Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I wish but too many things keeping me from it this weekend. I am not certain at the moment if next weekend is open yet but am hopeful. What route would you propose?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey rpatton,
Thanks for the response. Next week I'm out of town unfortunately. Might be able the week after that. I didn't have any route planned. Thought maybe a ride around Rainier and through the park, or tag along if someone else had a better plan. Best, noolis

·
Registered
504 Posts
Was just through Rainier this last weekend on 4 wheels with family and all the roads are open there now. I wouldn't mind doing it on just two wheels, will keep checking this thread to see if a plan comes together.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is FR-25 open past the St. Helens (99) turn off now?
Don't know but have been thinking about giving it a try.

What are you doing on Thursday July 25th?

If you (OR ANYONE ELSE) is available to go explore that route on that day, when/where would you like to meet up to start the trip?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Don't know but have been thinking about giving it a try.

What are you doing on Thursday July 25th?

If you (OR ANYONE ELSE) is available to go explore that route on that day, when/where would you like to meet up to start the trip?
I'll be working. Just started a new job, so I don't have much PTO yet, and I really don't want to be missing any time just yet...except for that week in August where I am going away for a wedding.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll be working. Just started a new job, so I don't have much PTO yet, and I really don't want to be missing any time just yet...except for that week in August where I am going away for a wedding.
Well, I work Sunday through Wednesdays and like to avoid Saturday rides (but have done a couple). If no one take me up on a Thursday run I might do Saturday the 27th but it'll be a last minute decision if I do.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Saturday's ride

While I try to do my pleasure rides on weekdays I felt I needed some two wheel therapy because an evil ex is being extra special evil. The route was Redbean25's idea (I got it from him anyway) and here is what he said about it

"Both 25 and 99 are paved. They are typically a bit rough, but they are paved. There are frost heaves and potholes rather frequently...at least there was last year and the year prior. I don't remember seeing anything about them being repaved this year, so plan for that. It's about 2-2.5 hours to Windy Ridge (where 99 ends) from Graham area. So you could do it. You will just be home in the evening hours. If you go, enjoy the ride. I really enjoy that way of viewing St Helens. Much fewer tourists. Mostly just locals."

I have to concur, I did note that the road hugs the hill more on the trip up and so most of the sinking side of the road is on the downhill part of the trip. I even pinged the skid plate on one hole that caught me by surprise (sounded just like someone hit it with a hammer). I'd say the downhill road damage is about 3 times as bad as the uphill road damage so a good long break at the top turned out to be a good thing.

Here is how it looked at the top.

a peak-a-boo view of Mt Rainier over Spirit Lake

Too big to fit in a single picture

Mt St Helens without the v-strom decoration

And now some road pics, the angle on this one makes it look like it is going up hill, that is just operator error on the photographers part, it's really going down hill.

These only look straight because they are being viewed from the side

These next two mildly hint at the true nature of the road

Mount Adams (I think... sort of looks like Rainier so I may have gotten turned around by all the curves in the road) and I also think that Mt Hood down is Oregon is the other one that was visible to the south though I missed getting a still shot of it on this trip

This bridge looks relatively new and there were a few stretches of road that was in good repair but because I had not been up there before I can't really tell if it is any better or worse than last year or the year before.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Forgot to mention... a section of HWY 7 is currently closed and you have to take the back way from Eatonville to bypass it if you take 7 to get there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts