StromTrooper banner

Ride through Canadian Rockies

6K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  crispy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, All:

Planning a 2K ride through the Canadian Rockies for late summer.

Here is the proposed route: Edmonton Trip - Google Maps

It would be mostly a camping adventure. Any feedback or interest in riding along? Should be an easy ride in a week with perhaps a Hotel lay over in Edmonton.

I'm selling the Orangesicle I and new Orangesicle II will have been broke in and farkled by then.

#3 ·
Great feedback

This is feedback is exactly what I was seeking. :yesnod:

I'll update the route.

#4 ·
your route selection can be improved considerably if you like busy summer rides in traffic, by all means ride up thru the scenic Okanagan valley , but if you'd prefer to get away from all that , consider following Hwy 3 East from Osoyoos to Castlegar, then North on hwy 6 thru New Denver , up and over to Nakusp, then North again on 23 to Galena bay Ferry across arrow lake to the junction with Hwy1 at Revelstoke, then East on Hwy 1 to the Lake Louise/Banff area before going North to Jasper .. I live in Prince george, and scenery wise your route along 16 and south on 97 is a bit boring,, a better route is to follow 16 West to the Junction at Tete Jaune Cache , go south on 5 as far as Little fort , then West to 97 thru Lone Butte ,, then South,, when you get to the Clinton, Lilloet,Cache creek area there are a few routes you could check out if you're into back roads, check with them ADV guys .anyway keep going south thru the canyon and pick your road home, prob the quietest crossing going down is Sumas .. I hope you like my suggestions, Oh the Arrow lake to Kootenay Lake area is soooo nice you may want to reserch it a bit , I remember there is at least one campsite that actually prefers Motorcycle campers,,, good luck on the planning .

#5 ·
"consider following Hwy 3 East from Osoyoos to Castlegar, then North on hwy 6 thru New Denver , up and over to Nakusp, then North again on 23 to Galena bay Ferry across arrow lake to the junction with Hwy1 at Revelstoke,"

I've ridden through the kootenays the last two seasons and would very much suggest riding through all the way to Creston then up the east side of Kootenay Lake to the ferry, then turn north and stay at Toad Rock campground (they have a web site. google them). From there you are only a 15 min ride from Ainsworth Hotsprings (well worth stop). Continue north to Kaslo, New Denver (this stretch of road is some of the most best I have ever ridden, I try to ride this every year) and then north to the Galena bay ferry.

I agree on skipping the Calgary to Edmonton Route. Just boring and very busy divided hwy. Do the ice fields hwy and stay at the campground near the glacier if you wan to camp. If you a really nice but rustic lodge stay at the Num Ti Jah Lodge at the Bow lake Summit (expensive but they might negotiate on price. We managed to get one half price because they were only at half capacity).

Not really sure what the Prince George south end of you route is like on a bike as I have not been on that hwy for years but the Hwy 5 south from hwy 16 would be nice. Lots of good camping along the way as well. I know of few other good routes in the southern half of BC as well so if you are interested let me know. I have lived, worked and played all over that part of the province since my teens.

#7 ·
thanks Crispy

I'll be in the Kelowna area for a few days in early July and appreciate the routing tips.

#8 ·
The Prince George to Cache Creek route is good and drop dead scenic beauty to be seen from many locations along the way,

The Yellow Head hwy 16 Valemont to Prince George will also provide you with scenery and wildlife.

Check out all the secondaries mentioned through the posts that you can manage,

Calgary to Edmonton via the #2 is a freeway so forget it. There are tons of much more fun secondaries to make that journey if you need to,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

#9 · (Edited)
568V8 if you actually have to be in Kelowna, and want some rides that take a day or two , try hwy 33 East out of Kelowna then South thru Beaverdale and Rock creek at Hwy3, from there if you have to go back to Kelowna go West thru Osoyoos and Kereomeos to Princeton, then North thru Tulameen /otter lake North to connect with the connector road where you can drive back down to Kelowna or go West to Merritt ,, where you'll be tempted to ride West thru lower Nicola to Spences Bridge... the possibilities are endless and good quiet roads are everywhere . OH when I talk good roads I mean scenic with sweepy corners but not so twisty that you can't enjoy the scenery too.

#10 ·
I'm looking forward to fixing the proposed route map this weekend with all the suggestions.

Thanks much.

:thumbup:

#11 · (Edited)
Hey Orangesicle,

Heres a route that I planned out about four years ago http://g.co/maps/x6ca9
Just havnt been able to make it happen. I did get a chance to visit Glacier NP though a few years ago with my son in a cage so I can take that out of my original plan.

Here's a new one that will take seven days with plenty of time for sightseeing and added some of the suggestions from above posts.
Edmonds, WA 98026 to Edmonds, WA 98026 - Google Maps

Mabe this is the year:yesnod:

#12 ·
Sea to Sky! Yes!

I think you should include the road past Water Warrior's town of Squamish.

Highway 99 is a wonderful ride. Perhaps it is less fun since the southernmost part of it was "improved" to carry lots of traffic to Whistler during the Olypmics, but I reckon it is still worth riding.

Just ask Google to find the way from Vancouver to Pemberton to 100 Mile House, and you will see where I rode my new 2006 Wee-Strom. When I was there, there were several one-way-at-a-time bridges, all with signs telling me to yield to southbound traffic. There was none for me to yield to.

Just south of 100 Mile House, I met HAIL, on the day before summer started. I mentioned this to a local resident and she said that in the Cariboo I could expect four seasons of weather any day of the year. So be prepared.

You will enjoy your ride, and a lot of wish we could ride with you.
Keith

#14 ·
I think you should include the road past Water Warrior's town of Squamish.

Highway 99 is a wonderful ride. Perhaps it is less fun since the southernmost part of it was "improved" to carry lots of traffic to Whistler during the Olympics, but I reckon it is still worth riding.

Just ask Google to find the way from Vancouver to Pemberton to 100 Mile House, and you will see where I rode my new 2006 Wee-Strom. When I was there, there were several one-way-at-a-time bridges, all with signs telling me to yield to southbound traffic. There was none for me to yield to.

Just south of 100 Mile House, I met HAIL, on the day before summer started. I mentioned this to a local resident and she said that in the Cariboo I could expect four seasons of weather any day of the year. So be prepared.

You will enjoy your ride, and a lot of wish we could ride with you.
Keith

:thumbup: Hi Keith, I have been up that way myself and you are right, there is a lot beauty and very few people once you get past Lilloette and on your way up to Prince George,

For anyone thinking of riding the Canadian Rockies it is a super destination,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

#13 ·
hwy 99 is a super ride, the northern portion(Duffey Lake road) from Lilloet to Pemberton is one super duper twisty road, with a few patches of uneven pavement, it's twisty eneugh at both ends that you really have to be on your toes as some of the corners are very tight,, when going South on it you end up in North Vancouver, I have in the past avoided Vancouver and taken ferry from horshoe bay to vancouver island, then a person could do the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles,, of course theres always saving that route for another ride .

#30 ·
I *absolutely* recommend this. Duffey Lake Road from Pemberton to Lilloet (the direction I went) was my favorite road from my Alaska trip last year. The combination of scenery and roads and, no doubt, the particular mood I happened to be in that day... just PERFECT. :thumbup:

#15 ·
we're a lucky bunch here in BC/ Pacific north west, the trips we can take are endless,, we can visit places like Jasper New denver Merritt, Duffy lake, Missoula ,Republic, Salmon , Big Hole , Lowman ,Granite , Goldendale , Yakima ,Astoria , Klamath falls, etc etc etc , can't wait for summer and do some more .

#17 ·
Yes

Damn Crispy! I am awash in a sea of nostalgia for the 5 yrs I lived and rode in BC. I've ridden most of the routes mentioned and have fond memories of all of them. My best buddy and riding pard lived in Vancouver and me in PG. We'd meet in Cache Creek every Victoria day weekend and have a tear up. He was raised in the Okanagan and knew all the back roads. He's in Salmon Arm now, retired and winters in SoCal on his R1200RT. We both rode across the Pemberton Meadows with Phil Funnell from Boston Bar to Squamish in '78 back before anyone knew what an ADV bike was.

#16 ·
Crispy is right!

+1 on Icefields Parkway (93 from Jasper to Lake Louise, Kaslo to New Denver, etc.) I rode much of what Cripy described last summer with some friends. That road from Kaslo to New Denver was great. We continued to Nakusp, then down to Fauquier to take the ferry across. The route we took if you're curious: http://www.mtcsw.com/Content/BikeTripsImages/Canada2011/map_lg.jpg

#22 ·
Un huh

I left in '78 and came back for a visit in '82 on a borrowed bike heading for Prince Rupert. They tell me things have changed a bit since then. I hear the cable car at Boston Bar has been replaced by a bridge? It was a Follies Ride in '78 with Phil. 17 bikes started, 4 finished. Phill and another Beemer rider named Duncan I think and me and my buddy Don both on Yamaha SR500's. Phil is back in the saddle again after many years off bikes due to a debilitating injury.

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback.

Here is my new proposed route to take in as many of the ideas as possible.

Proposed WA-BC-AB Ride v2 - Google Maps

I'm thinking a Saturday to Saturday ride starting out either Aug 4th, 11th, 18th, or 25th.

What do you think?

#20 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

Here is my new proposed route to take in as many of the ideas as possible.

Proposed WA-BC-AB Ride v2 - Google Maps

I'm thinking a Saturday to Saturday ride starting out either Aug 4th, 11th, 18th, or 25th.

What do you think?
That's a ride, for sure. You won't be disappointed whichever way you go, but if you can squeeze it in, Nelson is worth a visit. A little east of there, the ride from Creston up to Kaslo is fine as well. Ainsworth hotsprings is a nice place for a bath. Probably, though, you'll just have to come back again another year with a different route to see it all. And then another year with knobbies to see even more.

I spend as much summer time as I can in the Cariboo (your route takes you along Hwy 24 from Little Fort to 100 Mile right past my cabin). If holidays coincide, drop by for a beverage. Not sure right now what my August holds.

#23 ·
Still looking for possible riders

I've heard via PM about a possible Stromtrooper from Portland.

Anyone else interested? Trying to lock in some vacation in Aug.

#25 ·
thanks for the helpl

I started to colour in with a marker all the recommended good roads in the Vancouver, Kelowna & Glacier park area on both side of the border. Now it seems like now my map is mostly all highlighted.
I'm going solo out and back to Vancouver from Ontario; my wife will fly instead. Our plan to stay in Kelowna and do day trips 2-up should be awesome.

#26 ·
Recommend Radium Hot Springs

Try to make it to Radium Hot Springs, in Radium, of course. It's a great place to soak after a day in the saddle. Scenery can be nice, too. There are a few campgrounds within a half hour of the Hot Springs, and lots of mid-priced motels. Best part, though, is the winding canyon road directly east of Radium (goes right by the Hot Springs). I did the whole Seattle to Jasper via Ice Field last summer, and the twisty bit through that canyon near Radium was the best twisties of the trip. Most bears, too.

#32 ·
Try to make it to Radium Hot Springs, in Radium, of course. It's a great place to soak after a day in the saddle. Scenery can be nice, too. There are a few campgrounds within a half hour of the Hot Springs, and lots of mid-priced motels. Best part, though, is the winding canyon road directly east of Radium (goes right by the Hot Springs). I did the whole Seattle to Jasper via Ice Field last summer, and the twisty bit through that canyon near Radium was the best twisties of the trip. Most bears, too.
While you're watching for bears, keep an eye open for moose as well. I almost died coming down that hill a few years back.

#28 ·
Still trying to figure out which week in August is best.

Suggestions?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S ll using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.