StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco via Pacific Coast Highway to get a feel of how it is to ride 500 miles non stop in one day. Anyone interested? I want to do this in January

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I want to ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco via Pacific Coast Highway to get a feel of how it is to ride 500 miles non stop in one day. Anyone interested? I want to do this in January
It's chilly along the coast, so dress warmly. It also is a pretty slow road, not like I-5. So a 500 mile day is a LONG ride along the coast. It's beautiful, though, so enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Unless you going to SF for something besides to turn around and come back.....I'd take the 5 north and HWY1 back home. The ride south on the 1 is much better. Most pullouts will be on the same side, and traffic is a little better going south....IMO :D

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
jrnyer is right. Go south and keep the coast on your side.
Actually doing a 500 mile day is not hard. Doing 500 miles on a traffic laden roadway can be a real pain.
If you are into sight seeing and dining stops and the like, 500 miles is a very long day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replies. I'm planning this trip to get ready for cross country road trip to Indiana to see if I can pull it off. going north on the 5 freeway coming back on the coast sounds perfect. you guys are right. that's why I'm reaching out here cuz I know you guys know.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
The motorcycle museum is in Solvang. Weird little Dutch looking Disnyland type town. Stop at Phils Fish Market in Morrow Bay for the best Ciappino in the world. Elephant seals at Ano Nuevo, Getty Mansion are also great stops. I know, you're trying to do a 500 mile day but there is soooo much to see along the PCH.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Elephant seals...Way Cool Beasts. Big, ugly, smelly and noisy. Just like my brothers!
This is the rutting and birthing season so they are worth a couple minutes stop for a gander. This is just about Hearst's castle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta love the D70. The pic i posted on page one of the blue wee thread was taken with my D70.
Usually i just throw it in my top box due to the small size of my tank bag. But that requires putting it in a camera bag first, which ends up taking up too much room. I need to find a really thin case for it and an extra lens. Something to protect more from scratches than from a fall.
Ready to roll notacop?

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
My wifey wants to go do the Morro Bay thing so I may be that way in the car in the next couple weeks. We'll go see the Rolly Polley sea beasts while there.
I an going to Anza Borrego the 1st-2nd of Feb. It's the screw the Super Bowl campout

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me know how the ride goes. I am planning on the same trip in February. I will be leaving sf and visiting a buddy in LA. Wife is going to NYC to visit family so I am hoping timing works out.

Any pointers you discover are appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me know how the ride goes. I am planning on the same trip in February. I will be leaving sf and visiting a buddy in LA. Wife is going to NYC to visit family so I am hoping timing works out.

Any pointers you discover are appreciated.
Rain shut down the ride. I'm itching to get out of LA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts