StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot about this product. I would appreciate any insight(s) you might share if you have installed them on your bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't have them on the Vee, but they made a big improvement on my KLR. They seem so small and inconspicuous, but they actually work well. I got them several years back when they were new and Ricor had them for 50% off. I think the regular retail is pricey, but if you want to upgrade your front end, it's still a relatively inexpensive way to do it. These and a fork brace should make most folks happy.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
front end shock?

I am interested in how much of "zap" is gone when one rides over ridges on roads...like interstate highways.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I am interested in how much of "zap" is gone when one rides over ridges on roads...like interstate highways.
If you do everything that AceRider summarizes, they make the front suspension as good as it can get without going to Traxxion forks. There are long threads on both these and RaceTech valves on this forum. Bring a lunch if you intend to read them. :yesnod:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ordered and expect to have em in a few days.Going in using Ricor instructions only.Will be interesting to see how they preform with no other mods.They are excellent in my KLR.

·
Registered
362 Posts
very interested

Ordered and expect to have em in a few days.Going in using Ricor instructions only.Will be interesting to see how they preform with no other mods.They are excellent in my KLR.
Hi Maccaoz, I think you have an L2 -- so I am really interested to find how these Intiminator's work on your bike. I'm thinking seriously about them too.
The NSW roads are 3rd world standard (IMO), and I ride a bit of gravel - which of course includes corrugations.
Have you still got the stock rear shock fitted?
thanks

Oh -- I see I tagged along on an older post
and you have answered your above post at
http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/76643-intiminator-summary-mods-make-work-great-3.html

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I installed them a week or so back. Didn't do anything other than remove all the fork oil I could from the top, drop the intiminators in, and replace the spacers with 25mm shorter PVC tube and top up with 5W Castrol fork oil. (My preload was about topped out before, 15mm would have put me where I was before).

They work brilliantly, perhaps a bit harsher on relatively smooth roads than the emulators in the front of my K6, but better off road. (Note that the L2 is better off road anyway). The nice thing is, the harder you push , the better they work. Really noticeable stability improvements under hard braking on road as well.

Note that they did 'soften' up a bit over a week or so, probably the seal bedding in, so don't 'fiddle' until you've run them for a while.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
The shim stack they are shipped with these days are a lot better suited to vstrom than earlier days. PeterW, the harshness on smoother roads was the biggest adavantage your old tuned emulator has over the intinminator,,, the 1mm bypass holes "solve" that issue.

Not saying u need to do all the mods, but each one address a characteristic of the intiminator system- by all means just throw it in, ride a little then see which way u want to improve, and do the mod accordingly..

Good luck

·
Registered
423 Posts
I really appreciate the improvement on my L2.

But, I think the rear Inertia valve on it is even better. I only rode it about 20 miles yesterday, but, I hit every pothole, chunk of rock, and rough transition joint that I could find. While I could still feel some of the hit through the front end, on many of those hits, the rear tire felt like it might have entirely missed the bad spot! I mean, it was even closer to a smooth Magic Carpet Ride than I expected, based upon my experience with several other products on different bikes, as well as the Inertia valve on a KLR and XLR I had on two previous bikes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I really appreciate the improvement on my L2.

But, I think the rear Inertia valve on it is even better. I only rode it about 20 miles yesterday, but, I hit every pothole, chunk of rock, and rough transition joint that I could find. While I could still feel some of the hit through the front end, on many of those hits, the rear tire felt like it might have entirely missed the bad spot! I mean, it was even closer to a smooth Magic Carpet Ride than I expected, based upon my experience with several other products on different bikes, as well as the Inertia valve on a KLR and XLR I had on two previous bikes.
Was just over at Ricor's site and no info on the rear Inertia valve, I see they are selling replacement shocks. So...... whats the story.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Was just over at Ricor's site and no info on the rear Inertia valve, I see they are selling replacement shocks. So...... whats the story.
I wrote to Brian, asked if he could make a shock to fit my bike, and he said, "Yes". I thought the OEM shock was pretty good, and I really like the remote pre-load adjuster. But, the one quick test I took on the RICOR shock, the I'm more than pleased with the improved ride quality. :yesnod:

Oh, I re-read your post. Yes, it it an entirely different shock, not just a valving change to the OEM shock.

It's on there under "Dual Sport", then "Suzuki", then at the bottom of that page under all the Iniminator info. When I clicked on the shock, it asks for weight, year, etc. Brian knows there have been some slight changes through the years, and he makes adjustments for those changes. For example, not only does the 2012 have a SLIGHTLY longer suspension travel, I think the bearing sleeve on the clevis pin went up to a 30.5 mm width....the earlier ones were a mm shorter. Anyway, I'm not someone that keeps up with those things, but, he does, and that's why they ask for additional info regarding year of the bike, rider weight, and riding conditions. If you get one, you won't be sorry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts