StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day everyone. As some of you guys here are aware, I recently took a little road trip on my Strom from the Gold Coast in Queensland, down to Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. I enlisted the help of some of you in putting together a route (thanks so much for the help) and some of you kept track of my journey along the way via my YouTube videos and Facebook updates.

But here now is a ride report of the entire trip all in one place. http://www.squidoo.com/motorcycle_road_trip

For photos of this trip, you can check out my Facebook album here: (No need to have a FB account to view)
Easter 2103 Road Trip | Facebook

For videos of my trip, you can check out my YouTube playlist here: Gold Coast To Melbourne Road Trip Day 1 - YouTube

Now to start planning the next trip......... :hurray:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Your trip

Great ride report and pics, thanks for sharing. The rain has gone here in Northern NSW and the cold weather has replaced the rain. Currently great riding weather.

cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great ride report and pics, thanks for sharing. The rain has gone here in Northern NSW and the cold weather has replaced the rain. Currently great riding weather.

cheers
No worries mate. Yeah, I am glad to see a bit of sunshine here in the old Sunshine State too of late. I am looking forward to a great riding season coming up after yet another long wet and frustrating summer!

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Great report and thanks for sharing.:hurray:

Inspirational trip, makes me want to get on the Strom and do the same ride.
Your onboard vids are great as well, inspired me to get a helmet camera asap as it is good to capture events in motion.

Ended up getting the Contour +2 though, but they are pretty much the same these days :thumbup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great report and thanks for sharing.:hurray:

Inspirational trip, makes me want to get on the Strom and do the same ride.
Your onboard vids are great as well, inspired me to get a helmet camera asap as it is good to capture events in motion.

Ended up getting the Contour +2 though, but they are pretty much the same these days :thumbup:
Glad you enjoyed my trip. I enjoyed getting feedback such as yours along the way and inspiring others to get out there is a big part of why I like to film and share my rides. We have such a great country, it just needs to be explored! :thumbup:

The Contour looks pretty good. I have never come across anyone using one though, most have A GoPro or Drift, but the Contour looks a lot easier to use whilst riding with the sliding switch. Easy to use with gloves. :hurray:

Off to check out your vids now! :yesnod:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I left Bathurst planning to head to Oberon for the night. I would have arrived before 6pm which I was happy about. So I knew Oberon was on the road to Goulburn and I had seen signs pointing towards Goulburn, so I followed them out of town. Unfortunately, I was on the wrong Goulburn road, (the more remote one it turned out) which was fine initially as the roads were good and I figured that I could maybe make it to Goulburn before dark once I realised my error.
It is a bit of a trap that road. I did a similar trip a couple of weeks before you and was caught out in the same way. A mate I was travelling with who was riding a Vulcan 900 stuffed a tyre the day before hitting a pot hole not far from Rylstone where we stayed for the night. We made it into Bathurst the next morning and did the rounds of the bike shops looking for a new tyre.
After loosing a couple hours we headed off to Goulburn intending to make it to Jindabyne for the night. We headed off really enjoying the first 80kms of that road, heaps of sweeping bends, and then we ran into the gravel. We dug out the map and that was when we realised we were on the wrong road. The old Hema atlas I have showed about 30kms of Gravel and my mate on the cruiser wasn't very impressed. We decided to turn around and go down to Abercrombie caves and enquire about the road. The Ranger imformed us there was only about 10kms of gravel left and it is in short sections with the worst of it having been sealed. We pushed on and made it to Cooma for the night.
A very good write up Mr Aus Adventure, I have been waiting for a few wet days to do a bit of a report about our trip, but it has been a dry month.
Cheers Ian

·
Registered
808 Posts
Excellent reading Mr Aus

I hope you do make it to Lions Rd so we can chat about the trips....guess what, Oneoff, H-Man, Redhot and myself left Bathurst racetrack on our way to Tassie, and headed to Jindabyne via Oberon; we missed it also. We were all flashing empty and on a gravel road, lost. We eventually came in to Tuena...fuel! Someone is moving Oberon around and having a bloody good laugh at us Stroms trying to find it.

As BrettStrom says the weather in SE Qld now is awesome. We did a 150km coffee run today. And fancy spending the night with another Strom rider at Coryong, nights like those make a trip.

5000+ kms - well done. I am now going to check out your images....thanks

Trevor

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a bit of a trap that road. I did a similar trip a couple of weeks before you and was caught out in the same way. A mate I was travelling with who was riding a Vulcan 900 stuffed a tyre the day before hitting a pot hole not far from Rylstone where we stayed for the night. We made it into Bathurst the next morning and did the rounds of the bike shops looking for a new tyre.
After loosing a couple hours we headed off to Goulburn intending to make it to Jindabyne for the night. We headed off really enjoying the first 80kms of that road, heaps of sweeping bends, and then we ran into the gravel. We dug out the map and that was when we realised we were on the wrong road. The old Hema atlas I have showed about 30kms of Gravel and my mate on the cruiser wasn't very impressed. We decided to turn around and go down to Abercrombie caves and enquire about the road. The Ranger imformed us there was only about 10kms of gravel left and it is in short sections with the worst of it having been sealed. We pushed on and made it to Cooma for the night.
A very good write up Mr Aus Adventure, I have been waiting for a few wet days to do a bit of a report about our trip, but it has been a dry month.
Cheers Ian
Thanks Ian. Great to hear your story about that road too. It seems it is a bit of a trap and I can definitely imagine your mate on the cruiser not enjoying it! The Strom handled it easily, even on road tyres, but the fact that it was getting dark fast, I was in roo country and I was alone had me worried. And the 4x4's coming the other way at rapid speeds were a pain! :furious:

I thought about stopping at the caves to get road info but as it was after 6pm, I figured that there would be no one there. I nearly stopped the night at one of those small towns, but the people out front drinking beers reminded my of Deliverance they way that they were all staring at me so I kept going! :yikes::green_lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope you do make it to Lions Rd so we can chat about the trips....guess what, Oneoff, H-Man, Redhot and myself left Bathurst racetrack on our way to Tassie, and headed to Jindabyne via Oberon; we missed it also. We were all flashing empty and on a gravel road, lost. We eventually came in to Tuena...fuel! Someone is moving Oberon around and having a bloody good laugh at us Stroms trying to find it.

As BrettStrom says the weather in SE Qld now is awesome. We did a 150km coffee run today. And fancy spending the night with another Strom rider at Coryong, nights like those make a trip.

5000+ kms - well done. I am now going to check out your images....thanks

Trevor
Thanks Trevor, I realised the other day that I will not be able to make Lions Road for the whole weekend as I am booked on Sunday, but I might be able to ride out with you guys on the Saturday, hang out for a few hours and then ride home. But yeah, definitely looking forward to sharing ride tales with others for sure.

It was so good doing that in Corryong on the trip, as you say, nights like that make the trip. I intended on getting the guy's number the next morning but I slept in and missed him, I told him about this site though so hopefully he will show up here one day and read my ride report! :thumbup:

I think that Oberon is definitely being moved just to deceive us all. Makes for a good adventure though and I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has made that mistake! I feel so much better about it now knowing that you guys did it as well! :hurray:

I was nearly going to stop in Tuena but the looks the locals gave me as I passed were unnerving so I rode on thinking I would stop in Binda, but got the same feeling there as well so continued on to Crookwell as that was not much further and the road had clearly improved by then.

Let me know meeting places and times etc for your ride out to Lions Road and I will see if I can tag along.

Cheers.

Bill :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts