1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
5'8" and the bike is too tall?!?! shit, i'm 5'5" and it fits me fine. if she expects to absolutely flat foot a bike, she will be seriously limited i anything that has any off road ability at all.

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
My personal experience is with the '07 model (the one in my avatar). I don't have the bike anymore, so I'm relying on memory: I installed whatever the longest lowering links I could get at the time (at least 1") and lowered the front (by raising) forks by about 3/4". Even still, at least twice I fell over because my outstretched leg didn't catch the ground as expected. My pants inseam is roughly 31" and I would miss the right side when the road had any sort of crown. I had no issues with clearance. If I was off road, it was to travel across the earth, not to race across it, so I never crossed anything that I thought would scrape (meaning I chose my path with at least a little discression). It's only an inch.

I sat on a 2012 model yesterday in the showroom. I was pleased to find that my feet touched the ground pretty well. Not flat-footed, but almost. It seems to me that the same method of lowering that I used before would be even more beneficial with the new bike. If she's already a rider, then she will be less likely to get into the precarious positions that a tall bike might bring to a new rider. If she's a new rider and concerned about the height, the BMW 650 single is said to be much lower in the seat and instills confidence when offroad as a result. Something to consider.

The whole question of lowering is pretty much about about being able to hold the bike up when stopped/stopping/starting, right? Once it gets rolling, the point is moot. Also, sometimes folks shorten the kickstand when they lower the bike. I left mine stock, but would pull on the bike a little toward the kickstand so that the rear shock would relax and raise just a bit, which then allowed it to be firmly planted on the stand. Again, never an issue with that.

I hope you get some helpful comments. Internet people often seem eager to judge instead of answer the questions.

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
I love this BMW photo. That's the 650 on the left. I'd say it's a capable ride for Montana, considering what this person has put it through in Alaska.

It's a photo off the web - not mine and I wish I could give credit where due:

·
Registered
818 Posts
that's a tough pic!:yesnod:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts