StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody got a picture of these things in 'exploded' view?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Ricor rear shock and intiminators in the forks on the KLR. Now wondering if that rear is the same one they market for the DL650. Might have to swap the stocker back into the klr before I let it go.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
They make one for the DL-650. I'm working on them to make one for the 1000 with it's cartridge.
The intimidator for the DL 1000 would be the same as a gold valve just being offered up by another competitor. Not a bad idea though competition could help all of us win.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

Two sections to this damping valve. The hex nut on the top unscrews to allow the brass spool "inertia" valve to slip off, along with its spring. No real reason to take this apart unless you want to experiment with opening the ports under the spool valve for the high velocity compression damping--you'd need a Dremel burr about the size of a dentist's drill. The way this works is when the forks have low velocity compression, the spool valve held by its light spring moves up & down with the rest of the assembly and fluid flow is through the lower shim stack. When there is high velocity up movement, the spool valve floats on its spring as the rest of the assembly moves up through it, thus uncovering the ports to let fluid flow through both these HV ports and the LV shim stack.

The lower end is for the low velocity damping controlled by the spring steel shim stack. I used a $5.95 face spanner from the hardware store power tools section and 5/16" (size?) Allen wrench to unscrew the lower assembly. The shims can be added, subtracted, or thicker or thinner substitutes. Careful--aluminum threads. The center hex appears to unscrew clockwise, 'cuz you're looking up at the bottom. Don't overtwist the aluminum threads.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out. Bike feels good with 3 x .012 shims and 1.0 Sonic springs. (Brian's recommendation based on what I told him about my situation). He said they had a DL650 in there for about 3 weeks recently.

I'm done for now and basically happy -- I'm very tired of swapping springs, emulators, intiminators, and oil weights.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
3 z 0.012 shims? - sure is not 5 x0.012 shims??:confused:

here is one exploded view:

Early "testers" have to content with 0.015x2 + 0.012 x 4 - killer rock hard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts