StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. My V-Strom adventured started three years ago with a used DL-650 that had just under 30,000 miles on the clock. The bike now has just over 60,000 and has run perfectly for every one of those 30k - what a machine.

Last August I completed my "final" cross country drive moving the bike home to DC from Arizona. Unfortunately (or fortunately) as summer rolls around I will have to travel back west for a family trip and a wedding. As I was preparing to book flights I realized that even with oil, chain, sprockets, and tires, I can probably take the bike for a hair less money than booking flights. In exchange I get to ride the blue ridge parkway, all around Colorado and Utah, through Yellowstone, and then back through the Dakotas to the east coast.

I am starting medical school in August so this will be the last time (for many years at least) that I have the free time for this kind of trip. What do you guys think? I really want to take the bike, but I do not want to blow up the engine. All told it will be at least 6,000 miles, probably meaning the bike will end August with over 70,000. Should I fly and save those miles for study breaks during med school? Or should I push the bike and see just how far it will take me? If I had at least 75% confidence that the bike would make it to roughly 100,000 miles I would take it without question. So worded differently: will a standard DL-650 ridden hard but well maintained and showing no problems through 60,000 miles make it to 100,000 miles without needing a rebuild?

I can't believe I am even asking the question, but boy it is fun to ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure what you are worried about as far as the bike is concerned. If it has been well maintained and is in good working condition, it should go well over 100K...I say ride it and have a blast before you have to buckle down to school.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I rode a similar route, around 6200 miles on my 650 last summer. Only maintenance I did consisted of:
1) Changed chain and sprockets, and oil and filter before leaving home.
2) Replaced both tires before leaving home.
3) at about the half-way point (3000 miles), I changed the oil and filter again.

Absolutely no problems with the bike, and although heavily loaded with rider and gear (I was camping), I averaged a little better than 48 mpg. Bike has around 53k miles on it now.
I'd trust a Vstrom 650 to take me anywhere, and get me back. They're tough!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree , no problem , just ride and enjoy it , stop worrying

·
Registered
46 Posts
A Slightly Different Perspective

Who cares if the bike blows up? It's always a risk - no matter what the mileage. But, as you say, this will be your last opportunity for many years. You can always get another vehicle more easily than you can get another chance like this, right? Go for it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would tend to fly, but I'm 60yo. If your not familiar with long distance riding and don't know what to expect it will work against you. Can you do 10 hr days in the saddle??? I feel your dilemma. You may regret not doing it later while your busting it in school. Been there. I took a long arduous trip to "The Dragon" last summer with my son. It was long, hot and rainy. Funny, I only remember the good things and laugh at the not so good things. Good memories can float you while your not having fun in school.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Just do it. I took a 4 week, 8000 mile cross country ride with some friends when I was 18 and single. I'm glad I did it then because once the "responsible" life officially starts long trips are nearly impossible to squeeze in until retirement, if that ever happens. That trip was an experience I will never forget.

·
Registered
298 Posts
just ride it, it will be ok. I just went from Jacksonville Beach FL to San Diego CA in under 41 hours on my DL1000, with +300,000 miles on the odometer. Your 650 will be fine. When my bike breaks or gets unreliable then I'll get a new one.

On a side note, you only live once. Do what you want to when you're young, whatever age that may be for any particular person. Ride, live, love and enjoy life to the fullest. This you wont ever regret.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the bike, but I question your cost calculations. If -- as I presume -- you are going to eat and sleep occasionally along the way I can't see how you could possibly make that trip for the $400 or so it would cost to fly round-trip.

If you have some secret low-cost formula I'd like to know about it.:confused:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Assumably since you've ridden cross country before ( previous posts) your question pertains to the longevity of the bike. Most last for many miles but only you can choose where and when you want to do those miles. But since you asked, life is short, ride it now. After an all nighter they may mistake you for a cadaver and start removing body parts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'd say take the bike. You may not get to do this again for many years. Being a doctor occupies almost all your time, and being in medical school does take all your time. The bike is good for it. It's a proven machine. As for age and being up to doing this kind of trip, I'll be 68 next month, and I'd do this trip in a heartbeat if it were me, so unless you're on death's door, you should be up to it, too. Have a blast while you still have the time.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Ride it. The engine isn't the concern. Renew all the fluids. Examine the tires, brakes, brake hoses, chain, sprockets, rubber cushion dampers in the rear hub, wheel bearings, swing arm and other rear suspension bearings. Renew those that show problems. Ride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did a similar 8000mi trip last June before I buckled down to chiropractic school. And all I can say is that I don't have one single regret. When I am sitting there in the library at at midnight thinking what the heck am I doing here, I take a five minute break to scan trough some photos of the trip and then get back at it in a whole lot better mood.
My two cents. Don't even hesitate, ride the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I did a similar 8000mi trip last June before I buckled down to chiropractic school. And all I can say is that I don't have one single regret. When I am sitting there in the library at at midnight thinking what the heck am I doing here, I take a five minute break to scan trough some photos of the trip and then get back at it in a whole lot better mood.
My two cents. Don't even hesitate, ride the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, but did you need an adjustment after that ride with the stock seat? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Take the bike. You'll remember it forever. It may be decades before you can do it again with school, job, family and other things that will always be more of a priority. This trip can get you through the tough days knowing another trip is on the other end of responsibilities.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
I would ride....as a matter of fact I would leave a few weeks early and make it a vacation to remember. You should cram as much life into that trip as possible.

I would however make sure I don't get tangled up with any chubby little waitresses at a place called "Joe's Diner". That has all the makings of a grade B movie plot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts