StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1
First up I would like to thank Brett (Brettstrom1) for organising this ride and inviting me along. 3 days of perfect riding weather (dry, not too hot and a bit of cloud cover), good company and plenty of laughs.
I met up with Steve (Farmerstrom) and Mark (green space ship) out along the Warialda road and we headed North towards Goondiwindi to meet up with Brett and Stu (RT liney). We were making good time so stopped at North Star for a stretch.

Arrived at Goondi around 12.30 and stopped at Maccas for a feed and coffee then went out the Caltex roadhouse to meet Brett and Stu.

We then headed West towards our overnight destination Nindigully. With Stu leading and Brett following 2nd, Brett decided to pull into Tallwood for a refreshment.

Stu eventually realised there was nobody following so decided to backtrack

After a drink and a stretch we hit the road to Nindi and arrived around 4.00. For those who havn't been to Nindigully it is a great old pub on the banks of the Balonne river. A favourite destination for the grey nomads with free camping along the river.

Time to relax

A couple pics inside the pub

The Nindi Gully fire engine

After a feed and a few beers we retired for the night in the bunkhouse. For $10 it is great value, hardly worth carting camping gear around, just have to put up with all the farting and snoring.

I can't claim credit for all of the photographs, some were stolen from Brett and Stu.
To be continued….

·
Registered
868 Posts
Day 1: The ride West.
Stu left GC about 6am running into some rain along the way he arrived at my place about 8:30am and we soon departed for the meeting point at Gundy. We rode the Urbenville to Legume road, once at Legume we turned left on the Mt Lindsay Hwy/road and headed for Wylie Creek Road this comprised of stretches of bitumen and gravel. Once at Wylie Creek road we turned right and rode gravel thru Maryland Station and came out just north of Stanthorpe.

Stu refuelled and we headed down the Hwy a short distance and turned left for the Texas exit once on the is road we headed west to the small town of Texas about an hour’s ride away. The roads so far were fast and enjoyable.
We stopped for a short break in Texas, we then headed towards Yetman and then onto Gundy about 20 kms out of Gundy my fuel light started to flash, we come in thru Boggabilla and headed north on the hwy to our meeting point on at the Caltex on Boundary Rd it was 1:04pm when Stu and I arrived.

We soon learnt that Ian, Steve and Mark were around the corner having a feed of the Maccas kind, then joined us shortly for the next leg of the trip to our overnight stay at Nindigully Pub about 2hrs west of Gundy.

The 5 bikes on the ride were 3 x Wee’s, 1 x Vee and a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 green in colour which thru the course of the 4 days was tagged with numerous/humorous names.

Heading west we arrived at Talwood about 1 hr later and pulled in for a break and an ale at the local milk bar, very quiet town Talwood. Soon after the troup of snap happy riders took some mementoes we were back heading west again. Arriving at Nindigully about 3:45pm we tracked down our accommodation manager had an ale or 2 and proceeded to the lodge of luxurious digs. We then parked the bikes in the security car park at the back of the lodge and unpacked our gear. We then decided we should check out the local watering hole and the surrounding buildings, we had a couple of ales and for dinner we jumped in the queue for a smorgasbord that was on offer for a charity event, more ales and tales. The 2 x events that weekend at Nindi pub was the Charity event and a wedding being held on Saturday. Later that night we listened to the music to a solo artist, who wasn’t to bad we all enjoyed the night specially the stories of the yowies.

Day 2: The ride to LR via St George and so on.

We awoke the next morning, with grumbles of stories about strange noises throughout the night. Some thought it to be the local wildlife, we knew it to be either the on set of old age and bodily noises or the alternative was a younger guy who may have had a few drinks the night before with a big feed. All was good we had a coffee and packed the gear and headed further west to St George for a more substantial breakfast. Along the way we rode past acres and acres of cotton fields and the large rectangle bales of cotton being pressed and loaded onto trucks, if you have never seen the cotton fields it is worth a look.

Made it to St George about 8:10am, found a small coffee/café to have breaky. The food was good, Stu ordered something and when it come out it looked nice however it’s colour was unusual and reminded us of something the Vulcan may have dropped at some point, either way Stu ate and enjoyed it. After this we headed North to E.J.Beardmore Dam about 15kms north of St George. This is worth the stop if you are in the area, they have a large grassed area for day trippers only, but I found that back on the road in (all bitumen) just after the first cattle grid you turn to the left and can camp down by the river. After more celebrity snaps we headed back into town to refuel and be on our way to Dirranbandi about 1hr away.

Arrived at Dirranbandi about 11:30am, had a look around more happy snaps more road trains with large cotton bales, more happy snaps. These area has a lot of history and that was evident of the old Train sidings and buildings as well as some old equipment like the old hand winch/crane, more happy snaps hey guys we better get going as we need to be in Hebel for a fabulous counter meal, well mention food and Mark who rode the Green Vulcan which he started to call Kermit hit the rode a head of us we only caught up to him as they were doing road works. (Just for the record I named the Green Vulcan – Miss Piggy’s Bitch)

We arrived at Hebel, a throbbing metropolis as you can see by the photos, pulled up at the pub tonguing for an ale and a counter meal. This is another town that has a lot of nostalgia and old artefacts and equipment worth a look. A sign in the pub says “beer and a look $4” “Just a look $6”. On the issue of counter meals I should have twigged when I read the slogan of the pub “cold beer hot pies”. Yes if you are there bar a Friday night the only meal is a pie, which was pretty good with a cold ale. The locals also have a good sense of humour on the side gate is a sign saying ‘’trespassers please leave your blood type and next of kin contact numbers.’’ The publican is a joy to chat with as we found out, more happy snaps and on our way towards Lightning ridge where we would bed down for the night. At this point leaving Hebel we were not aware what was awaiting us in LR.

A recommendation from Mark for everyone not just us but all other riders, can we please visit Angledool, we can stop for Maccas and more happy snaps. Well do not trust the travelling advice of a Man on a green Vulcan. You ask what is at Angledool, well I will leave you in anticipation and allow you to experience Angledool for yourself and then you can find mark and thank him, we did.

Onto to LR and if you have never been here, the signs and colours and the locals will astound you. The hot baths were ok ay 40 degree a little hot the accommodation at the Opal Caravan Park was good and the owners were very friendly only to happy to assist wherever they can.
Ok we were settled and gear unpacked and mixing with the in crowd at the hot baths, time to have a ale or 2. Lets go to the Bowls club, lets ring for the bus, not a problem said the driver to the unsuspecting 5 men that climbed aboard. Arrived at the Bowlo a good sized club for the size of the town, also here that night they was another Charity Rally also so we found out a number of Harley riders were in town overnight, nothing big to see there just thought I would mention that.

A few beers and we were scoping the place, noticeably was the ratio of women to men, I will let you ponder on that won as well, if you ever visit I am sure you will be surprised as we were what a fantastic night, oh wait on I haven’t finished. So another few drinks were consumed, I haven’t mentioned an ale here as by this time LR warranted spirits and not of the spooky kind although I was sure they were here as well everything else looked freaky. Being classy Strom riders we dined in the restaurant and not the cafeteria. Anyhow enough about the meal.

Back into the entertainment lounge and I mean entertainment a few more ales and spirits consumed and I heard a muffled noise from my right side, ’I n goin to sing a song’”. That was Stu after a couple of drinks that he said he wasn’t going to have, sure enough he bolted for the stage, I cant remember the first song he massacred, sorry sung but he managed to get parts of the Strom in there somewhere, the local didn’t know what was going on but our table had a good laugh GO Stu.

Anyhow by popular demand, Stu got back up another 2 times. The popular demand part was Stu telling himself oh and us how good he sounded and he should let LR locals know it. Later that night a raffle was drawn and I tell you from experience and only those who were there would know never look into the cross eyed man selling you the tickets he was a bit creepy or he may have though I was creepy as I had my money out and he looked at me (or he may have been looking at Stu) and walked away after selling tickets to the rest of the table.

For the record and what happens on a trip stays on a trip - Stu had a few admirers that night and Stu it wasn’t the girl in the red dress it was her rather manly somewhat feminine companion. Anyhow next time you are on a ride with Stu, please ask him what he picked after winning one of the raffles from my sources he had a fair bit of quality top notch gear to choose from. Please ask him. Anyhow enough was enough after sitting in the entertainment bar and watching the wildlife locals embarrass themselves and maybe one of our own no names will be mentioned in this report we left on the LR Bowlo bus and took in the scenic route back to the CP. I will endeavour to write about the remaining 2 days of the trip in the next couple of days. So far it has been a good ride and great bunch of fellow riders with a great sense of humour and definitely a sense of adventure in a strange freaky way.

I lost count of how many times Stu was lead rider or was board with the speed we were doing and he managed to overtake us on a number of occassions just before we were either turning of and heading in another direction or we were going to stop for a break, he did do a lot more K's than us.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
More photos of Day 1 & 2

More photos from day 1 and 2

Dam at st George, old Train station building at Dirranbandi, Old crane and road trains with cotton bales.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
More photos of Day 1 & 2

And some more

View of the Hebel pub, inside Hebel pub, and signs down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
a couple more

A couple more

General store at Hebel, Lightning Ridge motel sculpture, accommodation at LR, old fellas inside, young fit fellas outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
More

More photos to come and the remainder of the ride report for days 3 & 4.

real bikes at LR and the old peoples retirement home communal spar bath, if you look hard enough you may find a strom rider who is now retired from the air force, lok for the bloke with a solar panel of the top of his head.

Thanks to the boys who came along it was as great ride and some great laughs even at the expense of others. As usual we all had a good chat about each of the motor bikes oh and the Vulcan, sorry Mark - no I am not cheers mate.

I must say before I left I fitted new Shinkos and I was very happy with them on the trip. Stay tuned for days 3 and 4.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks Brett!

Brett,

You have well and truly dropped me in it here Iam sure. I bet I will be forever asked about my beautiful prize in the LR raffle.

"Notice to all who ask me"

I will NOT be sharing this information with anyone online, you will have to ask me in person ha ha. Or you might just see my lovely prize come out after a particularly hot and sweaty ride.

Anyway. The trip.

Well what a great trip I had, 4 days of almost perfect weather except for a few wet hours and quite a few hot ones. Never having been so far west before I couldnt get over how long, straight and flat some of the roads were out there. Also, I had never seen a roadtrain before so I was pretty impressed with how big they are, and how much wind/dust/rocks they generate when they come past you at 130km/h (my speed). I quickly learned that it pays to flip your visor down before they get to you.

We did some awesome roads around north NSW heading to and from the Stanthorpe direction, Brett was no match for me on the gravel, but he was highly pleased with his new tyres, well done mate. It was good to meet up with the rest of the (late) boys at Goondiwindi, at least it gave the local servo chefs the time to get the lunch orders right. ($16 for beef - I meant pork roll and chips........oh sorry you said chips??)

After Goondiwindi the roads started to get longer and straighter and the trucks got bigger and bigger. We had a good quick beer stop at Talwood and we started to get to know each other.

I was relieved when we finnaly reached our destination at Nindi for the night, more beers, music and good yarns. I was dead tired as I had been riding for nearly ten hours and hit the sack around 10pm??? Didnt even hear the old boys sneeak into their bunks.

Next morning we had a good run to St George where we enjoyed our brekky, even if mine was a little "off colour". Went down well, I must say.

Steve - Ilhave you know I am WELL house trained..........I did NOT cause the blockage in the toilet.

Also - I think you blokes might have just a slight caffeine addiction.

So we went to the dam and enjoyed the "perfume" - maggot ridden fish lying on the track directly below the dam wall.

Next was Dirranbandi and then onto Hebel. Dirran wasnt a bad little town, lots of road trains.

Hebel - a pub and a general store. "look out for the traffic boys" as we were taking pics of the pub. Some of us enjoyed a nicw warm pie, Steve had a nice hot pie on the edges, and a nice icy one in the middle. The publican made me very aware that 'I dont ride around these parts very oten' - when I mentioned that I took both hands off the bars to take photos.

Cheers for taking us to the thriving metropolis of Angledool Mark. Heaps to see there. The rest of us missed out on seeing the David Jones, Myers, Maccas and the motorbike mega store that was "just over the hill 1km away". Oh well.

So finally onto Lightning Ridge (LR). The artesian baths were way too hot for me - only lasted 5 mins. Luckily for us the pool was full of oldies to enjoy our swim with us.

So I set up my tent and Brett set up his little swag, plenty of 'supervisors' to 'manage' us. No help there.........bloody yuppies with aircon.

The bowls club. I am sure that LR is a haven for Russian war criminals and ex Soviet era mob bosses. Best call of the weekend goes to Brett 'these people look like theyre made from the spare parts bin'.......very true mate.

I sang 3 songs with the totally hot Kiwi chick backing me up - I sang Rod Stewart and finished up a classic CCR track, cant remember the middle one. For some reason the locals werent up to having a go, I must have put them all to shame.

Lucky for us there was a raffle on and I won my choice of 1 of 2 'great' prizes.

Notice to all strommers - I did not receive any unwanted attention form ANYONE that night. Not even the blonde girl in the pink dress.

So I woke up slightly worse for wear the next morning and luckily there was a farmers market on so we could get some 'bloody' onions on our burgers.

We then rode to walgett for a drinks/coffee stop for the caffeine addicts ad headed onto Burren Junction to see the "Husband Day Care Centre" which unfortunately wasnt open. We then went through Wee Waa and got a couple more drinks.

Im pretty sure we passed through Narrabri on our way to Ian's place where he provided us with a pool to swim in and a spa to relax in. Then we had a great roast dinner put on for us cooked by his lovely wife - Thankyou very much Ian for having us and putting on a great feed, your hospitality was second to none.

Next morning it was time for me and Brett to head home, we passed through Inverell where we dined on maccas and headed up through to Emmaville on some good gravel roads and got to Deepwater where we feulled up and went onto Tenterfield. We then went and headed towards Urbenville where Brett lives and said our goodbyes there.

After that I had to start heading towards the GC and I went via the Mt Lindsay Highway which was a totally awesome run, I scraped my pegs on those twisty corners more than once :thumbup:

I finally reached home via Beaudesert where I got a burger and finally made it safely home around 3:45pm.

Brett - thank you very much for organising the trip and being a great riding companion.

Ian - Thanks again for having us and providing the cold beers.

Cheers Steve and Mark for coming along and being top blokes.

Lets do it again sometime!!

Stu

(sorry if I have messed up the order of the locations we went to, I have checked the map so I think Im right)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 2

This might be starting to double up a bit so I will put in plenty of pics.
Up bright and early for another glorious Queensland day. Here are a few shots of the beer garden taken shortly before they started rearranging the furniture in preparation for the wedding to be held later in the day.

After a cup of instant coffee for a kick start we loaded the bikes and headed for St George for breakfast. Down a side street we found a café open which made a surprisingly good brekky and also a decent cup of coffee.

A pic of Stu’s very green breaky wrap

After breakfast we went for a wander along the river and came across this well known Queenslander’s office

Back on the bikes we headed out the road to have a look at Beardmore Dam

Plenty of green grass about would make it ideal overnight camp site however there are plenty of signs around stating NO CAMPING

Back on the bikes and headed for Dirranbandi

A two trailer road train of round cotton bales

And a three trailer grain road train going in the other direction

Next stop the Hebel Pub for a pie and beer

Who said you can’t get fuel in Hebel? I think this might be where Steve filled the Vee.

Angeldool

And we finally made it to the Ridge

Steve, Mark and I checked into a cabin

And we finished up with a couple of squatters on our verandah

After a quick dip in the hot bath

We were well and truly looking for a beer so caught a bus to the Bowlo. After a few beers and a feed we settled down to watch the nights entertainment. After a few scotches Stu overcame his initial shyness and got into a bit of karaoke to entertain the locals. (not a great photo but you get the picture)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Outstanding guys :thumbup::thumbup:
This is what riding with your mates is all about to me, great company, great riding, and one hell of a GREAT TIME!!

Thanks very much for sharing!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Day 3 & 4

Day 3, the return leg:

Up early and packed gear, rode back into LR town to find some breaky, no luck until we stumbled across a market so we ended up donating some funds to thr RFDS for a coffee and a bacon and egg roll. We said our goodbys to LR and headed south towards Walgett which was about 75kms away, we poked along steady and soon was looking for a coffe in Walgett and found the only thing open on a sunday wa the roadhouse at the far end of town.

Back on the road and headed towards Burren Junction, the road between Walgett and Burren was quiet good some parts reminded me of the Hay Plains it was so flat and the sky meet the ground, tried to get sonme good photos. Anyhow the group I think were in a frenzy to head towards home as for the Bingara boys it was their last day where Stu and I had another day up our sleves.

Arrived at Burren Junction and thought a cold drink would be the go so at this stage Ian was leading took us for a siteseeing tour of BJ, that took about 1.5 minutes and we ended up back out on the main Hwy in front of the pub. The BJ pub has signs saying it is open 7 days, as we tugged at the doors it became evident that we must have arrived on the 8th day as the the bloody thing was closed.

They do have a god sign out the front as posted earlier. Anyhow after a breather we were onto Wee Waa, we stopped here for a drink and a chat and then decided to head out to the Austrailan Telescope Centre, good long straight rodes to keep the tyres square. Took some happy snaps and headed towards Narrabri. By this time I think Steve on the Vee was sick of the company so he made an excuss that his bike wouldn't start after we refuelled in Narrabri. So we decided to head to Maccas for a feed and return to check on Steve, as we finished our feed Steve rode past Maccas smiling and enjoying himself so much he forgot to stop and continued on towards home (Bingara) solo.

After we left Maccas heading towards our 5 star accommodation for the night just the otherside of Bingara (not a liberty to disclose the exact location) we stopped at Sawn Rocks which had just reopend was a bit of a hike in but is worth the look. Back on the bikes and Ian let Stu back out in front again, we know what happens when Stu is in front, both Ian and I rode to Bingara together and that is where we caught upto Stu, thru town and onto the accommodation.

The Matre D meet us at the front of the main accommodation building and we proceed to unpack and were given a tour of the facilities and the services avaialble to us. We decided to hit the olympic size swimming pool to wash off the dust and unwind a bit. The Butler bought some Crown lagers out which went down real well. A little while later with the sun setting and the cool air we then moved into the confins of the main building and into the spar as per the photos shown. Doin it hard on an adventure ride. Another few ales were consumed and we then took a look at the photos each of us had taken. We were then called to the main dining table and sat down with the other guests and enjoyd a great roast with desert and a good bottle of red. After some chatter with the other guests time for bed as Stu and I had another day of riding and the weather didn't look to good.

We were advised that Steve and his bike made it home safley, he paulled the tank off and found a help of crap and a very dirty filter. Next time Steve before a long ride Vaccum out your fuel tank. Cheers

Day 4 The final run for home:

We awoke to a wet day and it did rain all night, quick coffee said goodbye to all who we meet the night before and we headed for Delungra, then onto Inverell for Maccas breaky. Wev then headed towards Glen Innes and turend left about 10km out of GI and headed towards Emmaville, great roads part way dirt with some fast bitumen and great scenery along the way. After a short break in Emmaville Stu and I headed for Deepwater to refuel and grab a drink. Soon after back on the HWY to Tenterfield this strecth we ran into rain, north end of Tenterfield we turned right and headed towards Woodenbong some good dirt and parts of Bitumen again. We arrived just outside of Woodenbong and that is where I left Stu and turned right and headed for home all dirt for a few km's.

I would again like to thank the boys who came along and made the trip just that more interesting. I have another in mind as we discussed on this trip, just need to coordinate the time and finances.

:thumbup:Thank you to the families we meet along the way and their hospitality.:hurray:

p.s sorry it took me so long to post these 2 days. My boys wanted me to take them out to Nindigully camping overnight so we left Wednesday morning and have just returned. It is a bit to travel for one day, but the time with the kids is worth the effort.

Cheers

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Last lot of photos

More form Day 3 and 4

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
What is Stu Holding

:confused:Stu can you please explain to the members of the forum, exactly what you are holding in this photo.
:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol::green_lol::green_lol::green_lol::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Day 3, the return leg:

We were advised that Steve and his bike made it home safely, he pulled the tank off and found a help of crap and a very dirty filter. Next time Steve before a long ride Vacuum out your fuel tank. Cheers
Pretty hard to stick a vacuum hose in there! Yes this is a problem for me 4 times in 12 months and 2 times in the last 2 months, absolutely sick of crap fuel! Also have modified the Vee to an external filter quite a while back - seems the problem is the large pieces of rust and congealed muck of rust/fuel and water that sit in the fuel pump sump and in and around the strainer. Have ordered a new strainer to put in and I'll use the old one a spare (genuine suzuki ex Aust for an 03 Vee $102, newer models are cheaper work that out, nearly the same bloody thing) must be the most expensive and over rated part on the vee. Caution, soapy water doesn't clean this strainer properly either needs a good dose of carby cleaner and copious squirts from the air compressor.

Thanks for the weekend guys much appreciated.

FS

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 3, the return leg:

as we finished our feed Steve rode past Maccas smiling and enjoying himself so much he forgot to stop and continued on towards home (Bingara) solo.

p.s sorry it took me so long to post these 2 days. My boys wanted me to take them out to Nindigully camping overnight so we left Wednesday morning and have just returned. It is a bit to travel for one day, but the time with the kids is worth the effort.

Cheers

Brett
Steve may have had a smile on his face but the big Vee sounded like it was running rougher than a Harley.:jawdrop:

How did your young bloke go with the burger? Did you come home with a Heinekin keg?

Ian

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Day 3

Here are a few more pics.

A coffee stop at the Walgett Roadhouse out on the Coonamble road

A couple of pics around Burren Junction. We even saw the train go through while we were stopped.

A stop at the Radio Telescopes between Wee Waa and Narrabri. There are 5 in total.

And lastly a stop at the at Sawn Rocks area between Narrabri and Bingara. It was closed when the gathering was on last month while they were building a new path. Reopened in time for Easter.

Once again a great weekend away, it is always good to get away for a few days and being able to travel with a couple of mates makes it all the better.
Cheers
Ian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts