StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put Ride-On in my Strom tires. The Wee is fine. The V now shakes, where it didn't before the application of Ride-On. It is most noticeable at an indicated 90mph. I gave it about three miles at speed. These are the same tires I had on it at the Labor Day Weekend Rally and they ran smoothly then. One change since then, I put in a new rear tire valve stem because the one previously installed was bent in a scary way. It hadn't started to leak but I didn't think it was a good idea to wait for a catastrophic failure. Anyway, the point is, I've got a shake. The question is, is this normal? Does it sometimes take several high speed miles for the proclaimed balancing to take effect? I put 6oz in the front and 8oz in the rear. The only other parameter that is different is chain tension. I set it slightly tighter than I usually do. It's around 25mm from down to up with finger pressure. I believe that's right where the book says it is supposed to be. Previously, I used 25mm between up with finger pressure and no pressure.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've never had a problem with Ride-On and it shouldn't take more than a mile or two to distribute itself. Is that 25mm on the side stand at the tightest point in the run?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually do the chain adjustment with the bike on a lift, where it's upright but with the bike's weight on the tire. This last time, I was too lazy to put a jack under it and look for the tightest spot. I'll check that tomorrow.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good post, LordSmoke, but a little depressing to a guy who just bought a case of Ride-On. Oh well. I'll loosen my chain a tad and see if the shaking goes away. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Okay, I found the chain maybe slightly tight but probably not tighter than spec. I reset it to 30mm. Couldn't see much difference in slack (tight spot) after several wheel revolutions. I wonder if my basic imbalance might be beyond the ability of Ride-On to correct? It's possible that I simply didn't notice the vibration since putting on new tires because I don't usually go an indicated 90mph anymore and when I do for some reason, passing usually, I'm paying more attention to road and traffic than to bike tremors? After charging the tires with Ride-On, I was of course hoping for buttery smoothness and looking for it. Confirmed that the vibration remained after loosening the chain a touch. Crap.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking about DirtDad's weird tire wear thread, I bumped the front tire pressure to 41 psi (max stated on sidewall) and went for another spin. It still has a fast quiver at 90mph but it is much less. Hmm. Maybe the Anakee is just a shaky tire? Funny that it isn't noticeable before you put the 6 oz of Ride-on in it. The Wee is still wearing its original TrailWing on the front. Anybody know how Ride-On performs in a knobby front tire at high speed?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ultra Seal

Next time I am going to try UltraSeal, designed for the military to plug bullet holes.[/QUOTE]

So where can you buy Ultra Seal. I check the internet and could only find Gemplers but they do not sell the type used in cars or motorcycles called "Highway Performance".

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ride on

I used it and went on a 6,000 mile trip. I got a slight wobble at 30 mph (only if I took my hands off the bars) while on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but nothing at higher speed. Funny thing is I don't get any wobble at all now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You didn't say whether you removed the original wheel weights when you added the Ride On. If you still have the weights on, try removing them. The Ride On should balance the wheel assembly just fine without the weights.

George

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used Ride on in my KLR's D606 full knobbies and it made a noticable difference in smoothness. I was pleased with the balance it provided. The plugging ability was much more questionable. I got a nail through a knob on the rear tire and it didn't plug the tube at all just leaked out and made a mess inside the tire to cleanup when I changed the tube.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
While I found the Ride-On to balance my tire just fine, I only used it in the rear, my issue came when I had to replace the tire while on the road.

Be advised that if you're unable to change your own tires for whatever reason some dealers will tack on an extra fee to change a tire that has any sort of sealer in it.

I got hit to the tune of $90 for labor, I took the wheel off in the parking lot so they only had to swap out the tire. It's too bad, if I wasn't 5000 miles from home I would've changed it myself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got hit to the tune of $90 for labor, I took the wheel off in the parking lot so they only had to swap out the tire. It's too bad, if I wasn't 5000 miles from home I would've changed it myself.
That dealer wouldn't get another penny of my money. You got raped...:weapons_84:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You didn't say whether you removed the original wheel weights when you added the Ride On. If you still have the weights on, try removing them. The Ride On should balance the wheel assembly just fine without the weights.

George
Good point. I left whatever weights just as they were. I'll try popping them off.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
That's the point

That dealer wouldn't get another penny of my money. You got raped...:weapons_84:
More than likely the dealer is hoping never to see another tire with sealer in it. That fee was a suggestion to take it someplace else next time. Probably no way to get the tire off without getting sealer all over the machine, which then entails quite a bit of clean-up time. At $60 an hour shop labor rate, perhaps not unreasonable. If the tire is junk anyway, might be worth while to drill a couple of good-sized holes in the tire (3/4"?) and flush the sealant out with a garden hose prior to tire removal.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Ride-On, unlike Slime, stays in the circumference of the tire and skins over. It is not messy in a tubeless tire. I've changed four sets of tires with it and would never know the stuff is in there except by seeing it after the tire was off.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ride-On, unlike Slime, stays in the circumference of the tire and skins over. It is not messy in a tubeless tire. I've changed four sets of tires with it and would never know the stuff is in there except by seeing it after the tire was off.
I was just thinking this. When I changed my last tire the ride-on was in the center of the tire, there was no extra mess.

I can't swear that ride-on helped or not, but that last tire change was after finding a very nasty roofing staple in the center of my half worn rear diablo strada :( I don't know how long it was there but the pressure had gone from 38 to 24 and the tire was still safe and drivable.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have reused the ride on in my tires its easy to scoop out and really does not make a mess .Sounds like that dealer was a prick.
You're reusing your tire sealant? Man, you need a 650. :biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts