StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago I ordered a Rick Mayer seat for my VEE,he had a special for $269.00.Everybody I spoke with,that had one said 2 things !!.1,,The seats are GREAT,and 2..he is very hard to get in touch with..When I finally did get intouch with him all was good and he gave a build date.The seat arrived a week late ( no big deal,he had a grand child and was alittle behind ).The seat was awsome,very well built and comfy.After about 1,000 miles it started to settle a bit and hurt my inner thighs a bit.I was gonna send it back for a FREE adjustment,but thought I would wait and let it settle a bit more.We decided to take a 11 day bike trip and at some point go thru Anderson CA,and stop in and see Rick.Today I left my wife in the hotel in Redding and rode to Ricks place.He is VERY rural and in a beautiful place,I pulled up right 9am and they were just getting started.There was a couple on a new GS ahead of me but they were getting there seat built,not adjusted.I met his staff ( 2 others ) and then Rick came in.He is a very nice guy,and made me feel right at home.He asked me what was hurting me and then had me sit on the bike and did some checking.He said that the way the pans are built for the strom,they tend to push the rider forward and that was the problem.They stripped off the cover,and he added foam to the front and sides and then carved it a bit.They layed the cover over it and I went for a ride ( mostly dirt,he lives on a long dirt road ).It felt GREAT,I was pushed back,into the bucket where I was supposed to be.They glued the cover back on and stappled it down,shook my hand and sent me on my way..It took a total of about 2.5 hours and I DIDN'T have a appointment !!.Rick is a GREAT guy,his staff are very nice,he has ICE cold water ( it has been around 104 degrees down here ) and treats you like family..I would HIGHLY recommend his seats..

The old foam..

The new foam..

Reinsalling the cover !!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I THINK I saw your seat today.They were marking the centerlines on a strom seat and putting it on the "ready to build" shelf.Here is a pic of it..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tried to take advantage of his special...... after several calls and no reply for two weeks I ordered a Russel............ glad it worked for you.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His dad is the inventer of the Russel..
Here is a few more pics,Rick is one helluva a guitar player !!.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ride-in

A ride-in appointment is definitely the way to go with Rick. I had him build one for me six years ago and I still love it. The price you mentioned is quite a bit less than what I payed... must be recession pricing!

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definately try to do a ride in for a custom seat. I had Rick's brother build me seats for my FJR from pictures and descriptions, but even after two return trips via UPS it still wasn't right. I ended up selling the bike before I got it right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought my wee seat on the same special in June as a few others. Much better that the stock seat. I have to agree with the other posts however, he is not very responsive to emails or phone calls. This can be quite frustrating so be ready if you buy one of his saddles. If you can do it, the walk in appointment would save a :headbang:lot of frustration.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was there when he ( Rick ) was listening to voicemails,he transfered most of them to his wife for follow up.He did call back a few but not many.The adjustments he made to my seat were minor,He raised the front so it would push me back into the BUCKET area he built before,works much better now.I have about 400 miles on it,2 up ( Andersen to Grants Pass via hwy 101 ) and it feels better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was there when he ( Rick ) was listening to voicemails,he transfered most of them to his wife for follow up.He did call back a few but not many.The adjustments he made to my seat were minor,He raised the front so it would push me back into the BUCKET area he built before,works much better now.I have about 400 miles on it,2 up ( Andersen to Grants Pass via hwy 101 ) and it feels better.
I have the exact same issue - I would love to have my ass back up in the bucket...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my wee seat on the same special in June as a few others. Much better that the stock seat. I have to agree with the other posts however, he is not very responsive to emails or phone calls. This can be quite frustrating so be ready if you buy one of his saddles. If you can do it, the walk in appointment would save a :headbang:lot of frustration.
I was initially a little frustrated too when I ordered mine. They charged my credit card immediatlely but I didn't get a confirmation e-mail or production date. After a couple of weeks of failed attempts to reach them by phone, they finally gave me a production date.

It will be worth it though if I have a happy tush on my trip I have planned a few weeks from now.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Howard,we just spent last night in your wonderful city,AWSOME Italian food !!!.My butt is not use to the new seat yet,only about 600 miles so far BUT I think it will work well in time.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Very Satisfied Rick Mayer Customer

Although I've heard nothing but good things about the Day Long seats, I decided to go with Mayer because of the substantially lower cost and the promised delivery date (order Jan, deliver by 3/4).

I just spent a week on the bike, and I cannot believe the difference the new seat has made. Where I used to get cramps after a couple of hours, I rode all "day long" with no seat issues at all. Not only did I not have butt problems, but the more supportive seat kept my back (2 compression fractures) from bothering me as much as it used to.

The seat is also very good looking, it has the scoop shape that you see on the Day Long, but it's narrower and (IMO) fits the lines of the bike better. The vinyl is very attractive, as is the stitching. Truth is, now that I've seen and felt how great this seat is, I kinda wish I'd sprung for leather.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts

Just got mine back from Rick today - I'm stoked how it fits [only did the garage sit test]. The workmanship is top notch, and it really does blend in with the bike, unlike many of the tractor seats I've seen on other bikes - that was a relief! I even got the rear passenger portion done, which will really make my wife happy on longer rides. Can't wait to bury some white castles into it on a long ride!

·
Registered
287 Posts
after tryin the suzuki gel. the sargent .the corbin and the rick mayer i gotta say its the second

best seat i tried.. FINALLY got a russell. WOOOHOOO

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Another vote for the Rick Mayer seat. Haven't tried a Russell, but "day-long" describes the Mayer also. Unlike the OEM, Sargent and Corbin my butt rejected.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have about 10,000 miles on mine now and still going strong.It has settled a little but not much,still feels good.If anybody gets a chance to Visit Rick at his shop/home DO IT !!.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I have about 10,000 miles on mine now and still going strong.It has settled a little but not much,still feels good.If anybody gets a chance to Visit Rick at his shop/home DO IT !!.
Hey you - I just got some Kolpin ATV mitts, kinda like you have. Do you have any issues with them - I am in the process of modifying them so they work with my mirror stalks. My only concern is with wind pressure affecting my brake lever at speed.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine are HIPPO HANDS that are made for my bike.They cost alittle more ( $100.00) BUT I will never ride in the winter without them EVER again !!.They mount to the stock hand guards with a big piece of velcro so they can't hit anything.You don't really notice them until about 80mph and then you can feel the drag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts