Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After riding dirt bikes for 15 years, I bought my first street bike, a 650K8 in January. Being in the snowy Rockies, I spent a few months farkling it out, and finally got on my first ever multi-day motorcycle trip in early April. Two weeks ago I returned from a 5 day, 1910 mile ride to break in my new bike. Had a few key waypoints, but the schedule and plan was 100% flexible, which was something I've never done before. Only returned home because of the impending blizzard. Had a bunch of fun, saw some amazing nature, and met some cool people.

Days 1-2:
Rode from Castle Rock, CO to Needles district of Canyonlands, camped near Newspaper Rock, and then rode through Blanding to Natural Bridges National Park. Went for a few short hikes, and then proceeded through Fry Canyon to Torrey.

This made setting up the tent after sunset a little less frustrating.

Campground was full so I squeezed in between some folks.

Newspaper Rock
Lots of olden day (AD. 000-700) writing telling everyone what was going on. Pretty much facebook from 2000 years ago.

Owachomo Bridge at Natural Bridges National Park

Fry Canyon, between Natural Bridges and Hanksville, UT.

Bridge over the Colorado at Hite, the northernmost tip of Lake Powell.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Days 2-3: Capitol Reef, Escalante Grand Staircase, Bryce Canyon

Woke up in Torrey, rode through Capitol Reef NP on the Notom-Bullfrog road to the Burr Trail, which heads to Boulder and into Escalante Grand Staircase NP. Hit scenic hwy 12 to Bryce Canyon. Ended up sleeping in Page, AZ.

The folds of Capitol Reef. I took a back road from Fruita to Boulder (Utah!).

Leaving Fruita on the Notom road. It shortly turned to dirt/sand.

Entering the park via the back way.

Some passers by took my photo!

Turning from Notom-Bullfrog Rd to Burr Trail.

Top of the Burr Trail Switchbacks looking back into the valley I came in on.

Entering Escalante.

Hoodoos!

View from Rainbow Point, the end of Bryce Canyon National Park.

Got hailed on for about 15 min. EMBRACE THE SUCK.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day 4-5: Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods

Spent 3 hours toddling around Monument Valley, rode to Mexican Hat to see the Moki Dugway, the Mexican Hat rock, Valley of the Gods, and ended up camping at the most amazing Muley Point. Met a new friend from Tacoma on a '14 DL1000.

Coming down into Monument Valley.

Heading towards the Moki Dugway outside of Mexican Hat.

Steve was coming out of Valley of the Gods when I was examining the maps. We eventually decided to go grab food/beer. While eating, we met this lady who told us about Muley Point, where we decided to camp.

Muley Point with Monument Valley in the background

Morning

Steve riding the slickrock from the campsite back to the road.

Valley of the Gods

I elected not to give the Navajos another $5 to go to the mis-located monument of the Four Corners. Did a Griswold drive-by instead.

Ended up high-tailing it back to Castle Rock via the Million Dollar Highway before the 2 feet of snow arrived.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a .gpx track of my ride for every mile except the 9 mile loop around Natural Bridges National Park. If anyone would like it, I can email it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What an awesome trip and fantastic photos. I'll be in the same area in a little over a month.
I'd love to have the track, thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What an awesome trip and fantastic photos. I'll be in the same area in a little over a month.
I'd love to have the track, thanks
Email sent. Enjoy it!

One tip about Monument Valley: The gate attendant told me they did not allow motorcycles down in the valley as they get stuck in the 'soft sand'. IGNORE THIS and ride anywhere other park visitors' cars can go. The warning is for low slung cruisers and people that can't ride dirt. I had no problems on my loaded Wee.

Also, if you do enter Monument Valley, you could skip Valley of the Gods. It is a neat dirt ride, but not as spectacular. Conversely, if you don't want to shell $10 to enter Monument Valley, you could go through Valley of the Gods and get 80% of the awesomeness, minus the Navajos selling jewelry/pottery along the way.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Thanks for the report. Love that area.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great report and photos! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts