StromTrooper banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Peg lowering kit is the bomb. Everyone over about 40 years old needs to get one. Of course if you are a peg dragger........just get a Gixxer or K1200S. A bit more money, but saves the Vstrom pegs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No peg dragging for me.

I have 36" inseam and while I haven't complained about the leg room, I'm thinking it will be a pretty nice addition!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Installed my fork brace. Easy enough to do, but as typical I screwed it up the first time.
In my head the long bolt should go in the outer bolt holes. This is of course wrong.....

I haven't had a lot of spirited riding recently, but my head says the handling is a bit lighter and feels more solid at the same time. Even if it is all in my head, I'm glad I got one!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another shout out for some fork brace love! Immediate notice of improvement in handling of my Vee. More planted and stable at illegal speeds and really helps cut through the cross winds and truck turbulence. Can't believe how responsive the bike feels. Almost sport bike'ish. Was talking to my neighbor and telling him. His BMW has one molding in with the fender. I guess one company sees the benefits and incorporates it from the factory. Thanks Rick for the quick delivery!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am curious. Using the four available holes in the brace, has anyone tried mounting a spot/floodlight there? I am interested to see the results if so!

·
Vendor
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
There is not much room between the fork brace and the triple clamp at full compression of the fork tubes. It might be possible to put a light strip along the middle of the front, but I mounting anything between the fork brace and the triple clamp is at least "risky." I do not recommend it.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,494 Posts
There is not much room between the fork brace and the triple clamp at full compression of the fork tubes. It might be possible to put a light strip along the middle of the front, but I mounting anything between the fork brace and the triple clamp is at least "risky." I do not recommend it.
That sounds right, but what about if you had some kind of mount that hangs the lights down far enough that they can't hit anything, even with forks at full compression?

Should work OK most of the time, I would think. I've seen lights mounted to the lower fork/wheel on BMW road bikes.

A sheetmetal bracket might do the trick - then again, might not be strong enough.

eta: Yeah, this has definitely been done before:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/209298-lights-mounted-lower-forks.html

·
Vendor
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
You can mount lights where the reflectors mount on the lower fork tubes. That has been done many, many times. They are subject to more vibration/jarring there since they do not have the benefit of the suspension, but many people do it. I think our light bars are a better solution.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/suzuki-auxiliary-led-lighting.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fork brace and mirror extenders - 09' DL1000

I ordered the above for my 2009 DL1000 on September 17 from Adventure Tech and they were in my post office box here in Ontario Canada today.

Today, after installing the fork braces and the mirror extenders, I went for a 10km ride. It's windy here today along the eastern shore of Lake Huron and I'm so happy to report that these two "fixes" quietened down my ride and made things so much more stable. The front tire seems more solidly planted on the pavement in both straight stretches and cornering. Buffeting and the effects of strong side winds are vastly reduced and in some cases seemingly eliminated.

Wow, these two purchases are the best money I've spent on a bike in some time.

What's not to like? Great products, reasonable prices and quick shipping.

Happy camper :smile2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased a for brace used in new condition from a member here and had it on by the time I went out on my second ride. I honestly tell the difference, there wasn’t too much time spent on the bike without it.

However, where I experienced a significant difference was on a bridge with heavy winds. On my old EX-500, it was always something I had issues with—it was wobbly and unstable to say the least. Now, I can ride through the wind with only the extra noise of the wind. I have a lot more confidence in the bike with the brace in those conditions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just wanted to chime in.
Received my brace today. Ordered it on Sunday and it was here by 1pm. That is super fast!
I didn't know what to expect. I had spent weeks reading reviews but you never know until you ride the bike. I didnt find a subtle difference. I thought it was a dramatic difference.

Seams in the road that would once catch my front wheel .. gone. It glides over them even steeped over in a turn like they weren't there.

Cross winds ... they didnt budge the bars where I used to hold on tight if I got a side burst.

The brakes felt like I had added antidive units. Nice and firm where before they would pogo

They even seemed to have removed the last of the bar vibration that was setting my right hand asleep. I dont know how it could have made a difference there but .. it did.

Overall it took what I thought was already a stable almost boring bike and made it more solid feeling. I thought the wheel wanting to flop over on turns was just a result of the bikes geometry and me not being used to the longer legs but now it feels solid like a rock. I ddid some tight uturns that before made the front end feel floppy and no worries.

Did some high speed curves on one of my favorite short routes and it felt more "sporty" Up to 80mph and the bike just feels entirely different.

For the price ... best upgrade I could have hoped for. Like I said .. a dramatic improvement. Everything about the ride today was confidence inspiring. Who would have known a $70 doodad could make that much difference!

Edited to add: Install with a short 5mm key took about 10 minutes including opening the package.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts