StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Am interested in taking this 4 hour course in Greensboro NC sometime this spring/summer https://www.ridelikeapro.com/training-locations/north-carolina/
Possible dates are April 22 May 20 and June 24th. Wonder if there is anyone else in Va interested?

Mark
I would join but I just signed up for bikesafenc course on April 21.
http://www.bikesafenc.com/about_us

Though the ridelikeapro course does sound good for slow-speed skills, which I desperately need to work on.
Y'all will have fun with whichever course you take. Griff, you should try them both! Many years ago I took a RLAP course which got me hooked on cones and eventually began teaching that very class and competing in cone competitions. Here I am demonstrating for a class that yes, you can turn a big bike in a small circle

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty impressive!!!
Going to be a long drive from Poquoson, in Southeast VA, but seems to be worth it.
Wish there were advanced courses closer to home.
Mark

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Pretty impressive!!!
Going to be a long drive from Poquoson, in Southeast VA, but seems to be worth it.
Wish there were advanced courses closer to home.
Mark
A road trip adventure with an overnight stay, can't beat that!
I used to ride from San Francisco Bay Area to Los Angeles to the old RLAP there, 350 miles each way. Make it a fun ride and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Y'all will have fun with whichever course you take. Griff, you should try them both!

I am actually considering making a long weekend out of it. I'd take the RideSafeNC course here in AVL Friday, then as soon as it's done, hit the roads (fun roads 4+ hours or Interstate 40 2.5 hours) to G'boro for the RLAP course on Saturday.

Just have to clear it with the wife...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Be sure you have a very good clutch when you take the RLAP course. Basically it involves feathering the clutch quite a lot. A friend took it on a Goldwing and then practiced quit a lot, all was good. He then took it on a Victory Cross Country and after a short while of practice his clutch had burned up. His skill levels was basically the same on each bike but the Victory's clutch did not hold up so well.
YMMV

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Be sure you have a very good clutch when you take the RLAP course. Basically it involves feathering the clutch quite a lot. A friend took it on a Goldwing and then practiced quit a lot, all was good. He then took it on a Victory Cross Country and after a short while of practice his clutch had burned up. His skill levels was basically the same on each bike but the Victory's clutch did not hold up so well.
YMMV
Something else must have been up with the Victory to have burnt out the clutch. It's amazing how well modern clutches hold up after being in the friction zone in day after day cone practice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Already cleared with mine :)
Not sure which date, April is a possibility.
Wife OK'd me being gone. So yeah, going to make a weekend out of skills courses. Doing the April 22 RLAP. mpom, if you decide to take it on that date, let me know. Would be cool to have a fellow strommer there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Waiting on work schedule to come out in the next week or 2, and if off that weekend then am going.
We might be the only non Harleys there, but skills is skills...

Mark

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife OK'd me being gone. So yeah, going to make a weekend out of skills courses. Doing the April 22 RLAP. mpom, if you decide to take it on that date, let me know. Would be cool to have a fellow strommer there.
Cannot make it that weekend, will try another time.
Can you give us an after action report on both?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, I took BikesafeNC course Friday. It's really a basic overview of some safety material, and 2 assessment rides. That's the best part, you ride with motor officers who critique your ride(s) before and after going over the "System". It's free if your state/locality has it. In my class, there were only 2 folks who showed up to participate, because it was likely to rain. it didn't. That meant I got a 3 to 2 trainer/assessor to student ratio.

Saturday I took the Home?Ride Like a Pro - North Carolina course in Greensboro. JD was great. I did drop the bike once, was not the only one. That said, I feel much more capable at slow speeds than I did before. I haven't had a chance to practice since the class (just 4 days ago). Definitely worth the time and money ($156 + hotel in gboro). I was pretty happy that I could (and was first to do) the iron cross. When we started the class I said there's no f**cking way. It was entertaining the % of class that said, "I've been riding for [insert # decades here]" that couldn't do a U-turn within 24 feet.

I would recommend both classes to any rider.

·
Registered
48 Posts
RLAP

Many years ago I took a RLAP course which got me hooked on cones and eventually began teaching that very class and competing in cone competitions.

Trapperdog : I see you are in the bay area. Where do you teach at ?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yeah, I took BikesafeNC course Friday. It's really a basic overview of some safety material, and 2 assessment rides. That's the best part, you ride with motor officers who critique your ride(s) before and after going over the "System". It's free if your state/locality has it. In my class, there were only 2 folks who showed up to participate, because it was likely to rain. it didn't. That meant I got a 3 to 2 trainer/assessor to student ratio.

Saturday I took the Home?Ride Like a Pro - North Carolina course in Greensboro. JD was great. I did drop the bike once, was not the only one. That said, I feel much more capable at slow speeds than I did before. I haven't had a chance to practice since the class (just 4 days ago). Definitely worth the time and money ($156 + hotel in gboro). I was pretty happy that I could (and was first to do) the iron cross. When we started the class I said there's no f**cking way. It was entertaining the % of class that said, "I've been riding for [insert # decades here]" that couldn't do a U-turn within 24 feet.

I would recommend both classes to any rider.
Good on you! Practice when you can and while the information is fresh. You won't need cones, just an empty lot with lines.
Believe it or not, the VSTROM is capable of turns in the 16' range

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Many years ago I took a RLAP course which got me hooked on cones and eventually began teaching that very class and competing in cone competitions.

Trapperdog : I see you are in the bay area. Where do you teach at ?
Same here. I saw a Motors Rodeo many years ago, took an RLAP class and was hooked. Eventually taught that same class after other courses. Now mostly just help out at various classes now and then
Having some ex Motors friends has helped tremendously as I've been able to ride Police training courses as well as Competition courses around the state. I had to buy an ST1300P and fit it up to stop getting kidded about bringing out the Vee though.
Motors Comps are getting few and far between though http://www.setcomcorp.com/police-motorcycle-training-rodeo-competition-calendar-2017.html

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh, I believe it. We did the 360 in 20', and once I got the hang of it, I spun in much shorter than that.
I'm not capable of it, but the bike is capable of 16' turns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts