1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Reactions: BamaNorman

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I use it to balance tires. It works fine for that and doesn't make a mess when changing tires. I get better tire mileage than just about anyone else's reports I've seen. I haven't had a puncture in the seven years I've used it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I've used Ride-on since I bought my Wee in 2008. Only one flat that I discovered the next morning after a normal commute home. I'm convinced Ride-on made the difference in plugging the tire in my garage instead of on the side of the road. There was a nail in the tread.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I have used Ride On off and on. Never had a flat when using it. However, never had a flat when not using it either so I can't say one way or another as far as flat prevention goes. That being said, a friend had a pinhole leak in his tire right on the centerline. Ride On failed to plug it. Because of this, I quit spending $25+ per tire. Still waiting, 50k miles later, for a flat. Maybe I am just lucky.
Rod

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
... Maybe I am just lucky.
Rod
Must be. I think every new tire I've ever bought came with a factory-installed nail that just took me some time to find. I've ridden more miles on plugs than not. No flats with ultra-seal, and perfectly balanced tires. Haven't used it in the GS, yet, as I am nervous about the TPM. Website says no known problems, so I will decide at the first tire change, I think.

Ultra-seal - was about $50/gal when I bought, but five year shelf life, IIRC. Still have some left, but will have to reorder at next tire change. One bike, one scooter, a couple of tire changes each, and I might recall putting some in the Explorer tires, but not certain.

I also plan on testing it next time I change tires. Always mean to, but forget.

Reactions: BamaNorman

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I do not use sealants in my bike tires. But I do on my ATV because it gets ridden on my hunting lease that has tons of thorns. I use slime....which is not my point.

My point is, I reuse the slime several times. When I dismount the tires I scoop it out and put it back in the gallon jug with some fresh stuff, then reapply it to the new set of rubber. I doubt it wears out....but it does thicken with contact with air, so recycle it promptly.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I've used Ride-On for a number of years and through several tire changes. I use it mostly for balancing. The potential puncture sealing is just a bonus.

I picked up a nail with the original rear tire with Ride-On installed but it went in at the edge of the tire and came out on the side so it may not have completely penetrated. The tire never leaked air and I ran the tire till it wore out.

One drawback is you do have to be a little careful when changing a tire or some of the goop (it is the consistency of snot) can fall out. Most of it stays stuck to the tire but some can drip/drop out if you turn the tire vertical too quickly. I've never seen it on the rim though, just around the inside of the tire.

I had a tire sitting in the corner of the garage waiting for disposal, it was there for about a year, and I had used Ride-On in it. There was still Ride-On dispersed around the tire, some areas more than others. And a few (2-3) small gobs of Ride-On dripped out on the floor over time.

Overall I have been happy with its performance and continue to use it.

YMMV

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ride on tire sealant.

I use it to balance tires. It works fine for that and doesn't make a mess when changing tires. I get better tire mileage than just about anyone else's reports I've seen. I haven't had a puncture in the seven years I've used it.
GrayWolf... Did you take off the small rim weights when you put in the ride on and use a whole bottle per tire?? thx...

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
GrayWolf... Did you take off the small rim weights when you put in the ride on and use a whole bottle per tire?? thx...
Not GW, but should be relevant. I took off all weights from the Wee and did test rides before and after adding sealant. Noticeable difference. Perfect balance with sealant.

Will probably leave the weights on the GS as they counter the TPS units.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I took the weights off when I changed the tires.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
One small problem is that Ride-On, and maybe the others, add about a half-pound of unsprung weight to the rotating assembly. That's not horrible, but it's never good. Less unsprung weight is better, and less rotating weight is even better.
On a street bike it would be a minor issue. On a MX bike it would be a major issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This video shows the principle of how it works. Centrifugal force moves the balancing medium to the light side. Jump to 2:00.
Video-How-Centramatic-Balancers-Work - Centramatic Wheel Balancer, Tire Balancers for DFW Trucks

One small problem is that Ride-On, and maybe the others, add about a half-pound of unsprung weight to the rotating assembly. That's not horrible, but it's never good. Less unsprung weight is better, and less rotating weight is even better.
LOL.. That is for car and truck tires.. I am not putting shot in my tires in solution.... The ride-on that does not weigh much at all. I was wondering if it would go in and balance out when riding and apparently it does... thx...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've got about 11 oz in front and maybe 13 oz in the rear on my bikes. It works well for balance. Haven't tested it yet on puncture. Good point made about adding rotating weight, but I feel that it's a rounding error with my K60s.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have not had a flat since H.S. on my RD 350. Uh, that was like 45 years ago. Did I just jinx myself??
Have ridden on some god awful goat trails, hit potholes and run through all kinds of shiite, while traversing this continent by moto.

Think I'll ask Santa for a new compressor and plug kit this year eh??

·
Registered
865 Posts
The local roads seem to be full of nails and I've just repaired my 3rd puncture in 4 years, so any updates on which pre-puncture treatment is the flavour of the month?

·
Registered
59 Posts
At about 2,000 miles I had a 16 penny nail, a present from the road god, go in my tread area and naturally poke juuust through my bead area. I was able to stop the main leak with a plug with no prob BUT just that pinhole into the bead was the tire killer.
I saw an ad on RideOn and was also wondering if it worked as well as stated or any other brand. I am not too happy with SLIME with car tires which we used on many runs from Michigan to Alaska and back. I realize that is apples and oranges to bike tires and saw the post of someone that does use it. When I talked to my dealer about added things like this they said they were not to pleased on changing tires with additives. I would do my own changes but my work life caused me some serious injuries so doing much like that is difficult now.
I guess I would like to reup the question if for someone like me an additive like RideOn or Ultraseal may be beneficial and if longer tire wear is noted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Love Ride-On... better than slime and balances the tire too... u can take off you external wheel weights most of the time.. I did w/ no problem noticeable... if going far i would still carry my little plug kit and air compressor...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts