and back. Probably 4 weeks, starting mid to late June. So Deadhorse would be toward first to 2nd week in July.
I also plan on camping most of the time.
Currently I have no riding partner.
I have never made a trip this long, so it will be an adventure. Hopefully I get to complete it to the end. I say this, because sometimes I get side tracked, and run out of time. This happened 5 years ago going to the Grand Canyon from Kansas City by the way of Yellow Stone national park.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You know how to tell black bear crap from grizzly crap?

The black bear crap has berries in it and the grizzly crap smells like pepper and has bells in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe we could put together a pretty good size group if we can get the timing right. We'll have one stretch of road that's 245 miles between gas stops, so we might want to carry an extra gallon to be safe. I guess the thing to do is just monitor this thread for a bit and see who all is interested, and then as we get closer to summer, get together online and firm things up.:thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did this trip back in 08 from eastern Pa. to prudoe bay. The haul road was great, 2 day's up and one back cause of rain on the way. My only advise would be not to go if rain is expected, wait till you have a couple nice days then go for it. We got lucky and went up the haul road over the July 4th weekend and had little to no truck traffic and nice weather, coming back to Fairbanks rain was coming so we did over 500 miles from 9:30 am to 2:30 am.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
We bombed it; 11.5 hours up (noon -> 11:30pm) and about the same back (11:30am->11pm).. includes a stop for 60-90 minutes' lunch @ Coldfoot.

On the way back to fairbanks, the rain hit just as we crossed the Yukon. Mud, thunder, lightening, rain, fun times.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My cousin and I are also heading that way. Meeting in Eugene Or. on July 5th. Heading through Idaho, then Montana and Canada to Alaska. Not sure of the exact timing to Prudhoe bay. It would be great to meet up with fellow stromtroppers along the way. Anyway ideas on starting a new thread for those of us heading north this July?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't think a Deadhorse run is in the cards for me this year, but I live in Anchorage, so if you're in need of a wing man for a day trip or two this summer, give me a shout.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm going NEXT summer,BUT I'm taking my GS850 WITH a sidecar..
LET IT RAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
i heard that bear crap joke about 100 times when I was up there. I still slept with my bear spray and talked lovingly too it every night. haha

getting a gun through canada was going to be such a hassle I didn't even try and bear spray is probably better than a stick. :green_lol:

·
Registered
485 Posts
i heard that bear crap joke about 100 times when I was up there. I still slept with my bear spray and talked lovingly too it every night. haha

getting a gun through canada was going to be such a hassle I didn't even try and bear spray is probably better than a stick. :green_lol:
ROFL! I'll bet you most of the people who told you that joke have carried bear spray from time to time themselves :fineprint: While I'd rather have my shotgun or even my .44Mag (in that order) when facing a grizzly, bear spray is better than nothing. Having said that, I've lived up here for 23 years, and despite spending lots of time hiking, hunting, camping, etc., do you know how many times I've actually had to face down a bear? Yep, zero. Not even once. Keeping a clean camp, paying attention to what's happening around you and making noise while hiking go a long ways to making either the bear spray or a gun unnecessary. I still took the .44Mag on the Denali Highway trip last summer, though :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deadhorse 2012

I'm heading up from S. Central MO on 6/23 :hurray:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Attempted this trip last year in late June. Started in Key West and just meandered that way. Rode all of the Transalaskan Highway. The road conditions through Canada were not bad at all with the worst of it being frost heaves that at times were unmarked. Talk about a fun ride.

For those of you looking for a staging area, look at the University of Alaska at Fairbanks. They rent empty dorm rooms to motorcycle riders for 30 bucks per night. This allowed me to strip all the excess weight off the bike for the Prudhoe attempt. Unfortunately, I turned back at the arctic circle with rain and horrible road conditions. My advice take the extra gas on the Haul road. I carried an extra 2 gallons. You can re-fuel at the Yukon river as well as Coldfoot. Don't miss the Hotspot for their great Moose burgers just North of the Yukon.

The Fairbanks Suzuki dealer was actually great to deal with. Tell them you are from out of town and you get priority service. Talking about a second attempt this year a little later in the season. I am thinking a more aggressive tire for the Top of the world highway and the Haul road. If you are riding through Canada don't miss the ride though Jasper and Bamf National parks. Awesome scenery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts